Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Bacon's new book

redandguilty

John U. Bacon is writing a book on the Rodriguez era titled Three and Out: Rich Rodriguez and the Michigan Wolverines in the Crucible of College Football. It comes out in October.

Red and Guilty said:
John U. Bacon is writing a book on the Rodriguez era titled Three and Out: Rich Rodriguez and the Michigan Wolverines in the Crucible of College Football. It comes out in October.

I don't expect to read anything that would surprise me.

I hope he avoids the gossipy tabloid route though... the Program survived the nightmare, and everyone involved needs to move on. Carr made it clear by his actions and his words that he's above that sort of thing, and any former assistants, AD staff, or players should take that route too.

If Bacon's motivation is high-minded; like to tell the facts and use this whole thing as a "teachable moment" then it could be interesting. But if he's going out there to settle some scores, it could be more mud slinging. Not that RR doesn't deserve the mud, but a public feud isn't going to benefit anyone.

on the other hand, I don't know if anything really needs to be said. There were a couple choice passages from Bo's Life Lessons that stand in stark contrast to the things RichRod did and said when he got to Ann Arbor. Put those side by side, and that pretty much tells you everything you need to know about why things went down the way they did.

I wonder what Bill Martin thinks of his hire... Has he ever said anything? I wonder if the book will have something from Martin's side of things.

MichChamp02 said:
Red and Guilty said:

I don't expect to read anything that would surprise me.

I hope he avoids the gossipy tabloid route though... the Program survived the nightmare, and everyone involved needs to move on. Carr made it clear by his actions and his words that he's above that sort of thing, and any former assistants, AD staff, or players should take that route too.

If Bacon's motivation is high-minded; like to tell the facts and use this whole thing as a "teachable moment" then it could be interesting. But if he's going out there to settle some scores, it could be more mud slinging. Not that RR doesn't deserve the mud, but a public feud isn't going to benefit anyone.

on the other hand, I don't know if anything really needs to be said. There were a couple choice passages from Bo's Life Lessons that stand in stark contrast to the things RichRod did and said when he got to Ann Arbor. Put those side by side, and that pretty much tells you everything you need to know about why things went down the way they did.

I think Bacon was granted access to the workings of the program (whatever that means) from the start of RR's tenue. I vaguely remember Bacon mentioning that he was working on a book that would offer an inside look before RR was fired, so I don't think this is about score settling. ...so the title probably doesn't reflect Bacon's attitude while he was gathering information.

Of course the book will be about the time RR was here, but when I read it I got the feeling it would be centered on the end of the title.

Three and Out: Rich Rodriguez and the Michigan Wolverines in the Crucible of College Football

Perhaps an expose' on the current state of college football, using RR's failed attempt.

yeah, I guess judging by the title "...in the Crucible of College Football," I don't expect score-settling, or mud-slinging, but I do expect an objective analysis of why RR did not succeed.

"granted access to the workings of the program (whatever that means) from the start of RR's tenue [sic]."

I think it means he was able to interview people involved with or employed by the program, walk around the halls, watch practices, etc. etc. He may even have been given primary source material, documents, contracts, emails, transcripts, etc.

obviously the title came later... if he told you he was writing a book called: Three and Out: Rich Rodriguez and the Michigan Wolverines in the Crucible of College Football in summer 2008... he would be a hater.

Given Bacon's history with the program, I would be surprised if on a personal level at least, he was okay with the things RR said and did when he got to Ann Arbor, over the course of the 2008 season, getting sanctions, etc. But he's a pretty fair author, so think (I hope) he was able to keep his personal feelings out of it, and just tell the story.

GoBlueInAtlanta said:
Of course the book will be about the time RR was here, but when I read it I got the feeling it would be centered on the end of the title.

Three and Out: Rich Rodriguez and the Michigan Wolverines in the Crucible of College Football

Perhaps an expose' on the current state of college football, using RR's failed attempt.

I was in a hurry. I should have said, "Perhaps a commentary on the current state of college football," not expose'.

MichChamp02 said:
"granted access to the workings of the program (whatever that means) from the start of RR's tenue [sic]."

I think it means he was able to interview people involved with or employed by the program, walk around the halls, watch practices, etc. etc. He may even have been given primary source material, documents, contracts, emails, transcripts, etc.

obviously the title came later... if he told you he was writing a book called: Three and Out: Rich Rodriguez and the Michigan Wolverines in the Crucible of College Football in summer 2008... he would be a hater.

Given Bacon's history with the program, I would be surprised if on a personal level at least, he was okay with the things RR said and did when he got to Ann Arbor, over the course of the 2008 season, getting sanctions, etc. But he's a pretty fair author, so think (I hope) he was able to keep his personal feelings out of it, and just tell the story.

From everything I've ever heard about him he's a writer with integrity. I expect a good read.

Believe it or not, an acquaintance of mine, a UOS fan, heard I'm a Michigan fan and gave me "Bo's Lasting Lessons" for Christmas!

GoBlueInAtlanta said:
MichChamp02 said:

From everything I've ever heard about him he's a writer with integrity. I expect a good read.

Believe it or not, an acquaintance of mine, a UOS fan, heard I'm a Michigan fan and gave me "Bo's Lasting Lessons" for Christmas!

I sent a copy of Lasting Lessons to a guy that doesn't follow football and doesn't have any ties or much interest in Michigan. He loved it. Got his fiancee to read it and she loved it too.

MichChamp02 said:

Exactly why I think it's tough to guess how much access he had. But your guess seems good to me. As open as RR was with media, I could see him opening the doors to Bacon...but you'd think at some point, the warmth would wear off.

my take on it: RR always did seem pretty cool to the Michigan establishment, and Bacon was certainly part of it. I think being allowed access to the program[/], and being allowed access to RichRod's "office" so to speak are two different things. The "insiders" in the latter case were only the ones that came from Morgantown with RR...

Back