Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

OT: Granderson

beez

According to ESPN, Curtis granderson is the worst everyday CF in baseball at -13 runs saved. Just interesting because a lot of bitter Detroit fans I know say he is as good as Austin Jackson in the outfield.

Just thought it was interesting. Personally I htink 33 hr's and a couple of diving catches makes up for that.

Yeah it sucks that Jackson doesnt take false steps and gets to every ball while staying on his feet. Only time he ever leaves his feet is when he's robbing a homerun. What a scrub.

The last few home runs he hit were fly ball outs anywhere else. He's a good hitter but not that good. And Ajax is a much better outfielder.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]The last few home runs he hit were fly ball outs anywhere else. He's a good hitter but not that good. And Ajax is a much better outfielder.

Hey we agree!!!!... I mean fuck you. lol
Seriously though you're right Jackson right now is 1 of the premier defenders in the outfield from a glove stand point. Granderson is a very much improved hitter. The way he approaches lefties doesnt even compare to his time in Detroit, and as good as his power numbers are, I think everyone knew going into the deal that at the very least his power numbers would increase significantly. I dont think anyone thought he'd be on pace for 40+ but either way, the park has a lot to do with it I would think. Would be interesting to see his hr's home/away as well as how many didnt go over the rf porch in the Bronx.

I think his home away numbers as far as home runs are concerned are pretty even. But all I know is that I've seen plenty in NY that would not be home runs in most places.

Here is the article that goes with the baseball tonight story about Grandersons -13 Fielding rating for center fielders. Jackson is a +10 this year.. Pretty weird since Curtis has had good years in the past and has only committed 3 errors this year.. His routes to the ball are really suspect this year. But man his 18 bombs at home and 14 bombs on the road sure would be nice.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/14868/grandersons-defense-hurts-his-mvp-case

Granderson was never a great route runner, he was just able to make up for it with speed.

Granderson has 19 homers at home and 14 on the road. 11 of his homers have come against lefties. He is basically hitting for the same average against righties and lefties. (.277 against righties compared to .270 against lefties).

I liked Curtis a lot, and was unhappy when he was traded.....but he is nowhere close to Ajax in the field.

And people forget Ajax can still improve on some things, such as sliding catches, and throws.

especially the throws, his arm has been bad enough so far this year to give him a slightly negative UZR on the year. oddly, his range is also down this year both in the UZR one and range factor. it doesnt really seem like it though, does it lol.

I remember the last year he was here, Grandy didn't get to balls that I thought he'd normally get to. No doubt he takes the wrong route but right now there is no contest AJax is the much better CF. Eventually I think Grandy becomes a COF.

Beez said:
According to ESPN, Curtis granderson is the worst everyday CF in baseball at -13 runs saved. Just interesting because a lot of bitter Detroit fans I know say he is as good as Austin Jackson in the outfield.

Just thought it was interesting. Personally I htink 33 hr's and a couple of diving catches makes up for that.

Last night, David Cone on the Yankee broadcast gutted this. He was raving about what a great CF Grandy was and used a bunch of stats to back himself up. The other guys in the booth compared it to a lawyer in court.

I was shocked to read that the other day because he has looked great in the 10 or 12 games I have watched him. When he was in Detroit, he was a great defender and I believe he still is. He probably just having a statistically bad year defensively. It happens. Watch come playoff time, his star is going to shine. I have always thought Jackson was the better defender for what it is worth but I did not think he was that much better according to this years stats. Maybe rebbiv can spread a little foo-foo dust on this.

I think defensive metrics are still a work in progress. They are supposed to replace the eye test, but so much of the data is based on what a person sees when collecting data. And everyone sees things a bit differently.

I don't think there's any doubt that A-Jax is superior to Grandy in the field, but I don't see Curtis as being the worst in the game. That would be pretty surprising.

JimRice said:
I think defensive metrics are still a work in progress. They are supposed to replace the eye test, but so much of the data is based on what a person sees when collecting data. And everyone sees things a bit differently.

I don't think there's any doubt that A-Jax is superior to Grandy in the field, but I don't see Curtis as being the worst in the game. That would be pretty surprising.

I agree. Defensive metrics might be impossible in the end.

Grandy has gone from a defensive attribute, into, who cares how he fields anymore, just keep hitting the ball. his numbers this year are off the chain for him. (RBIs,HRs,Runs scored etc...)

Back