Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

There was a poll question on ESPN about verlander

bavarianinnman

That asked whats the chances of verlander hitting 300 wins.

Hes 28 years old with 100 wins.

Choices were:

Good chance

Small chance

no chance.

Michigan was the only state to vote majority of good chance to win 300 wins.

Im thinking theres basically no chance of him winning 300 games.

im thinking Verlander may have 10 years left, and pitch to age 38.

in those 10 years he would have to win 20 games each to make it to 300 wins.

im thinking Verlanders good, but i dont think thats realistic for any starting pitcher now adays.

what do you guys think?

You never know. Lets say he average 18 for the next ten. Then in his golden years win a few games here and there. But realisticslly I'm thinking 250. Too bad he wasn't up at 20 years of age.

i think his offspeed pitches could keep him active if/when he loses fastball velocity

I hate to talk about the possibility but what if a injury happens, derails him for a year or even few months would make it aLmost impossible.

Hard to imagine another 300 game winner. would need a pitcher at 20 come in and dominate the league, and be on a team with a offense.

But if anyone can get to 300, its Verlander. Because of his perpensity of going late in games.

It's a pretty safe bet that Sabathia will get to 300 wins.

I don't think there is a guarantee when you're 123 away at 31.

I'd say right now the two closest bets at achieving 300 at this point are CC and Halladay.. both needs around 120 to 110 to achieve the feat.. Both have a chance due to where they pitch.. You would have to think Philly and NY are good place to pick up wins since both teams are stacked.. It's very tough in this era if anyone gets 300 though, pitchers just aren't the horses they were even 10 years ago..

He basically needs to average 15 wins per year for the next 8 years, won't be too hard to do on the Yankees.

He'll probably get 3-4 more wins this year, and will likely average 17-18 over the next 4.

From there, he should be able to get it no problem.

Back