Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Joey played good again

biggunsbob

Another tough luck loss with no offense and another poor start..

Hung out to dry on a breakaway on the first goal and screened on the second. Doubtful Howard makes those stops, either. I think he starts next game as well.

I think you are right C.. I hope they don't lay a egg tonight at home verses the Oilers.. i would like to see them pound them early... Stuart was out last game so i hope KH goes out and gets some defensive help for the playoffs.. Like you said too many backend mistakes recently... This team can win it all with just a few tweaks... I would sure like to see Zettterberg get a couple tonight. I will be channel flipping tonight....LOL.. UM and the wings and even the Pistons will all be on the same times tonight give or take.

IMO Joey Mac is a better back up than Conklin. I think the team may hate him because he is always left out to dry by the defense. I also don't think back up goalie is as big of a need as most people think, it is a glaring weakness right now due to Howard's finger but Howard seems to like playing a majority of games. I think Joey mac is good enough to handle the back up job for the little use the wings get out of the position. When the playoffs come around the only way the back up is playing is if Howard is hurt or we are winning by a ton or losing a ton. (i realize Osgood was the backup in 2008 but we dont have a 2000 year old Hasek as the primary starter) If Howard is hurt i don't really like our chances anyways. I would rather see Joey Mac hold the position and get a gritty forward to help the playoff run.

I dont think you are the only one there is a reason he is getting the starts right now instead of Conklin. I was excited about brining Conklin to the team in the off season unfortunately I think age has gotten to him and the wings got him one year too late.

mabre321 said:
I dont think you are the only one there is a reason he is getting the starts right now instead of Conklin. I was excited about brining Conklin to the team in the off season unfortunately I think age has gotten to him and the wings got him one year too late.

Yup you are right... Go with Joey for now when Howard comes back..

I have no idea what happened to Conklin..he dropped off so hard out of the blue. The most confusing part is its not even due to his age, he is just constantly out of position, over pursuing passes and mishandling pucks..it's like he is a rookie- I've never seen anything like it.

Joey is a suitable backup as long as he doesn't have to be relied on to win games - he won't make any incredible saves but he is solid and you know what you will get with him every night. That being said I really hope Howard can return soon as McDonald is due to have a bad game sooner rather than later.

tbone413 said:
I have no idea what happened to Conklin..he dropped off so hard out of the blue. The most confusing part is its not even due to his age, he is just constantly out of position, over pursuing passes and mishandling picks..it's like he is a rookie- I've never seen anything like it.

Joey is a suitable backup as long as he doesn't have to be relied on to win games - he won't make any incredible saves but he is solid and you know what you will get with him every night. That being said I really hope Howard can return soon as McDonald is due to have a bad game sooner rather than later.

Yup Ty appears done.. You are so right about his positioning.. it's terrible.

tbone413 said:

I agree he wont win any games but he is capable of keeping the team in games and the players in front of him are good enough to go out and win those games. That's really all you can ask for in a back up goalie. The wings were blessed to have Osgood for so long who was willing to take the back up role without making a huge fuss about losing his starting job. Most good goalies do not want to be someones backup so you kinda have to take what you can get in a back up.

That being said i also hope Howard can come back soon because he is a goalie the is capable of winning games that the rest of the team plays like crap and you need that type of goalie to win the cup.

Back