Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Weaver Today

mhughes0021

3 earned runs so far thru 4 vs Toronto. ERA ballooning to 1.89. Go Jays!

I'm watching and he just gave up a grandslam to lind.
heh-heh.

edit, Boom there goes another one, teahan.
nice that it's weaver it's happening to after that game 7/31.

lol nice!

8 earned runs thru 4 2/3. ERA now 2.13. Verlander in the driver seat!

I've been following this on Gamecast. Wow!!! He got shelled!!!

3 HRs including a Grand Slam. One bad game can change the Cy Young race drastically. It's Verlanders to lose now, he has a big lead.

Massive damage to Weaver's Cy Young chances. Big jump in era and whip, only three strikeouts, should take a loss and now sits three wins behind JV.

Blue Jays must be doing some serious sign-stealing today!

fangedmole said:
Massive damage to Weaver's Cy Young chances. Big jump in era and whip, only three strikeouts, should take a loss and now sits three wins behind JV.

Blue Jays must be doing some serious sign-stealing today!

Id guess its going to be a 88 mph meatball down the pipe most the time. I dont get how we didnt hit that guy better to be honest. His ERA baffles me.

Weaver had been getting a little lucky most of the year with fly balls. He's a great pitcher though and can paint the black at will most of the time. This blows the only real advantage he had on Verlander statistically and that's ERA. Now he still has a slight lead, but is behind in every other stat.

With Sabathia getting touched up his last 2 games going 0-2, Verlander is really in the drivers seat. Justin's last 2 games he hasn't been lights out, if he was going to slip, those 2 games would have been when he did it. I think he's due for a dominant game his next start or 2.

johnny2x2x said:
Weaver had been getting a little lucky most of the year with fly balls. He's a great pitcher though and can paint the black at will most of the time. This blows the only real advantage he had on Verlander statistically and that's ERA. Now he still has a slight lead, but is behind in every other stat.

Wins and Whip are going to kill Weaver now. CC lost again last night too and got hit around pretty good. Verlander is the clear leader in most of the statistical categories now and ERA is alot closer than it was before today. AS long as he doesnt have a real bad couple of starts and/or Weaver/CC dont have a couple of ridiculously good starts then he should be good to go. Voters wont be able to forget that 2 month stretch Verlander had....it will leave a lasting impression for sure come vote time.

I thought that Weaver pretty much had badly damaged his bid for the Cy, when he threw that temper-tantrum after Maggs and Carlos had riled him up enough to throw a pitch over AA's head.

But having a bad game like today, certainly will hurt and worsen Hothead Weaver's CyY chances..heh!!

Turok said:
I thought that Weaver pretty much had badly damaged his bid for the Cy, when he threw that temper-tantrum after Maggs and Carlos had riled him up enough to throw a pitch over AA's head.

But having a bad game like today, certainly will hurt and worsen Hothead Weaver's CyY chances..heh!!

I thought the same, but mostly it was damaged because he got out pitched by Justin that day. He lost his cool because he knew he was being out dueled. I won't lie, Verlander is my favorite player, it's super exciting and satisfying to see him pushing towards a Cy Young. I have been scoreboard watching every time Weaver and Sabathia pitch. Heck, I'll be checking the score tonight when Beckett pitches. This is Justin's year!!!

I think if Weaver doesn't come out and dominate next start he's pretty much out. A lot of winning awards is about hype, and I think he'll take a huge hit after being outdueled by JV, losing his temper, and then in his next start getting rocked. He really needs to come out and dominate next time out and make everyone forget or he will be forgotten. IMO the race is now: 1. JV 2. CC 3. Weaver 4. Beckett 5. Valverde

Turok said:

Voters, and most everyone in baseball saw that foolish eruption like a kid.
One thing with today was he didn't pitch for 8 days, with that 6 game suspension. wasn't sharp with his pitches, and glad of it. It will be interesting in how he pitches next start.
From what I saw he didn't even look at the batters when they cranked them out. a lesson learned? last name weaver and jeff's little brother, maybe, maybe not.

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]
Turok said:

Voters, and most everyone in baseball saw that foolish eruption like a kid.
One thing with today was he didn't pitch for 8 days, with that 6 game suspension. wasn't sharp with his pitches, and glad of it. It will be interesting in how he pitches next start.
From what I saw he didn't even look at the batters when they cranked them out. a lesson learned? last name weaver and jeff's little brother, maybe, maybe not.

Yep, Jered likely has absolute zero margin for error now, if he actually has any margin left at all...barring him pitching a perfect game between now and the end of the season, and not allowing anymore than one or two earned runs in each of his remaining starts. One or two more games like today, and IF JV continues his mastery on the mound, then we can probably forget all about about Weaver entirely and perhaps just CC being the lone "dark horse" left as a challenger.

As I said in the other thread, Weaver only had a shot at Cy with an ERA under 2.

Unless JV gets rocked like Weaver and CC have recently, he will win the Cy in a landslide.

i actually did a little dance at work when i saw weaver's final line. the guy is a huge douche and deserves nothing but to be shelled.

GO VERLANDER GO!

Back