Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Does the Prez Have a Future as an R & B Crooner?

He has a pretty good tenor voice. Red, what did you sing in the Glee Club?

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]He has a pretty good tenor voice. Red, what did you sing in the Glee Club?

Baritone...where the talent is.

Yeah that's nice.

It has stunk for me being stuck being a tenor because...well, there are just so many of us, and nobody pays attention to the tenors, why would they?

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]Yeah that's nice.

It has stunk for me being stuck being a tenor because...well, there are just so many of us, and nobody pays attention to the tenors, why would they?

Yeah. Too bad...getting all the best parts of every song...

Red and Guilty said:
[quote="TinselWolverine":9vjlyv6q]Yeah that's nice.

Yeah. Too bad...getting all the best parts of every song...[/quote:9vjlyv6q]

The tenors getting all the best parts?

I guess it happens from time to time....

I'm just bustin' your chops.

There is no four, eight or more than eight part harmony that doesn't include the baritones and basses.

Not that, as a math genius, you weren't already aware of that.

I wish you could have come to the reunion, Man, you would have heard some great stories about the Club from before you came in.

The very best story I remember was one Patrick Gardner (I think he immedietely preceded Blackstone) told was of something that happened in his first year.

Gardner was taxing and ambitious, and he loved works with more than four note chords - 7, 8, 9 note chord splits.

It was a big change from Leonard Johnson, who really was more of a performance tenor than he was a choir director.

Anyway, because change in an organization frequently can breed some contempt, Gardner was somewhat unpopular with, let's call it the status quo (didn't include me because I had only been in the club a half year before Gardner came on).

So anyway, at the reunion, Gardner recalled this disquitude, and related it to a story about when we all did about a 9 or 10 note dissonant chord - we had been working, and working, and working, and working - and we finally hit it....

and Gardner stopped, and said "there are conductors in this country who would kill to have this sound."

And one of the guys responded "what are there names?"

It was a 'brought the house' moment when Gardner told the story about that.

I would like to be able to claim that it was me who came up with that line, but alas it wasn't.

I do remember it, though, and it was a guy who was a Friar, and as it were, I ended up dating a distant cousin of his, before my undergraduate days at Michigan were over.

Gardner also recalled conducting the club singing the national anthem at Tiger Stadium during (it turned out to be the last game of) the World Series in '84, you had once posted me a link to the video of that; I had graduated the spring before.

His dad had died fairly recently before that; I guess his dad may not have been that pleased with his choice to become a music academic, or whatever, and Gardner indicated that he wished his dad could have seen that, to show his dad that he had made it.

So there's a couple stories for ya Red, my brother in TC & ME.

Go Blue.

You didn't get to go to the World Series, but either your shoes or your jacket did, right?

The jacket.

Thanks for remembering.

I was performing in a song and dance mixed voice octet that day at Wiard's Orchard...the older brother, and the older brother's wife, of the club president at that time was in the octet with me (the older brother was another Club Alum)...and we watched the Club World Series performance on a little black and white television between our shows.

Back