Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Anyone think Administration will lose votes

KAWDUP

. . . due to the decision to force relgious based hospitals to provide insurance for contraception?

Have I stated the issue correctly?

Can't imagine it has anything really to do with the stand on contraception per se, but more the principle of the thing.

Do you think it will harm Obama's re-election campaign? . . . or is it only a bunch of Republicans complaining again?

KAWDUP said:
. . . due to the decision to force relgious based hospitals to provide insurance for contraception?

Have I stated the issue correctly?

Can't imagine it has anything really to do with the stand on contraception per se, but more the principle of the thing.

Do you think it will harm Obama's re-election campaign? . . . or is it only a bunch of Republicans complaining again?

The blowback from this idea has hit the WH full in the face and it is already backpedaling, because it has outraged everyone from Catholics to atheists and everyone in between. I am reasonably certain that they are making this adjustment now in advance of the election to take advantage of the average American's short attention span.

Catholics and Hispanics voted heavily for Obama in 2008 and he cannot risk alienating them. Obviously, he misjudged them terribly on this issue.

Yeah. You've got it exactly right. This could be a big deal. I think Catholics make up a lot of the swing votes in this country. If the issue gets viewed as "everyone gets contraceptives is the new policy", Catholics won't react that much. If it gets viewed as "the government wants to tell Catholics what they can and cannot do regardless of their beliefs" then it will lose them votes. Tons of Catholics use contraceptives even while the Church preaches against it. So it's a question of religious freedom vs. policy issues and the votes that could actually swing would be impacted by the former, but not the latter.

Also, political issues almost never make it to the pulpit. In some places, this one is I think. Maybe not during mass, but in the bulletins and after mass announcements. I don't know when the last time that happened was.

Red and Guilty said:
Yeah. You've got it exactly right. This could be a big deal. I think Catholics make up a lot of the swing votes in this country. If the issue gets viewed as "everyone gets contraceptives is the new policy", Catholics won't react that much. If it gets viewed as "the government wants to tell Catholics what they can and cannot do regardless of their beliefs" then it will lose them votes. Tons of Catholics use contraceptives even while the Church preaches against it. So it's a question of religious freedom vs. policy issues and the votes that could actually swing would be impacted by the former, but not the latter.

Do I have my former's and latter's mixed up? You are saying that the one that could swing votes is the telling Catholics what they can and cannot do, right?

This is a non story, most states already have laws on the books that do just this for Catholic Hospitals.

9 months out...I doubt it

it'll be out of the news cycle in a week.

KAWDUP said:
Red and Guilty said:

Do I have my former's and latter's mixed up? You are saying that the one that could swing votes is the telling Catholics what they can and cannot do, right?

Yeah.

Wait....since when do hospitals provide insurance period?

I don't think it will have a big impact.

"Millions of American Catholics have found themselves squarely in the middle of the controversy. Catholic teaching firmly opposes abortion and the use of contraceptives -- a point repeatedly stressed by numerous church leaders over the past several days. Polls, however, show a slight majority of U.S. Catholics actually favor the requirement."

Read more: http://www.wyff4.com/health/30417882/detail.html#ixzz1lvTP21Bj

most catholics I know use birth control, and follow their church's teaches only to the extent they don't interfere with the real important stuff: making enough money to buy a nice enough house, cars, clothes, etc. etc. to fit in with their contemporaries.

the ones that are democrats probably don't care.

the ones who are republicans would hate obama regardless.

there may be a smattering of people (mostly retards) who were on the fence, and then listened to some shrill right wing talk radio asshole ranting about this, and without hearing the entire story, decided that this really is leading christians to the "guillotine" (as Rick Santorum put it). they might switch their votes because of this.

who cares though?

Well before you say he's more intelligent than anyone who posts here, can I ask for your data supporting this claim?

I was not aware we all took I.Q. tests when we registered to post here.

MI_Thumb said:
Well before you say he's more intelligent than anyone who posts here, can I ask for your data supporting this claim?

I was not aware we all took I.Q. tests when we registered to post here.

let me put it this way: if David Boies was a RichRod fan... I would have lost every argument.

President Barack Obama's decision to require most employers to cover birth control and insurers to offer it at no cost has created a firestorm of controversy.[b:eek:hnx4ugc] But the central mandate

This issue won't even make it into next month or even next week. All it will take is some soundbite or provocative video or quip from some candidate or otherwise to bump the issue. Some mention will be made in a Koch Bros SuperPAC Ad run in the fall on behalf of whomever (Romney), and it will simply become a bullet point along the same lines as ...

Obama is really a Muslim..
Obama isn't an American ..
Obama has caused gas prices to spike ..

"Obama thinks everyone should be having pre-marital and gay butt-sex with employer-provided condoms and also hates puppy dogs"

/Gloom and Doom Voiceover Voice

MichChamp02 said:
the best explanation of this issue from someone who is more intelligent than anyone who posts here:
http://video.msnbc.msn.com/the-last-word/46320611#46320611

It's a good explanation of the issue, but it only frames it properly. It explains the principles, but it does not make it clear where the law comes down on this issue. It's fine to argue extremes up to a point, but to say a religion is subject to law when it comes to animal sacrifice doesn't mean any law can be passed no matter how it impacts specific religions.

TheVictors03 said:
This issue won't even make it into next month or even next week. All it will take is some soundbite or provocative video or quip from some candidate or otherwise to bump the issue. Some mention will be made in a Koch Bros SuperPAC Ad run in the fall on behalf of whomever (Romney), and it will simply become a bullet point along the same lines as ...

Obama is really a Muslim..
Obama isn't an American ..
Obama has caused gas prices to spike ..

"Obama thinks everyone should be having pre-marital and gay butt-sex with employer-provided condoms and also hates puppy dogs"

/Gloom and Doom Voiceover Voice

The issue doesn't have to make it to next month. People's attitudes towards candidate evolve with time, they don't flip with every issue of the week.

Also, if it's not clear, I hope this issue gets some libertarian traction under it...mostly because I think the practice of having employers pay for our health insurance is one of the fundamental flaws of our system. The consumers aren't at all a part of the decision making process. There is no capitalism at work.

Sort of like hoping for a terrible championship game 'cause you hate the BCS.

Back