Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

NUMBER 21!!!!!!!!!!!

biggunsbob

Wow... Never really in doubt. Would have been nice to get the shutout but 3-1 is ok by me.... Joey did not have much work but had some key saves and Zetterberg is really heating up.. Hudler is just having a fantastic year...

They got a bit lucky because of shootouts that weren't part of the NHL in years ago. Or else Wings would have have had some ties. Nonetheless, sweet.

Good day to be a Wings fan. Hopefully they will bring the cup back home this spring.

Hopefully the Red Wings can nudge their new record up by @ least several more games, and silence those who would diminish their achievement b/c of their shoot-out wins within their home winning streak.

Turok said:
Hopefully the Red Wings can nudge their new record up by @ least several more games, and silence those who would diminish their achievement b/c of their shoot-out wins within their home winning streak.

Are people doing that?

this team has what it takes to win a Cup this season.

how sweet would that be for them to win the Cup and Lidstrom can retire on top. even though i would like to see Lidstrom come back, i still think he is playing at a high enough level to play 1 more year after this season.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]They got a bit lucky because of shootouts that weren't part of the NHL in years ago. Or else Wings would have have had some ties. Nonetheless, sweet.

You could make the case that had shootouts been part of the game back when the other streaks were set maybe they would have lost a game that way.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
Turok said:

Are people doing that?

Yes they are which is a joke...

tbone413 said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]They got a bit lucky because of shootouts that weren't part of the NHL in years ago. Or else Wings would have have had some ties. Nonetheless, sweet.

You could make the case that had shootouts been part of the game back when the other streaks were set maybe they would have lost a game that way.

How, they had ties. So 21 wins were 21 wins.

I can see both sides.

Shootouts guarantee there will be a win in the game so it does make it easier to have a long winning streak. On the other hand there haven't really been any other teams that have come close to 21 strait home wins since the shootouts started so i really dont think the shootouts make it that much easier.

On the other hand all it takes is a bad bounce or a lucky save to lose in a shootout. Also the other teams on the longest winning streak list played in a different era of hockey. No salary cap meant teams like Boston, Detroit, Philly ect could field much better teams and lock up talent much easier. Making the competition through the rest of the league not nearly as stiff making it much easier to go on long winning streaks.

All the players can do is play the game the way it is set up for them to play. This is what makes comparing players and eras fun because there is no right or wrong answer to who is better. So regardless the wings winning 21 strait at home is impressive as hell and thank god we have, because the central division is still very close .

On a completely unrelated note, I have always thought the shootouts were a stupid way to decide a game. If you play a strong defensive style but don't score a lot, like the NJ devils back in the mid 90's then all of a sudden have a game decided without you being able to play your strongest style of play, i really don't think that's a good way to measure who won the game because it is so radically differnt than actual play in the NHL. (steps off soap box)

Back