Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Magglio

biggunsbob

Look I know we are all glad Magglio has been with the team for the years he has been here but someone in the organization has to make a decision. He really cannot be a very valuable role player unless they just want to carry him for the last two weeks of August till call ups. He is a horrible pinch hitter. He cannot play defense very well.. He cannot pinch run because he cannot run anymore.. For crying out load i really do not think he is seeing very many pitches each at bat. I think in his 1-5 at Baltimore he saw a total of 20 pitches.. Loyalty is great but the Tigers cost themselves wins time ans time again by being to loyal.

Is the reason he is not being DFA because it may fracture the team. He is very popular player...Because if management really wants to improve the club and win the central they have to part ways with Magglio.

The organization needs to come to terms with certain players if they want to go further in the season...certain players can only go so far, and when the back up for maggs or his platoon are just as much a liability then JL should recognize this and talk to DD and get players in that can play...sometimes you wonder what on earth JL and DD see when they watch the team play with all its deficiencies...Do they honestly see a team that can day in and day out compete with the Philies, Braves, Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers or any other team that is a playoff caliber team

He won't be here next year what do you want. They're not going to dfa a vet like him, especially this close to September. They have come to terms with him and Inge, which is why they got replacements. Not sure what you're expecting.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]He won't be here next year what do you want. They're not going to dfa a vet like him, especially this close to September. They have come to terms with him and Inge, which is why they got replacements. Not sure what you're expecting.

Yeah your probably right but how many games has it cost the Tigers with Magglio In right field?

I really like the position the Tigers have put themselves in for the future. They have money coming off the books after this year and can really focus on getting a big FA to play 2nd base right now or maybe even 3rd base. Give me a lead off hitter who can field well at either of those spots and this team is solid. I hope this is the last season we have to deal with Inge, Maggs, Guillen and Raburn. Were in a good spot right now, but who knows what the plans are this off season? Maybe DD has been told to go cheap and platoon guys at 2nd and 3rd, but it doesn't appear that way for now.

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]
[quote="Mitch":337r6fwl]He won't be here next year what do you want. They're not going to dfa a vet like him, especially this close to September. They have come to terms with him and Inge, which is why they got replacements. Not sure what you're expecting.

Yeah your probably right but how many games has it cost the Tigers with Magglio In right field?[/quote:337r6fwl]

Probably less than you think. But still being in first with Maggs, Guillen, Raburn for half a year and Inge I'm pleasantly surprised the team is still up there. And throw in the inconsistent play by the SP and the BP and I'm flabbergasted by the results.

But fortunately for us all ALC teams have just as many problems.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
[quote="biggunsbob":ez2760m0]

Yeah your probably right but how many games has it cost the Tigers with Magglio In right field?

Probably less than you think. But still being in first with Maggs, Guillen, Raburn for half a year and Inge I'm pleasantly surprised the team is still up there. And throw in the inconsistent play by the SP and the BP and I'm flabbergasted by the results.

But fortunately for us all ALC teams have just as many problems. [/quote:ez2760m0]
definitely the worst division in baseball.

No doubt about that....AL central is really,really bad...

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]
[quote="Mitch":9q10yw75]He won't be here next year what do you want. They're not going to dfa a vet like him, especially this close to September. They have come to terms with him and Inge, which is why they got replacements. Not sure what you're expecting.

Yeah your probably right but how many games has it cost the Tigers with Magglio In right field?[/quote:9q10yw75]

Honestly from a fielding perspective? None.

Magglio may not get to balls as quick, or have the range of many RF's, but I can't think of a single game where we lost and it was because of a run(s) allowed by Magglio being in RF.

He also has 0 errors, and 7 assists in 52 games and a pretty good arm and has made some great throws.

As bad as he is in RF, that's not where he was hurting us.

It was that he was batting 3rd.

It was that he can't get around on a fastball anymore and every pitcher knows it.

It was because he just can't run, period.

We all told ourselves that Maggs was just unlucky because of all the line drives right at people, then we hear that he has to cheat on the FB and swing early, which means he is swinging with his arms only, and that means no power.

As bad as Jackson, Raburn, Inge, and Guillen have hurt us, Mags hurt us worse because of the order he was hitting in.

I'm glad Leyland finally realized this and moved him, but I'm afraid it's too little, too late.

MI_Thumb said:
[quote="biggunsbob":zob68y3k]

Magglio may not get to balls as quick, or have the range of many RF's, but I can't think of a single game where we lost and it was because of a run(s) allowed by Magglio being in RF.

He also has 0 errors, and 7 assists in 52 games and a pretty good arm and has made some great throws.

It was that he can't get around on a fastball anymore and every pitcher knows it.

We all told ourselves that Maggs was just unlucky because of all the line drives right at people, then we hear that he has to cheat on the FB and swing early, which means he is swinging with his arms only, and that means no power.

As bad as Jackson, Raburn, Inge, and Guillen have hurt us, Mags hurt us worse because of the order he was hitting in.

I'm glad Leyland finally realized this and moved him, but I'm afraid it's too little, too late.[/quote:zob68y3k]

While he has not been all that bad in the outfield as far as errors goes you have to think his lack of range has cost the Tigers a few hits... Probably 10-20 give or take... How many times has he pulled up on balls coming in. How many times has balls got over his head only to fall at the base of the wall.

I agree with you he is hurting us more batting third but his lack of range in RF has hurt the team also..

how does one go, from hitting 3rd all year to the bench? just shows how ignorant Leyland is, that he hits a guy there all year, yet is willing to bench him. maybe he should have hit 6th or 7th and we wouldn't have noticed how bad of a year he was having.

hellifino said:
how does one go, from hitting 3rd all year to the bench? just shows how ignorant Leyland is, that he hits a guy there all year, yet is willing to bench him. maybe he should have hit 6th or 7th and we wouldn't have noticed how bad of a year he was having.

Hi H...

Yeah I cannot believe it took Jim so long to drop MO down the order or even bench him... Maybe he is getting pressure from DD and above.. We can only hope so because Magglio unfortunately lost it a long time ago.

biggunsbob, yeah it's a shame when ballplayers in any sport don't know when to hang it up. I liked Magglio as much as the next guy and was pulling for him, but as being Magglio, it has to be hard to turn down 10 mill.

nice forum, especially when I learn how to use all the bells and whistles. much better than the espn new forum. :2thumbsup

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]
[quote="MI_Thumb":k0xo3g1g]

I'm glad Leyland finally realized this and moved him, but I'm afraid it's too little, too late.

While he has not been all that bad in the outfield as far as errors goes you have to think his lack of range has cost the Tigers a few hits... Probably 10-20 give or take... How many times has he pulled up on balls coming in. How many times has balls got over his head only to fall at the base of the wall.

I agree with you he is hurting us more batting third but his lack of range in RF has hurt the team also..[/quote:k0xo3g1g]
i remember listening on the radio for one of the games in baltimore (the last one i think) when they said a double off the base of the wall was badly misplayed by maggs. he couldnt get back fast enough to catch it (it was a catchable ball) and then let it bounce over his head off the wall or something.

hellifino said:
biggunsbob, yeah it's a shame when ballplayers in any sport don't know when to hang it up. I liked Magglio as much as the next guy and was pulling for him, but as being Magglio, it has to be hard to turn down 10 mill.

nice forum, especially when I learn how to use all the bells and whistles. much better than the espn new forum. :2thumbsup

Yeah I agree with you on Magglio...It sure is a shame but your right he is not going to turn down 10 million.. Yeah Monster set up a really nice board... I was skeptical at first but I really like it so far. Games can get kinda wild and I have to stop getting made when jimmy starts Raburn in the infield.. my blood was boiling last night along with many other Tiger fans.

The same thing happened with Inge. Leyland kept trotting him out there until they traded for his replacement. Maggs is nothing but a mascot now. I'm no rhymes fan but he can help this team more than Maggs can. Especially after another clinic on how not to play second (or any position for that matter) by the butcher.

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]
[quote="MI_Thumb":7joy0nme]

I agree with you he is hurting us more batting third but his lack of range in RF has hurt the team also..[/quote:7joy0nme]

Right Bob, I'm not arguing he lets balls that would be out drop for hits, or singles go for extra bases....

I'm saying I can;t remember a game we lost where it was clearly Magglio that did us in, now compare that to Raburn.....

I'm saying Maggs killed us because hew as 3rd, we probably have 5-6 more wins if Boesch stays hitting 3rd and Maggs is out of the lineup or hitting later int he order.

MI_Thumb said:
[quote="biggunsbob":dajw67j8]

I agree with you he is hurting us more batting third but his lack of range in RF has hurt the team also..

Right Bob, I'm not arguing he lets balls that would be out drop for hits, or singles go for extra bases....

I'm saying I can;t remember a game we lost where it was clearly Magglio that did us in, now compare that to Raburn.....

I'm saying Maggs killed us because hew as 3rd, we probably have 5-6 more wins if Boesch stays hitting 3rd and Maggs is out of the lineup or hitting later int he order.[/quote:dajw67j8]

I was at Verlander's 100th victory. I sat in the front row of the Mezzanine in right. Maggs was positioned 3-4 steps closer to center than Fukudome or Kelly when Maggs was replaced.
It didn't cost us the game but the double that Asdrubal hit down the line should have been held to a single by anyone playing the correct position or anyone with range. If he cut off the ball before it got to the wall, it would have saved a run.
How many times has this happened this season? I don't get to see many games but this couldn't have been the first time.

hellifino said:

Good point. If Maggs was such a problem that he had to replaced, why the hell was he still batting 3rd this whole time? I mean if a guy is batting 3rd every game they usually must be having a pretty good season. It just doesn't make sense.

And yeah, Maggs range was atrocious out there, he didn't commit any errors because he didn't get near a lot of balls that the average center fielder can at least try to make a play on. Who knows how many hits and runs he cost us out there. It's not like Delmon Young is a great fielder, but he has shown good range in left, now Boesch will be in Right and probably save us several hits the rest of the way.

Back