Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Motherfucking "captchas" rant by "yours truly"

turok

Beginning to really hate more and more often being required to decipher those gawddamned (double) words that are distorted and have a line drawn thru them, when registering for the first time on a website, downloading software, or if you happen to fuck up typing in a password, user/screenname, and/or email addy to enter a forum,website, or messageboard, ect...

I mean...I realize that it is becoming increasingly necessary to do so, b/c of the very highly sophisticated bots, web bugs, and spiders crawling the www nowadays, and the owners, admins and/or managers of websites are trying to keep that type of spammer and malware-laden shit out of their servers and hair, b/c time is $$$ and cleaning up and clearing them out, once they have gained entry somehow is expensive and time-consuming.

But even when registering for gaining entry into an otherwise inaccessible website or secure page, it also usually means that not only does one then need to create a password and often a username, but provide a legitimate email address as well. Some of the more "anal" websites aren't even permitting "new" members to register while using any "free" email addys like Hotmail, Gmail, or Yahoo! email anymore. Then you usually are obligated to log onto your email provider that you used to register, to retrieve their acknowledgement/verification email while hoping that the email didn't get sent to the spam or trash folder, or even bounced back to sender, if you have a sophisticated email setup that uses heuristic filters to throw out what it considers to be spam or unsolicited crap from ever reaching your inbox.

So what is the real need or point for a fucking "captcha"anyway, if you can't or won't gain access to their fucking website after AFTER you open the registration email, and then also (usually) needing to click a link enclosed within the email in order to successfully register? Oh and btw, if you don't do so within a certain period of time (24 hrs most often) then the link expires and you will have to start all over again...meh. If for some odd reason the link fails, (and that has happened to me more than just a few times) then that will also cause the need for you to re-register...sometimes having to use yet another "new" email addy and/or username,b/c your first failed attempt@ registering was saved in their database, and you will get a popup message with the notice that the email addy and/or username has already been taken...lol.

I think that I found a software program that permits bypassing captchas a few weeks ago, but I was downloading other stuff at that time as well, and now damn if I can remember which download included it, b/c the finished (sometimes they are even zipped or compressed) downloads that I save, often aren't very descriptive, (like just "setup.msi" or gibberish.exe or zip)and occasionally I have even forgotten why the fuck I downloaded some of them to begin with, especially IF I don't (unzip) install them soon if not right away. I have found lots of useful free stuff to install on my several Windows OSes, over the past several months but I am going to have to create individual folders and add descriptions to them,b/c I often will take a week or more before getting around to installing some of them.

Just FYI, if those captchas bother you this much.....

Probably should avoid airports.

MI_Thumb said:
Just FYI, if those captchas bother you this much.....

Probably should avoid airports.

A few of us just somehow will inevitably miss out on having the opportunity to fly, or can afford to do things like travel in planes, trains, or ships for business or pleasure.

Surprising but true, I know.

Damn...I should really know waay too fucking better by now, than to vent by posting stupid shit like this here, it just draws flies...sigh.

_flyzapper__by_clairebearer_by_The_Emoticon_Club.gif

Never too old to learn...even the hard way though, b/c it won't happen again.

;)

cheeno said:
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/inglip

Haha..wow...a whole net subculture meme derived from reCaptcha images, guess that shouldn't really be surprised though, as it seems that anything that most everyone browsing the web becomes confronted with on a regular and frequent basis, is going to soon become a viral target for use (and abuse) in an entirely different way than it was originally intended.

I could swear that I have come across the re-Captcha image "inglip summoned" as well, at least once in the recent past.

They only really piss me off when I'm buying tickets. Of course that's where they're the most necessary, but seemingly the most ineffective as well.

Back