Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Why FOX, Why?

redandguilty

Why do they make you wait 8 days to watch a show that's already aired. The other networks let you restart a show as soon as it begins airing. Basically, you can watch shows whenever you want, but with FOX, once you're a week behind, you have to stay a week behind. Why on earth do they do this?

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]What are you talking about, what show?

They do it with everything, I think. In my case, it recently happened with Fringe. It's a Friday night show, so I miss it all the time. When they space out episodes more than a week apart (which is often) its fine. If I'm going to watch TV on a Friday, I can pull up the episode I missed from 2 weeks ago and catch up. But when there are new episodes multiple weeks in a row, and I miss one, the 8 day delay means there's a new episode tonight, but I can't watch the previous episode until tomorrow...and then I can't watch tonight's episode for another 8 days.

Why not download it like every other person? Usually someone has it up within 3 hours...

[color=#551A8B said:
Danny Diggler[/color]]Why not download it like every other person? Usually someone has it up within 3 hours...
I haven't downloaded a show in ages. The thought doesn't even cross my mind that often anymore. I was thinking about it for Big Love season 5.

But it doesn't bother me to wait for a show, so being able to pull it up through cable is the easiest way to do it. You just type in the 1st few letters of the show you want and it pulls up the last few episodes. Even when I'm stuck waiting week after week, it's not how it personally impacts me that bugs me. But the inexplicable stupidity of the 8 day delay drives me crazy. I can't for the life of me figure out why they'd have an 8 day delay when nobody else does it that way. It's the reasoning (or lack of it) that I want to know.

Red and Guilty said:
[quote="Mitch":a98gc8jt]What are you talking about, what show?

They do it with everything, I think. In my case, it recently happened with Fringe. It's a Friday night show, so I miss it all the time. When they space out episodes more than a week apart (which is often) its fine. If I'm going to watch TV on a Friday, I can pull up the episode I missed from 2 weeks ago and catch up. But when there are new episodes multiple weeks in a row, and I miss one, the 8 day delay means there's a new episode tonight, but I can't watch the previous episode until tomorrow...and then I can't watch tonight's episode for another 8 days.[/quote:a98gc8jt]

Sorry, I still don't know what you're talking about. Lol. Are you watching these online or something? I just DVR everything, makes it easy.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
[quote="Red and Guilty":180jvet4]

They do it with everything, I think. In my case, it recently happened with Fringe. It's a Friday night show, so I miss it all the time. When they space out episodes more than a week apart (which is often) its fine. If I'm going to watch TV on a Friday, I can pull up the episode I missed from 2 weeks ago and catch up. But when there are new episodes multiple weeks in a row, and I miss one, the 8 day delay means there's a new episode tonight, but I can't watch the previous episode until tomorrow...and then I can't watch tonight's episode for another 8 days.

Sorry, I still don't know what you're talking about. Lol. Are you watching these online or something? I just DVR everything, makes it easy. [/quote:180jvet4]

It's a feature of digital cable. I guess it varies from company to company, but my parents had it and didn't even know it. For Time Warner, there are some buttons on the remote labeled A, B, C, and D that let them try out and add new features. For about a year now, pressing the "B" button pulls up a menu where you can type in the name of a show and play it. For Comcast, I thinks there a channel you can go to and go through menus. It works just like the On Demand stuff, but it's free. All the major networks participate along with the Big 10 Network and SyFy and A&E and Discovery and a bunch of the smaller cable networks. ABC, CBS, and NBC let you watch shows as soon as they air, FOX makes you wait 8 days.

You might find you don't need DVR anymore...except it still doesn't usually include sporting events. If you DVR sports, you'll still want DVR.

I have Dish so its not an option. Our local cable, Charter -- has nothing like that.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]I have Dish so its not an option. Our local cable, Charter -- has nothing like that.

I think the cable rules follow the free hulu and network website rules. The FOX delay is one weird thing. The other thing that's inconsistent is being able to fast forward through commercials. Some shows allow it, some disable it.

Direct TV, comcast, and Cox cable have an on demand page where you can go and pull up the shows. But Fox will not put all of the shows on the on demand and when they do its on a delay As it is on hulu as well. I despise having to wait for it when its already been put on. CBS does not make you wait they put everything on their own website right after the show airs.

Back