Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Thoughts on how to get a better job?

zoombabyzoom

I'm stuck managing a semi-fast food restaurant. I have 5+ years of management experience, a Bachelors in Business, proven track record of success in hospitality/guest services, managing people and situations, and food cost savings. I also, belong to a volunteer group called the Jaycees.

I've heard people recommend reading What Color is Your Parachute, but all my jobs have been found through contacts. Many, many, many resumes have gone out and they've all led to squat.

As other people have said, a lot of jobs nowadays are all about who you know. Which is unfortunate. Recently, a management position opened up where I work. Associates in Criminal justice, minor in Business Management. Two years experience with a MUCH larger staff, higher demand, and open to much more scrutiny if the job was performed sub-par.

They gave it to a person who was hired in roughly three months ago. They were hired to the company in the first place since they were friend's with one of the managers. Now, with no college or experience managing, is now a manager.

I bet a lot of companies can't figure out why they're going bankrupt.

I know its the main reason I got into the Jaycees, to help network.

I agree, it doesn't always matter how much you know but instead how well you bullshit with the boss, at least that seems to be how you get acknowledged at my work place.

[color=#551A8B said:
Rich what? Richmond![/color]]I know its the main reason I got into the Jaycees, to help network.

Do you hail from Minnesota?

what is your dream, next job? Not the CEO, pro athlete dream, but what is your realistic next job that will fulfill you or pay the bills? What industry ? what occupation? How transferable are your skills to this next career? Where do you live? Urban, exurban or rural?

I am a labor economist by trade and I know these are hard to answer. My biggest issue is now is looking at skills gaps and market entry/career changing. Examining the hidden job market and trying to predict the structural changes in the job market. It is an exciting chaotic time to do what I'm doing right now. I wish the numbers were better. The job market is both a structural and cyclical mess right now.

The adage of its "who you know" is correct but its been cynically co-opted as some jaded sign of the times. But it isnt. I could elaborate but it'll bore you. In sum, its always been thisway

I don't know you but you obviously have skill, education and experience. Personally, I would not waste my time responding to Monster, etc. Cold calling will serve you better. I think you have a huge network right now. You vendors likely would be a good base. The Jaycees? MY god, that is prime middle/upper mgmt turf--the hiring kind. You'll have to take some chances by putting it out there that you're looking. This is how it works.

[color=#551A8B said:
Rich what? Richmond![/color]]I know its the main reason I got into the Jaycees, to help network.

I did the same with our local metro area Chambers of Commerce Rotary/Lions/Kiwanis club 25 years ago, but it was to develop and cultivate small business contacts to market and sell group insurance, disability and pension plans. Living hand to mouth while drawing no salary made it too difficult to stick with it, other wise I might have made it until folding @ small business began to seize nearly a full death grip on small business in MI ~ the turn of the 21st century.

Maybe check out one or more of your local Chamber of Commerce, (many probably have an online presence) and they are not like the somewhat meddlesome national HQ.

What do you want to do? Its so much easier if you have an idea? Instead of anything better? You interested in computers or anything technical? Those jobs are always available.

Back