Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Delmon Young

From MLBtraderumors.com ...

Tigers Acquire Delmon Young
By Tim Dierkes [August 15 at 1:33pm CST]
In a surprising intra-division deal, the Twins announced today that they've traded outfielder Delmon Young to the Tigers for lefty Cole Nelson and a player to be named later. The press release notes that the PTBNL must be chosen on or before October 15th. The Tigers had an open spot on the 40-man roster for Young.

Young, 25, is hitting just .266/.305/.357 in 325 plate appearances on the season. Though he's generally regarded as a subpar defender, his UZR is positive in this year's 642 inning sample. Young is under team control through next year, but with a mild raise likely from this year's $5.375MM salary, the Twins weren't necessarily going to tender him a contract in December.

Drafted first overall by the Rays in 2003, Young was a key part of the '07 challenge trade that sent Jason Bartlett and Matt Garza to Tampa Bay. He hasn't lived up to his potential, posting solid batting averages but failing to draw walks or hit for power outside of his .493 slugging percentage last year. Still, a year ago it was hard to picture the Twins moving Young, especially to a division rival.

I really didn't think they had the balls. Sending Kelly down is about the only other thing I could see. Raburn could be the utility man. Don't really see that happening though (and i'm not wild about any expansion of Raburn's role)

Great....an over paid LF with no power, doesn't get on base and a poor fielder. Great move!

tomdalton22 said:
Great....an over paid LF with no power, doesn't get on base and a poor fielder. Great move!

Hey Mr. Rainy days.

tomdalton22 said:

If it's replacing the RF that fits all those descriptions, but worse, I'm fine with it.

.289 career average and is a better fielder than most of our OF, I'll take it.

DR said:
tomdalton22 said:

If it's replacing the RF that fits all those descriptions, but worse, I'm fine with it.
I don't think they are going to cut Maggs.

LOL_WUT_PEAR.jpg

I thought people were joking. Depends on the ptbnl, but why not pick up Young? He has major talent and is an upgrade over Maggs for right now and we got him at a bargain and his salary isn't outrageous.

Don't think this has anything to do with Boesch as he is supposed to be ready to play right now if needed.

I know Nelson was having a nice year in Lake land but we basically gave up nothing.

Back