Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

GOP getting rid of lunch breaks

johnny2x2x

http://www.concordmonitor.com/article/310149/lunch-breaks-on-the-chopping-block?CSAuthResp=1328816484%3Ak8blbqc2ambf88ccm9u4aab713%3ACSUserId|CSGroupId%3Aapproved%3A8FB7AE9262D500F67B814D5DE75D8A52&CSUserId=94&CSGroupId=1

Republicans in New Hampshire don't think there should be laws requiring employers to give workers a lunch break after 5 hours of working. They say that the law is silly and employers will give their workers breaks anyway. Sure, right. Of course this is a test case for the GOP and if successful this will go through ALEC (American Legislative Exchange Council) for them so they can spread it to as many states as they can. This could be coming to your state.

What do you think?

I haven't taken an hour-long lunch break for a long time, but how can the GOP be so stoopid (sic) as to touch this tinderbox?

It took a "who cares" issue and turned it into something that could potentially blow up in its face.

It's a Mr. Bumble moment from Oliver Twist. "YOU WANT ... MORE?!?!?"

smayschmouthfootball said:
I haven't taken an hour-long lunch break for a long time, but how can the GOP be so stoopid (sic) as to touch this tinderbox?

It took a "who cares" issue and turned it into something that could potentially blow up in its face.

It's a Mr. Bumble moment from Oliver Twist. "YOU WANT ... MORE?!?!?"

I don't think they are talking about hour long breaks, they are talking about the 1/2 hour break that most states mandate after 5 hours of labor.

Might not happen in NH, but they'll get it through in one state or another. With Union membership being at historic lows who's going to fight it?

Lunch hours were the greatest. If the job gave me an hour I'd take an hour and a half. If they gave me 30 minutes, I'd take an hour and a half.

Reminds me of Repubs trying to weaken the FLSA of 1938 by introducing a bill that would greatly reduce if not in many cases, completely eliminate employer-paid OT back in '05 or thereabouts and again in '09 while couching it in the deceptive name of the so-called " Family Friendly Workplace Act"

More like "Employers Off The Hook For Paying Time and One-Half Act".

::)

i don't understand the issue of the lunch break?? The 30 minutes are off the clock...why the fuck should employers care about that? I don't want my employees being hungry half way through their shift and/or being burnt out.

It's funny that they don't support half hour lunch breaks, but they take long vacations when important deadlines are approaching. And that's for the dems too.

Back