Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Rawls = Stud

are you saying he is a virile and promiscuous young man, or a male horse kept primarily for breeding?

A combination of the two, a virile young man who runs like a horse.

Yeah, he has the body type this coaching staff is looking for.

If Hoke is anything like Carr in this regard, he'll put a high value on blitz pickups...those aren't always the easiest to learn, even if you're willing. Hopefully something like that isn't an issue.

Watched the 93 Rose Bowl over the weekend -- Wheatley, Powers & Russell blasting through the line, north/south .....started getting all excited for the new old school we're about to see...

I sure hope they call the "Michigan Reverse" at least once a game. I miss that play.

Who would have thought that a move away from Lloyd Carr would also signal a move away from any trick plays whatsoever.

I have a hunch we'll see a good chunk of them this year.

yeah, Carr actually used trick plays pretty damn effectively when he had to.

Would be nice if we never had to use any, I guess, but to get out of a hole, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

bigvic said:
Watched the 93 Rose Bowl over the weekend -- Wheatley, Powers & Russell blasting through the line, north/south .....started getting all excited for the new old school we're about to see...

yeah, they rolled Grbac out of the pocket a lot too & threw to the TEs.

We have great TEs! I want to see more of that with Shoelace to Koger.

MichChamp02 said:

Would be nice if we never had to use any, I guess, but to get out of a hole, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

I don't see any reason not to use them. They're a good tool to make sure the opposing defense doesn't over-play against your tendencies, or at least bust them for a big play if they're committed to doing so.

DR said:
MichChamp02 said:

I don't see any reason not to use them. They're a good tool to make sure the opposing defense doesn't over-play against your tendencies, or at least bust them for a big play if they're committed to doing so.

Yeah, I agree. Under Carr we typically only used them when the offense had completely stalled, although, we would work in the reverse from time to time.

Would be interesting to be in the booth when that sort of call is discussed to see what they looked at.

There was one play I'd like to see again: it was from early in last year's ND game. we ran what looked like a QB sweep, but once the defense started to collapse on Denard, he just sort of flung it ahead to Stonum in the slot for an easy TD. That was a great call. the quick release was what made it possible. kinda surprised we didn't see it again.

I also liked the QB-draw for a TD Forcier ran in '09. Move the ball down the field and read the safeties dropping off in to coverage, then take off right up the gut. Not really as much of a "trick play" though

MichChamp02 said:
DR said:

Yeah, I agree. Under Carr we typically only used them when the offense had completely stalled, although, we would work in the reverse from time to time.

Would be interesting to be in the booth when that sort of call is discussed to see what they looked at.

There was one play I'd like to see again: it was from early in last year's ND game. we ran what looked like a QB sweep, but once the defense started to collapse on Denard, he just sort of flung it ahead to Stonum in the slot for an easy TD. That was a great call. the quick release was what made it possible. kinda surprised we didn't see it again.

I also liked the QB-draw for a TD Forcier ran in '09. Move the ball down the field and read the safeties dropping off in to coverage, then take off right up the gut. Not really as much of a "trick play" though

I like all the Tim Tebow type fakes for Denards game.
As far as the Forcier comment- Is that the one where he cut real hard and left that guy laying on the turf?

MichChamp02 said:
bigvic said:

yeah, they rolled Grbac out of the pocket a lot too & threw to the TEs.

We have great TEs! I want to see more of that with Shoelace to Koger.

Yeah, McGee was catching everything and the only guy Grbac was throwing to ... As for trick plays, every play involving Shoelace can be a trick play!!

Aw yea ....
cool.png

laugh.png

MichChamp02 said:
DR said:

The Forcier TD was a Cover Zero and he knew once he beat his man he was gone. I doubt they ran that scheme much after that play.
laugh.png

Beez said:
MichChamp02 said:

As far as the Forcier comment- Is that the one where he cut real hard and left that guy laying on the turf?

I don't remember him making any cuts; he just took the snap, paused for a second, and then sprinted up the field. he was quick enough to get through the LBs and without them touching him. that was like the most effective QB-draw I'd ever seen.

MichChamp02 said:
Beez said:

I don't remember him making any cuts; he just took the snap, paused for a second, and then sprinted up the field. he was quick enough to get through the LBs and without them touching him. that was like the most effective QB-draw I'd ever seen.

maybe I'm having a Roger clemens "Misrememberment" but I could have sworn he was running left to right a bit on a draw and cut up field while leaving an nd player falling to the ground for a td. Maybe it was a seperate play? I dont htink he scored twice though.

GoBlueInAtlanta said:
The Forcier TD was a Cover Zero and he knew once he beat his man he was gone. I doubt they ran that scheme much after that play.
laugh.png

yeah, I don't remember there being any safeties there.

I'd like to see how they lined up on that one again. I wonder if they had blitz called from the secondary? if so, that's the way to counter that. Like scissors to paper.

it's quite possible I'm mis-remembering it too. I'm guessing it's on youtube somewhere.

Back