Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Roy Hibbert In, Monroe Out?

zoombabyzoom

Don't understand why Monroe got snubbed for the All-Star game.

scaled.php

I get that Hibbert is on a good team... but comon. Only stat Hibbert is better in is Blocks.

Monroe was snubbed because the Pistons are terrible, and it's that simple. Coaches highly overvalue team standings in choosing players. Luol Deng is the exact same, but on the opposite end. Coaches decided Chicago's record deserved two All-Stars, and Deng was the next best choice after Rose.

Monroe had a good, but not overwhelming, case to be an All-Star. If the team ever starts winning games, he will be. Deng shouldn't have made the team, but the other guys ahead of him didn't have wowing cases themselves.

Another reason why the "NEW" NBA sucks. Not sure why you guys watch that garbage.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Another reason why the "NEW" NBA sucks. Not sure why you guys watch that garbage.

I haven't watched a single game this year and the only reason I know the NBA exists lately is because of Jeremy Lin. Seems like Tim Tebow part II, only this time with a league I don't care about.

That's not new NBA, that's every All-Star game in every American sport. Players from bad teams get shafted in favor of players from winning teams and big markets.

Stafford was snubbed for playing in Detroit. Phillip Rivers and his 27 turnovers made the team. I don't think the "holier than thou" attitude from NFL fans makes much sense here.

Philip Rivers is actually good though, and has past years to speak for him. Hibbert sucks, he isnt even Dampier good.

monroe is easily a better player than hibbert

Philip Rivers had a bad year where he racked up yards but actually played his team OUT of a lot of games. What he has done in the past shouldn't matter to current voting. But it does, because all All-Star voting is wrong as the rest. That's the point. Monroe was snubbed for stupid reasons, Hibbert made it for worse reasons. Rivers didn't deserve it, but had enough rep to get there.

It's all a popularity contest in every sport. I just found it odd that NFL fans are trash talking the NBA for doing things the same way as everyone else. The NBA is still popular, get over it.

everyoneneedsasmil said:
That's not new NBA, that's every All-Star game in every American sport. Players from bad teams get shafted in favor of players from winning teams and big markets.

Stafford was snubbed for playing in Detroit. Phillip Rivers and his 27 turnovers made the team. I don't think the "holier than thou" attitude from NFL fans makes much sense here.

He wasn't snubbed for being in Detroit. Eli was ahead of him, he had a good year. The rook was ahead of him because he was a dynamic rookie who did much more than anyone thought. FOTM. Can't remember if the Dallas guy was in front of him and if he was it wasn't because Staff is playing for Detroit.

And my "NEW" NBA sucks remarks wasn't about the AS game. Just added to it. Need to be crap to get top pick to improve. Stars talking to each other and telling each other "lets go there". Teams trading good players and draft picks for an old vet just to save some money. Its a horrible sport in this century.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
everyoneneedsasmil said:

He wasn't snubbed for being in Detroit. Eli was ahead of him, he had a good year. The rook was ahead of him because he was a dynamic rookie who did much more than anyone thought. FOTM. Can't remember if the Dallas guy was in front of him and if he was it wasn't because Staff is playing for Detroit.

And my "NEW" NBA sucks remarks wasn't about the AS game. Just added to it. Need to be crap to get top pick to improve. Stars talking to each other and telling each other "lets go there". Teams trading good players and draft picks for an old vet just to save some money. Its a horrible sport in this century.

Agreed for the most part. However a team like OKC is getting it done and I don't think that it is a "destination". Getting lucky/good decisions still play a part in the "NEW NBA" and Joe D hasn't made too many in the recent past.

Nothing that is happening in the "NEW" NBA is actually new. Players colluded before, stars forced their way off teams, and trading good players for better cap position (or financial position in general) should be nothing new to a baseball fan. If you don't like the NBA, fine, I get that. I don't really like to watch baseball myself (outside of JV pitching).

But if you're going to say you don't like the NBA, just say that. Almost nothing has changed since the lockout, or since MJ retired, or since the bad boys. There was no golden age of basketball that you seem to be harkening back to. The only thing that has appreciably changed is the coverage, and that's not the fault of players or the league. Now we see tweets that otherwise would have just been a gripe no one else heard. That doesn't make the game any worse (and honestly we are in the middle of one of the greatest talent booms ever in the NBA), it just allows you to hate someone for their personality. Newflash, MJ was an A-hole in person. Magic could barely speak english his first few years in the league. Pre-80s the league was still widely racist. Just because there wasn't 24-hour news about it doesn't mean it wasn't there.

everyoneneedsasmil said:
Nothing that is happening in the "NEW" NBA is actually new. Players colluded before, stars forced their way off teams, and trading good players for better cap position (or financial position in general) should be nothing new to a baseball fan. If you don't like the NBA, fine, I get that. I don't really like to watch baseball myself (outside of JV pitching).

But if you're going to say you don't like the NBA, just say that. Almost nothing has changed since the lockout, or since MJ retired, or since the bad boys. There was no golden age of basketball that you seem to be harkening back to. The only thing that has appreciably changed is the coverage, and that's not the fault of players or the league. Now we see tweets that otherwise would have just been a gripe no one else heard. That doesn't make the game any worse (and honestly we are in the middle of one of the greatest talent booms ever in the NBA), it just allows you to hate someone for their personality. Newflash, MJ was an A-hole in person. Magic could barely speak english his first few years in the league. Pre-80s the league was still widely racist. Just because there wasn't 24-hour news about it doesn't mean it wasn't there.

All of the guys you mentioned agree the Miami CHeat would't have happened in their day.

everyoneneedsasmil said:

Baseball, you get value in a trade. Might not always get equal but the NBA you trade for a PoS, as long as he's gone after the season and you get cap for a future FA that might not happened, its alright. And being an asshole has nothing to do about it. You're not getting MJ, Magic and Bird to collude like that. No way.

Back