Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Pre-schooler has her lunch taken away.

KAWDUP

Is this what we have come to?

http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/news/national/students-lunch-taken-away-for-not-being-nutritious-enough

The kid had a mostly healthy lunch minus milk and a vegetable made at home. She got a turkey and cheese sandwhich, a banana, a bag of chips, and some apple juice.

An inspector allegedly upon inspecting the child's lunch took it away and gave her a school cafeteria lunch of chicken nuggets to eat (of course along with corn and milk).

Good thing this did not happen to my child, or I'd be going on trial for relieving this world of one misguided administrator.

When the grandmother was asked why there was no vegetable, she stated that the child, if given one would just throw it out wasting it. She stated that my grandchild gets vegetables with dinner where I can monitor her to make sure she eats it.

There isn't a chance that the USDA guidelines are supposed to be enforced in this manner, is there?

. . . or maybe that last part is just not true. As I said good thing it wasn't my child.

What irony. School cafeterias feed their kids honest-to-goodness poison that's provided by the contracts of the huge food suppliers with mega contracts that offer processed crap for them to ingest and this inspector actually believes that there is more nutrition in that food than what the kid brought from home.

Somebody would get their teeth knocked down their fn throat. For fun!!

her mother who was probably in the 7th grade at the same school should have stepped up and handled it....

Wow. story seems tailor made for the right-wing, anti-government crowd, no?

BIG GOVERNMENT IS RUN AMOK!!! TAKIN' OUR RIGHTS TO RAISE OUR KIDS!! SPREAD THE ALARM AND VOTE OUT NOBAMA AND ALL HIS CRONIES

I'm guessing the portrayal of the incident isn't 100% accurate...<blockquote>The Hoke County Assistant Superintendent Bob Barnes agreed that the lunch was healthy, but says it was missing milk, a key part of what is considered to be a healthy meal under state guidelines.

"We are not the lunch bag police. But if we observe that a child who has brought their lunch is missing one of the key components of the healthy meal, we simply say, if it's milk, here's some milk, you may have it or not," said Barnes.

Barnes believes there was likely a misunderstanding between the child and the staff.
</blockquote>Link: http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/childs-lunch-allegedly-taken-by-teacher-told-it-wasnt-healthy-enough

$5 says the little girl didn't want to eat the boring lunch her grandma made, and made up this story about being "forced" to eat chicken wings...

since it resonates well with the right-wing narrative, it's caught on like wildfire.

smayschmouthfootball said:
What irony. School cafeterias feed their kids honest-to-goodness poison that's provided by the contracts of the huge food suppliers with mega contracts that offer processed crap for them to ingest and this inspector actually believes that there is more nutrition in that food than what the kid brought from home.

well... yeah.

the dairy lobby is big and powerful, and can force your kids to drink milk.

that's how you want it, right?

the corporations provide jobs... government shouldn't be telling the corporations what to do. The private sector knows what's best.

MichChamp02 said:

BIG GOVERNMENT IS RUN AMOK!!! TAKIN' OUR RIGHTS TO RAISE OUR KIDS!! SPREAD THE ALARM AND VOTE OUT NOBAMA AND ALL HIS CRONIES

I'm guessing the portrayal of the incident isn't 100% accurate...<blockquote>The Hoke County Assistant Superintendent Bob Barnes agreed that the lunch was healthy, but says it was missing milk, a key part of what is considered to be a healthy meal under state guidelines.

"We are not the lunch bag police. But if we observe that a child who has brought their lunch is missing one of the key components of the healthy meal, we simply say, if it's milk, here's some milk, you may have it or not," said Barnes.

Barnes believes there was likely a misunderstanding between the child and the staff.
</blockquote>Link: http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/childs-lunch-allegedly-taken-by-teacher-told-it-wasnt-healthy-enough

$5 says the little girl didn't want to eat the boring lunch her grandma made, and made up this story...

since it resonates well with the right-wing narrative, it's caught on like wildfire.

You're missing the point. The school thinks the kid is undernourished and proceeds to feed her shit on a plate.

And cow's milk is not healthy for people to drink. Even baby cows stop drinking it when they are weaned.

MichChamp02 said:

well... yeah.

the dairy lobby is big and powerful, and can force your kids to drink milk.

that's how you want it, right?

the corporations provide jobs... government shouldn't be telling the corporations what to do. The private sector knows what's best.

You know absolutely nothing of my premises as they relate to government and business, and this post is proof of that.

MichChamp02 said:

$5 says the little girl didn't want to eat the boring lunch her grandma made, and made up this story about being "forced" to eat chicken wings...

Your dumb link has exactly the same story - almost verbatim, as the one that I provided. $5 bucks says you did not even read the story I linked.

It wasn't chicken wings, BTW, it was chicken nuggets. If it even came close to happening the way you suggest, why did the child say she only ate 3 of the nuggets and threw most of the rest of it away?

As usual you missed the point entirely.

While it may be government run amok, it really doesn't have very much to do with Obama at all. It was more of a question of why the hell are we inspecting lunches brought in from home?

I understand, though, those pre-schoolers are known for bringing in drugs, so it was fully justified.

Typical response from a left wing nut. Are you telling me you wouldn't be outraged if it happened to your child? It is obvious you don't have one, so other than your biased rhetoric and ignorant generalizations, you got anything else to offer?

I don't even have to read this to know its probably dead on accurate.

Cow's milk is not healthy for people to drink.

Gotcha.

/leavescrazytown

MichChamp02 said:

Do I win your $5 if I can find a link that says it wasn't chicken wings, it was chicken nuggets, and she only ate 2 or 3 of them?

MI_Thumb said:

Gotcha.

/leavescrazytown

I can't apologize for you if you've gulped down the notion that cow's milk is healthy for humans. It's not.

/leavesgullibleville

MI_Thumb said:

Gotcha.

/leavescrazytown

I can't apologize for you if you've gulped down the notion that cow's milk is healthy for humans. It's not.

/leavesgullibleville

what do you mean exactly?

obviously, for the lactose intolerant, it's no good.

for the avg person though, you can drink it and get calories, vitamins, and protein from it. so it's "nutritious."

My I don't care meter just went up a tick.. My question is why not just give the kid a milk and let her keep her bagged lunch... I must not have all the facts...Republicans will open a committee on it, and the democrats will cave into what ever righty says..

MI_Thumb said:

Gotcha.

/leavescrazytown

/leavesgullibleville

Oh, how I love conspiracy theories.

Do tell, aside from the small amount of fat in the Milk, why it's unhealthy for humans.

Also, baby cows (or any mammal for that matter) don't quit drinking milk by choice, once they develop teeth the mother weens them, so they can eat a diet more suited to adolescent/adult of the species, since Milk is not a complete diet after infancy, and I don't think anyone ever claimed otherwise.

If your "I don't care meter" just went up, why did you respond to the thread?

If it was your kid, what do you do Bob?

MI_Thumb said:

Gotcha.

/leavescrazytown

/leavesgullibleville

There are enough stories out there that I wouldn't call a person crazy for thinking milk is good or bad for you. Some estimates of how many adults have some degree of lactose intolerance are as high as 70%.

KAWDUP said:
If your"I don't care meter" just went up, why did you respond to the thread?

If it was your kid, what do you do Bob?

That's a pretty good question. I'd be pissed.

MichChamp02 said:

/leavesgullibleville

what do you mean exactly?

obviously, for the lactose intolerant, it's no good.

for the avg person though, you can drink it and get calories, vitamins, and protein from it. so it's "nutritious."

It's only a google away. I've not had cow's milk for 25 years. My kids never drank it, by choice.

Back