Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

OT Clarifying conversation

GoBlueInAtlanta

So I'm watching the 1986 Iowa vs San Diego State game and enjoying leftover pizza and my homemade wings (mmmmmm) and my wife mentions, "The trash needs to go out as soon as you're able."

Wanting to be a good husband and improve our communication (and also not wanting to take the trash out), I said, "You know . . . that phrase "as soon as you are able" leaves room for misunderstanding because some people mean it as "do it immediately" while others mean it as "when you get around to it" which could mean when I leave for work tomorrow morning."

Mrs. GBIA: "Well, I mean, "Will you please take out the trash after lunch?"

Me: "Tomorrow morning is after lunch."

Mrs. GBIA: "Take it out immediately after lunch!"

Me: "Hey, I'm just trying to remove the ambiguity in our conversation."

Mrs. GBIA: "Yeah. well I'm going to remove something and there will be NO ambiguity about it!"

Pretty fiesty for 5'2", a buck and a dime!
grin.png

You're lucky she even says as soon as you're able. Mine just says "trash is full" and then i get mean mugged and the cold shoulder til its done. If i forget, well, let's just say that daddy don't get no play.

Reminds me of my dad. Takes figures of speech so literal. I call him, he answers, I say "hey pop, whats up?" he pauses, and responds "I dont know, you tell me, you called"....

[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]You're lucky she even says as soon as you're able. Mine just says "trash is full" and then i get mean mugged and the cold shoulder til its done. If i forget, well, let's just say that daddy don't get no play.

If mama isn't happy, ain't no one happy.

GoBlueInAtlanta said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]As soon as you're able means, RIGHT NOW.

Hey! Who's side are you on??? ;)

Our side. But from experience, from my mom to my sisters to my wife to my daughters I'm always wrong. I've learned to live with it.

:)

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
GoBlueInAtlanta said:
Hey! Who's side are you on??? ;)

Our side. But from experience, from my mom to my sisters to my wife to my daughters I'm always wrong. I've learned to live with it.

:)

LOL

I'm fortunate, I got a good one. Next month will be 32 years, so we've figured each other out. She was in on the original post. Hey, I ain't stupid!

I see that not many have actually helped you in this thread GBiA, so I'll go, because my wife acts like that.

You can do this several ways and each is going to set a precedent. The wife is wanting it done immediately, but that doesn't mean that you should do it immediately. If you're a dog owner, you might better understand this. If you get up and do it immediately, then the next time she tells you to do something, she is going to expect you to do it immediately again. If you do it 3 days from now...well, you're going to be in trouble there, but what is she really going to do? Be mad? Whoopdeedoo!! If you're a man, then your wife can't use the 'no nookie' thing as a punishment, because she is getting punished too. If my wife tries the no nookie thing, i just say, 'yeah right.' She likes the nookie too, so its not really a punishment to me.

the thing is, be reasonable, just like with everything. DO NOT jump up immediately and do it, because you're setting yourself up for a conditioned response there and you'll be in trouble the next time you don't jump up immediately to do something. Just, hey, you're watching the game...next commercial, take care of it. If you have dvr, wait for like 10 minutes, then hit pause, then do it. Just be reasonable about it and if she doesn't like it, then act like you don't care that she's mad...she'll get over it.

In this specific case, you should finish eating, then do it...

Hungry said:
I see that not many have actually helped you in this thread GBiA, so I'll go, because my wife acts like that.

You can do this several ways and each is going to set a precedent. The wife is wanting it done immediately, but that doesn't mean that you should do it immediately. If you're a dog owner, you might better understand this. If you get up and do it immediately, then the next time she tells you to do something, she is going to expect you to do it immediately again. If you do it 3 days from now...well, you're going to be in trouble there, but what is she really going to do? Be mad? Whoopdeedoo!! If you're a man, then your wife can't use the 'no nookie' thing as a punishment, because she is getting punished too. If my wife tries the no nookie thing, i just say, 'yeah right.' She likes the nookie too, so its not really a punishment to me.

the thing is, be reasonable, just like with everything. DO NOT jump up immediately and do it, because you're setting yourself up for a conditioned response there and you'll be in trouble the next time you don't jump up immediately to do something. Just, hey, you're watching the game...next commercial, take care of it. If you have dvr, wait for like 10 minutes, then hit pause, then do it. Just be reasonable about it and if she doesn't like it, then act like you don't care that she's mad...she'll get over it.

In this specific case, you should finish eating, then do it...

Thanks, Hungry, but it was mostly a joke about the difference between men and women. As I said, we're 32 years in, and at this point we laugh about this kind of stuff.

She even helped me recall the conversation as I was posting it.

Hey, I had the same thing yesterday. I take it out but don't re-line the can with a new trashbag. That's my little game I play....

bigvic said:
Hey, I had the same thing yesterday. I take it out but don't re-line the can with a new trashbag. That's my little game I play....

The male of our species is artful, isn't he?

bigvic said:

That's the crap that my wife pulls...

Just hup to it GBIA, you lazy bones! :*)

You have a few years of wedded bliss on me - I have 27 and yes it is much the same in our house - but one thing is for sure, I can't wait too long, or I get the " . . . you NEVER do what I ask . . ."

I can't really complain though - I am a 20 year season ticket holder to the Lions, and 33 years now for Michigan football as of this year. So she puts up with a lot.

That includes tailgates on both home Saturday's and home Sunday's.

. . . So my answer is usually, after hitting the pause button, "how high would you like me to jump there hon?"

KAWDUP said:
Just hup to it GBIA, you lazy bones! :*)

You have a few years of wedded bliss on me - I have 27 and yes it is much the same in our house - but one thing is for sure, I can't wait too long, or I get the " . . . you NEVER do what I ask . . ."

I can't really complain though - I am a 20 year season ticket holder to the Lions, and 33 years now for Michigan football as of this year. So she puts up with a lot.

That includes tailgates on both home Saturday's and home Sunday's.

. . . So my answer is usually, after hitting the pause button, "how high would you like me to jump there hon?"

Sounds like you got a good one, too.

Back