Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Krugman book thread continuation

redandguilty

Seems to be getting political

MichChamp02 said:
Red and Guilty said:
Find a stupid strawman argument, imply that the stupidity of one side means the opposite approach is correct, rinse, repeat. He's not sinking to their level, but he is using one of their tactics, over and over again. Smart liberals fail to recognize it because they agree with him.

But he doesn't do that, goddamit!!!! AAAAARGH!!!

I don't subscribe to the NYTimes and I'm almost out of free articles for the month, but just google searching "republican krugman site:nytimes.com" turns up the following from the 1st page of results:

"I view the primary race through the lens of the FOF theory

Jack Krugman

QuincyME.jpg

Like I told you: he's a prolific blogger. You make it seem like all he's doing is attacking Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin.

If you follow him on twitter, you get access to a lot more articles & posts from him. MOST of them are related to actual economics/policy. You're cherry picking articles here and misrepresenting the bulk of his work.

dingbat.

Going from "he doesn't do that" to "You're cherry picking articles" is progress...I'll take it.

Is that exclusively what he does? No. But does he present real world balance in his other articles? Also no. Just towing the party line is a waste if you're capable of better and have the platform to do it.

Red and Guilty said:
Going from "he doesn't do that" to "You're cherry picking articles" is progress...I'll take it.

Is that exclusively what he does? No. But does he present real world balance in his other articles? Also no. Just towing the party line is a waste if you're capable of better and have the platform to do it.

I guess I'm having trouble understanding exactly what you're arguing. Is it that because his background is in academics, he should never bother to address talking points from Republican politicians, blowhards on Fox, or GOP "think" tanks, and should stick to journals?

MichChamp02 said:
Red and Guilty said:

I guess I'm having trouble understanding exactly what you're arguing. Is it that because his background is in academics, he should never bother to address talking points from Republican politicians, blowhards on Fox, or GOP "think" tanks, and should stick to journals?

Yup, that's sort of one way to put it. A guy with a Nobel in economics should be better than your typical partisan talking head. What good is his expertise if none of his points stray from the party line?

Red and Guilty said:
MichChamp02 said:

Yup, that's sort of one way to put it. A guy with a Nobel in economics should be better than your typical partisan talking head. What good is his expertise if none of his points stray from the party line?

Wait, you are really equating Paul Krugman with Glenn Beck?

MichChamp02 said:
Red and Guilty said:

That's going way too far, but I would say, since Glenn Beck was spewing stuff at least as quickly as Krugman, every time Krugman wasted an article debunking something Beck said, the left traded a knight for an extreme right pawn.

Red and Guilty said:
MichChamp02 said:

That's going way too far, but I would say, since Glenn Beck was spewing stuff at least as quickly as Krugman, every time Krugman wasted an article debunking something Beck said, the left traded a knight for an extreme right pawn.

that's dumb.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Thanks thumb :) . I especially like the Men at Work golf clap.

I always liked that movie, I have it on VHS.

Back