Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Furbush and Wells

biggunsbob

Are playing great verses Boston today.. Maybe this will jinx them.. Well's has another Home run today and Furbush has only giving up 1 run through 7 innings with 2 walks and 6 k's..

Damn we need Fister to deliver because today a Furbush or Below and Well's in right beats Baltimore in my opinion....

They would have won the game for us? Didn't they have starts for us and not be very good. And didn't Wells not put up good numbers. Sizemore started well to after being traded.

But back on point, I like Dirks more than Wells. And with BB and Ajax holding the other two OF spots he was never more than a fourth OF here.

justinrose74 said:
I really hope we don't regret this trade, Fister looks like rubbish

He had a great first game. They can't be all golden. Plus both of those were nothing special here.

They're also playing for a last place team so they're not under as much pressure.

Sizemore played great too for a few weeks after getting traded.

Didn't Luke French pitch well for awhile after getting traded? He just got DFA.

All in all, these trades don't bother me. If it wasn't made, you'd all be bitching that they didn't make a move.

I'm of the thought we have to wait on this trade. It's early yet.
Fister has good command and location he is ok like his first game, with out that, like today, his pitches up will get hit more often.

Wells and Furbush maybe they continue to play good, maybe they won't.

Right now after today, most are thinking it's a bad trade.
I have to wait on it mid 2012, before judgement either way.

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]I'm of the thought we have to wait on this trade. It's early yet.
Fister has good command and location he is ok like his first game, with out that, like today, his pitches up will get hit more often.

You're right, only time will tell. I think the deal was a win for both teams. Fister proved over two full seasons that he is a solid 4-5 guy, but he is gonna have some off days as we saw today. The same can be said for everyone in our rotation other than JV this year.

Fister is young and has a very club friendly contract. If he goes out and continues to get bombed than obviously the deal didn't help the club, but I have a hard time looking at his prior stats and believing he will get shelled in start after start.

edit: Not that I thought you were implying he was gonna be a bust KC.

I did not mind the Fister deal but in my opinion Well's giving regular playing time would produce more then Magglio and as much as Dirks. I know he was the odd man out but in my opinion DD should have went after a lead-off hitter,starter, and relief pitcher at the deadline.. Just like all of us i want some instant results and some sustained results.

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]I did not mind the Fister deal but in my opinion Well's giving regular playing time would produce more then Magglio and as much as Dirks. I know he was the odd man out but in my opinion DD should have went after a lead-off hitter,starter, and relief pitcher at the deadline.. Just like all of us i want some instant results and some sustained results.

That's the thing. As much as dirks. So with Ajax and BB, he's a part time player here. No doubt Seattle has room but Detroit is a player who only would get bats against LHP. He was expendable.

Sign a RF and have dirks be your platoon guy next year. Wells had no future here and we tried SOMETHING at least to fill out our rotation. Cant hate the deal...hopefully it works out for us this year and doesnt turn into Washburn part deux.

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]I'm of the thought we have to wait on this trade. It's early yet.

Agreed. This wasn't just a deal for 2011.

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]Are playing great verses Boston today.. Maybe this will jinx them.. Well's has another Home run today and Furbush has only giving up 1 run through 7 innings with 2 walks and 6 k's..

Damn we need Fister to deliver because today a Furbush or Below and Well's in right beats Baltimore in my opinion....

Freaking Well's hit another home run tonight... I just wonder now if the Tigers had used Magglio's 10 million on the bullpen or a second basemen they couldn't have gone to camp and let that last outfield spot sort itself out.. I mean freaking Leyland was determined to use Raburn anyway... I guess hindsight... shoot..

It really is hard to know if Wells would have done better playing more here. When you're a PT player you need to hit to show them you deserve to start more. He didn't, unlike Dirks. Plus we needed pitching and ha, he went to Seattle. For his sake I hope he gets traded again because those Mariners are a bad bad team. And they will be for some time.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]It really is hard to know if Wells would have done better playing more here. When you're a PT player you need to hit to show them you deserve to start more. He didn't, unlike Dirks. Plus we needed pitching and ha, he went to Seattle. For his sake I hope he gets traded again because those Mariners are a bad bad team. And they will be for some time.

If I remember correctly, Wells was actually doing better at the plate than Dirks before he was sent down. Hit a couple big homers right before he got the ol' bus ticket to Toledo.

Dirks got to stay because he was a lefty replacement for Magglio, and Wells was redundant because of Raburn.

I think Dirks was a bit better. He had more HR at the time. Granted he played more. And a Leftie which helps. But I'd still do it, we needed pitching and I like Fister. I was checking Seattle's leader board page. Highest BA (Qualified) is Ichiro at. 265. Just brutal.

At the time of the trade

Wells .257 BAVG .323 OBP .451 SLG .774 OPS
Dirks .256 BAVG .306 OBP .440 SLG .746 OPS

rebbiv said:
At the time of the trade

Wells .257 BAVG .323 OBP .451 SLG .774 OPS
Dirks .256 BAVG .306 OBP .440 SLG .746 OPS

Don't bring facts into an argument.

Back