Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Corwin Brown story

b311j

Former NFL defensive back Corwin Brown was taken from his home Friday night with a self-inflicted gunshot wound after a nearly seven-hour standoff in Granger, Ind., according to the Detroit Free Press.

Tim Corbett, St. Joseph County Metro Homicide commander, told the paper he did not know if Brown's injuries were life-threatening.

Police, responding to a reported domestic dispute, arrived at the home about 1 p.m. and said they heard gunshots inside the home shortly afterward. Brown's wife and children subsequently left the home and police said they started trying to talk him out using cellphones and a bullhorn.

Brown, 41, asked to talk to several friends during the standoff in a subdivision about 10 miles northwest of Notre Dame, police said. Shortly before the standoff ended, the paper said, someone could be heard saying through the bullhorn, "Be a Michigan man today. Step up to your obligation."

Only moments passed before a fire truck and ambulance rushed to the front of the house, with the ambulance leaving moments later, the paper said.

Police said Brown

whoa, this is messed up. He was one of my favorite players.

sad story

one article reported the wound was not life threatening... it's unusual to shoot yourself in a non-life threatening manner. weird.

Sounds to me more like a cray for help. I just pray that him as well as his family can get the help they need.

bigvic said:
Suck on this???

What kind of response is that?

I I read correctly he brought a gun into the house where his wife and daughter were, no doubt scaring them before shooting himself. What should I say, "get better buddy?"

I don't know, my first thought after hearing about the story was how incredibly bizarre his behavior was. Then I recalled other tragic stories where former football players suffering from 'concussion syndrome' displayed similarly bizarre behavior.

Maybe Brown -- like a Dave Duerson, Barret Robbins, Andre Waters, Chris Henry, Shane Dronett or so many others -- was mentally ill from all those years of head-on collisions..?!

You know, maybe there's a reason he did what he did.....

Or he coukd have serious depression which is no laughing matter

Lets just hope he and his family get help thet need respectively

michlady77 said:
Or he coukd have serious depression which is no laughing matter

Lets just hope he and his family get help thet need respectively

Then go out and find a bridge and jump. Until I hear otherwise he's a bum.

Yeah, totally -- until I get more details than just one brief article, he can totally just Suck it! And I mean really suck it!

Vic, you're not familiar with the history of the phrase "suck on this"???

NYTimes columnist and total hack Tom Friedman first used those words as he gloated over killing Iraqi people in 2003. You can google it.

Since then, "suck on this" has emerged as THE premier phrase of internet tough guys when they advocate violence, capital punishment, torture, etc. of others from the comfort and safety of their desktops.

It coveys such a sense of moral outrage and makes such a profound statement too.

Like when you hear about some horrible dictator in Somalia and mass graves or something and you're just like, "Man, that evil warlord can totally just Suck on This!!"

What a tool, the guy probably has no life, no contribution to society, and is probably extremely depressed on where he's at right now with himself..... Corwin Brown is probably a little depressed too.

so more details have emerged. sounds like he had a nervous breakdown, then tried to kill himself. self-inflicted gun-shot wound to the torso. also he's been charged with three felonies from the incident: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/col....,49 79875.story<blockquote>Police reportedly brought a former mentor of Brown's to the scene, who reportedly told the former player, "Be a Michigan man today. Step up to your obligations."</blockquote> I wonder who that was?

here's a statement from his family: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/wsbt-corwin-browns-family-issues-statement-following-police-standoff-20110816,0,2693467.story

From the statement: <blockquote>We believe Corwin is suffering from symptoms similar to those experienced by the late Dave Duerson and were caused by the many notable collisions during Corwin

Back