Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

To any atheists out there...

Monster

Forum Manager
Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Pistons
Detroit Red Wings
Michigan Wolverines
Sacramento Kings
Michigan Wolverines
Detroit Pistons
Do you celebrate christmas and easter? And if you do, is it the traditional celebration or do you do something differently?

I've only recently come out as an atheist. I still believe that there may be a God, but to think that any of the BS religions on this earth are legit seems to be a huge stretch.

Anyway, I know Christmas and Easter are technically religious holidays, but even when I was a kid, they were more of "family holidays", in which everyone got together, had a good time, and just being kind to people, especially those in need.

Is it wrong to celebrate christmas and easter if you're an atheist?

By definition you aren't atheist you're more agnostic, or maybe even an agnostic atheist. You fall in about the same boat as me, and like you I see the holidays as more of a time for family togetherness than a holy holiday, can't really say I do anything for Easter however.

If you consider that there may be a God, I think you're actually agnostic and not atheist, like adam said.

I personally don't think there's anything wrong with celebrating during those times of year. You're getting together with friends and family, enjoying life being kind to others, spreading love, and all that feel good shit...nothing wrong with that....besides Christmas was placed on December 25 to replace an old Pagan holiday, Yeshua's actual birth was more than likely in September, although some might argue April. However, most agree that it was definitely not December 25.

yeah, i'm an agnostic atheist....still an atheist though. lol

thanks for the responses. Seems like most people are giving me a pretty hard time. They say "you're trying to push your beliefs on me", but at the same time they constantly quote the bible and put it all over facebook.

christmas has always been important to me, so I'm glad I'm not the only one here.

If people really want to get their panties in a ruffle over it, you're actually practicing a lot of the qualities that their savior would want you to practice by observing the holiday. Sure you might not necessarily believe that he was born that day, maybe not born at all, or perhaps you believe he was real but was a magnificent con artist. Regardless, would they rather have you act like an asshole on Christmas or at least join in on celebrating, spreading cheer, peace and so forth? Maybe you should ask why they're celebrating on a Pagan holiday? Hahaha

Monster...some people will never be happy...

There are a lot of us out there you just don't realize it because it doesn't come up in normal conversation. The religious folks stand out more because they use religious verbiage.

[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]...

Anyway, I know Christmas and Easter are technically religious holidays, but even when I was a kid, they were more of "family holidays", in which everyone got together, had a good time, and just being kind to people, especially those in need.

it's not wrong. like you said, for most families, christmas and easter are more about getting together anyways. they're not really that religious.

a couple years ago some family members started giving me shit about not going to church at christmas, but I just told them I didn't agree with any of that stuff anymore, (being intentionally vague so they couldn't start trying to argue specific points) and that I didn't want to discuss it. They left me alone after that, and we've been ok ever since.

it helps that I came to grips with my lack of belief years ago, and am not trying to convince anyone else. I don't feel a need to tell people where I stand. however, I do talk shit on the internet sometimes still.

I have always been of the motto "Live and Let Live".
Never has mattered to me what religion anyone believes in or doesn't believe in, color of skin, nationality, heritage,
I guess it was instilled in me at an early age. There are good and bad in all kinds. Accept people. My best friends when I lived in Detroit as a kid were white, black, and chinese, from the time I moved to boston, it has been the same.
I was brought up Christian, and have not been a church goer since a teen.
I do believe in a God, kind of believe in Jesus, but always pray to God and not to Jesus,
One of my friends as a teen was agnostic, I respected his beliefs, same as a friend from an early age who is still a dear friend who is Jewish.
I have always thought from back then, maybe from seeing the elders at that time argue about religion, skin color, politics, I would never like/love or hate as a blanket feeling about anyone.
People want to believe in God is ok, people don't want to believe in God is ok.
just my 2 cents.

MichChamp02 said:
[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]...

it's not wrong. like you said, for most families, christmas and easter are more about getting together anyways. they're not really that religious.

a couple years ago some family members started giving me shit about not going to church at christmas, but I just told them I didn't agree with any of that stuff anymore, (being intentionally vague so they couldn't start trying to argue specific points) and that I didn't want to discuss it. They left me alone after that, and we've been ok ever since.

it helps that I came to grips with my lack of belief years ago, and am not trying to convince anyone else. I don't feel a need to tell people where I stand. however, I do talk shit on the internet sometimes still.

yeah my wife's family is deeply catholic and always try to drag me to church on christmas. It's hard to come up with an excuse every year not to go. But, this year, if they ask, I don't need an excuse.

Amen KC...if more people accepted "our" beliefs of understanding and acceptance the world would be a better place...but for whatever reason a lot of people are more concerned about "being right" than they are about being compassionate. The irony being that most are then violating the basic tenets of their own belief system by doing so...

[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]
MichChamp02 said:

yeah my wife's family is deeply catholic and always try to drag me to church on christmas. It's hard to come up with an excuse every year not to go. But, this year, if they ask, I don't need an excuse.

Heathen!
grin.png

elrod said:
Amen KC...if more people accepted "our" beliefs of understanding and acceptance the world would be a better place...but for whatever reason a lot of people are more concerned about "being right" than they are about being compassionate. The irony being that most are then violating the basic tenets of their own belief system by doing so...

Thanks elrod, I think what you wrote is so very true.
Life is simple, people fuck it up.

[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]
MichChamp02 said:

Yeah that conversation is going to go well ;-). When in-laws are involved they have a big to do about their son or daughter marrying someone with a different faith let alone no faith at all.

And the reason people with faith have problems with someone with no faith is because they grew up knowing God exist and it's impossible to fathom others differ from that. Its not because they "fk up". And its my experience people seem to say "I'm an Atheist more than ones who say I'm a believer and spout it all the time".

[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]
MichChamp02 said:

it might help to have you or your wife talk to the family patriarch or matriarch (whoever is in charge of the get togethers) ahead of time, so they know you're not going to go to church and can avoid any last minute unpleasantness or showdowns in front of everyone...

it could backfire if that person is a dick about it, and can't respect your position. they might try to pre-emptively turn everyone against you.

if that happens though, you should remind them that they're not being very christian.

good luck!

elrod said:

That's because religion is the product of fear of the after life. When someone beliefs are different that indifference is seen as a threat to ones on beliefs. I think the whole damn thing is stupid myself and the world would be a better place without religion.

I don't think KC meant people who believe in a particular faith fuck up by doing so, but those who cannot accept the fact that others may believe something different from them and then don't accept those people or perhaps even get physical and violent with others just for believing something different are those that "fuck it up."

Cool if you can't fathom something due to your upbringing, but try to understand and if you don't get it, be at peace with it anyhow.

Adam, what? You can say that because well, you're not religious.

adam86107 said:
elrod said:

That's because religion is the product of fear of the after life. When someone beliefs are different that indifference is seen as a threat to ones on beliefs. I think the whole damn thing is stupid myself and the world would be a better place without religion.

What I'm saying is that if you believe in something strongly, like God - it hard to believe others don't either. But for myself, I wouldn't be a dick if I knew someone that didn't believe.

elrod said:
I don't think KC meant people who believe in a particular faith fuck up by doing so, but those who cannot accept the fact that others may believe something different from them and then don't accept those people or perhaps even get physical and violent with others just for believing something different are those that "fuck it up."

Cool if you can't fathom something due to your upbringing, but try to understand and if you don't get it, be at peace with it anyhow.

Right, So many people want others to believe in their religion, politics etc.
It does beget violence. All the wars and deaths over the same probably account for more than all the plagues of mankind combined.

Back