Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Source: Wings get Kyle Quincey

sggatecl

Detroit City FC
Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Pistons
Detroit Red Wings
Michigan Wolverines
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/7599166/source-detroit-red-wings-land-kyle-quincey-three-team-trade

The Detroit Red Wings have landed Colorado Avalanche defenseman Kyle Quincey in a three-team deal with the Tampa Bay Lightning, a source confirmed to ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun.

In exchange for Quincey, the Avs received Lightning right wing Steve Downie and Detroit sent minor-leaguer Sebastien Piche and its first-round pick in 2012 to Tampa Bay, the source said.

Quincey, who has 18 assists and 23 points through 52 games this year, is on pace for his second-best season since entering the NHL on a full-time basis in 2008 with Los Angeles.

Detroit originally drafted Quincey 132nd overall in 2003.

The 24-year-old Downie has 12 goals and 16 assists this season for Tampa Bay.

Tampa Bay and Colorado entered Tuesday in 11th place in their respective conferences, while Detroit has the best record in the league.

Pretty big upgrade for Kindl. Sucks to lose a first rounder, but you've got to give something to get something.

Im not to big on this trade honestly...Im not sure if Kenny did this as a favor to Yzerman or what his thinking was but that's a steep price to pay for Quincey..

1. The wings drafted him with a 4th round pick and then waived his ass a few years ago - I was pissed when they waived him then but why compound the mistake by throwing a 1st rounder to get him back?

2. Sure he is an upgrade over Kindl and Ericcson but he is also so making 3 million dollars this season..our 3rd D-line pairing is now making 6 million dollars..that's crazyyy. Not to mention the fact that next year Det will have to sign him to another contract if they want to keep him around.

3. This was a late first round pick but now the wings have essentially lost their best bargaining chip if they are going to try and make another trade at the deadline. I thought that the combination of the 1st round pick and lots of cap space would mean the Wings would make a play for a big name player at the trade deadline..now if they are going to try and still do that they are going to have to package one of their prospects which even worse than a first round pick since they have already been in the system a few years and dveloped.

I like Quincey don't get me wrong..but I was just hoping that if the wings had to deal their 1st pick that it would've been for a top 6 forward..

O well it's still an upgrade over the team we had yesterday.

I think it is a good move.. You have to part with decent pieces to get a return.. Basically we gave up nothing to get 18 assists and 23 points, and the goal is to win a cup now in 2012.. We were not going to get Nash and although I would like to get another sniper this seems like a decent move to me.. Hate giving up a number one but you just never know about guys panning out.. Heck our average draft postion is so far down anyway over the last 20 years might as well make that even worse...

Good thing we kept Meech when we waived Quincey
tongue.png

I Think the reason we made this deal is because there really isnt anything else out there. The market is weak as far as teams selling so sometimes you have to take what you can get. This is an upgrade to the third pairing and you can never have enough sold D men for the playoffs. (i completely reserve the rights to take back all of this and call holland a genius if a big deal happens later).

tbone413 said:
Im not to big on this trade honestly...Im not sure if Kenny did this as a favor to Yzerman or what his thinking was but that's a steep price to pay for Quincey..

I think Holland will do favors for Yzerman as far as pretending to show interest in players on the lightning to drive up the price for trades with other teams. As far as giving him more off the wings than he would normal just because it is Yzerman there is no way Holland would do that it just doesn't make any sense for him his job is it make the wings the best team not help Yzerman become successful.

It was a sellers market this year. Considerably more teams trying to buy than there is available talent. Quincey is useful in many ways. One, he's a solid defenseman with considerably more ability to play on one of the top 2 D-lines than Ericsson or Kindl (if injury hits). He was also drafted and developed right here, so he should fit into the system quickly (more important than people seem to realize for a push to the playoffs). Finally, he cost us nothing of considerable value in the short term.

We can barely fit players on the team who have been developing for years. Another first round pick is just one more prospect who won't be seeing the NHL for the next 4 years. Also, this tells me Holland/RW scouts weren't impressed with the latter half of first round prospects. The Wings don't do silly overpay moves, they don't look only 3 months down the road. If they are trading a first rounder, it is because the player they received in return is better than what they saw in the first round.

Back