Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers vs. orioles Game Thread August 14

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
Tigers lineup :
Jackson CF
Dirks LF
Ordonez RF
Cabrera 1B
Martinez DH
Peralta SS
Raburn 3B ***
Avila C
Santiago 2B
Fister P

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/preview?gameId=310814101&teams=detroit-tigers-vs-baltimore-orioles
Tigers vs. orioles Game Preview.
from espn

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/batvspitch/_/id/30370/doug-fister
Fister vs. orioles.
from espn

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/batvspitch/_/id/28820/jo-jo-reyes
Tigers hitters vs. reyes.
from espn

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2011_08_14_detmlb_balmlb_1&mode=gameday&c_id=det
Gameday from mlb.com

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=310814101&teams=detroit-tigers-vs-baltimore-orioles
Boxscore from espn

Raburn again...and not the hot hitting WB.... Jimmy makes no sense...

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]Raburn again...and not the hot hitting WB.... Jimmy makes no sense...

Well, one could argue that Raburn fits the category "hot hitting" in the past month.

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]Raburn again...and not the hot hitting WB.... Jimmy makes no sense...

Totally agree with why on Raburn and not Betemit. What is the obsession with Raburn? He can't play any position well defensively. Ground ball pitcher with Raburn in the infield, can't get any better than that can it, rolling eyes.

Tigers manager Jim Leyland was asked Sunday whether the Tigers are capable of winning the division if they do not get more production out of Ordonez, who bats third.

"Magglio's throwing in his hits. I think there's certain type pitchers I'll rest him against, and certain type of pitchers I'll play him against.

::looks up @ calendar on kitchen wall::

Yep...Jimmy's atypical Sunday afternoon lineups...

::)

Tigers are a bit dinged up,

Earliest is Tuesday for Boesch to return from the sprained thumb,

Carlos on the DL 12th time in his career and 5th time in last three years,

Al Al on the 7 day DL for the concussion, and will probably be out longer than the week,

Martinez with the sprained knee is unable to catch and give Avila a break in consecutive games catching.

[quote="KalineCountry":a4nysb5s]Tigers manager Jim Leyland was asked Sunday whether the Tigers are capable of winning the division if they do not get more production out of Ordonez, who bats third.

"Magglio's throwing in his hits. I think there's certain type pitchers I'll rest him against, and certain type of pitchers I'll play him against.

im wondering why the hell we havent called up an emergency catcher to give avila a friggin day off. i know his bat is hot and i know he's young, but look what is happening to mauer after he played so much behind the plate. he needs a rest soon.

as far as raburn over betemit at third today, its because raburn has a .747 OPS against lefties while betemit has a .599 OPS against them despite being a switch hitter. to put that in perspective, thats only 7 points ahead of raburn's abysmal .592 against righties this year. his career OPS against lefties is also only .684 as well, and he's only once been above .697 against them in a season. leyland is playing splits again, but at least this time it makes a bit of sense because raburn is also hot and has a career .837 OPS against lefties. its not like either of them play good defense over there anyways.

Spockmaster said:
im wondering why the hell we havent called up an emergency catcher to give avila a friggin day off. i know his bat is hot and i know he's young, but look what is happening to mauer after he played so much behind the plate. he needs a rest soon.

as far as raburn over betemit at third today, its because raburn has a .747 OPS against lefties while betemit has a .599 OPS against them despite being a switch hitter. to put that in perspective, thats only 7 points ahead of raburn's abysmal .592 against righties this year. his career OPS against lefties is also only .684 as well, and he's only once been above .697 against them in a season. leyland is playing splits again, but at least this time it makes a bit of sense because raburn is also hot and has a career .837 OPS against lefties. its not like either of them play good defense over there anyways.

Good point on Raburn's and Betemit's splits Spockmaster.
I guess we just 'cringe' with raburn's defense.

As for Avila, he has played before today exactly 100 games and caught 94 of them. Six games as a DH, 3B, PH. 19 DNP. With 43 games left and post season looming if they finish first.

Carlos Guillen played 284 of a possible 605 games during his current four-year, $48 M contract w/ #Tigers. Missed 1st 93 games this season.
Since the bat flip homerun against weaver 3 for 32.

I know it's not optimal, but with the series already won, why not give Avila a break behind the plate and let Kelly catch.

We are going to be up shit creek without a paddle if Avila develops muscle spasms or something for being overworked.

Fister would probably be the best pitcher for Kelly to catch anyhow, since Verlander would destroy his hand, and Porcello and Penny throw too many balls in the dirt.

Jeez man. Not like he setting a record behind the plate. You all sound like Avila is going to vaporize.

MI_Thumb said:
I know it's not optimal, but with the series already won, why not give Avila a break behind the plate and let Kelly catch.

We are going to be up shit creek without a paddle if Avila develops muscle spasms or something for being overworked.

Fister would probably be the best pitcher for Kelly to catch anyhow, since Verlander would destroy his hand, and Porcello and Penny throw too many balls in the dirt.

I agree AA needs a rest soon..

Not the greatest lineup out there for Fister.. Maggs still third and Raburn out there instead of Betemit.. Not to mention Santiago at 2nd.. Leyland better have some good hunches..

We need Frankie Hayes. He caught 312 games in a row behind the pate.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Jeez man. Not like he setting a record behind the plate. You all sound like Avila is going to vaporize.

Setting a record or not, Catcher takes the most physical toll on a player outside of pitchers.

And the fact that he's young is irrelevant, I know you'll bring that up.

He had caught a lot of games, and has to go 4 more without a day off.

Think of how screwed we will be if we lose him for any length of time dues to something like muscle spasms or cramps.

We can agree do disagree on this Mitch, as we have all season, but I think he needs a break, before he breaks.

Raburn is batting .214/.214/.357/.571 the last 7 days...

But to be fair to Mudhen if that is possible he does hit LHP really goood. and his last 14 day and 28 day totals are not bad..

14 day totals .310/.310/.517/.828
28 day totals .311/.354/.533/.887.

But that is his only good stretch of the year and I am pretty sure most of those 14 hits were verses LHP...And he almost cost the tigers the game with his fielding again last night.

Back