Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Costello wins Mr. Basketball

johnny2x2x

http://www.freep.com/article/20120319/HSS/120319036/Mr-Basketball-Matt-Costello-Bay-City-Western?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Not surprising, the kid is a stud and one of the most underrated recruits in the country, if he can defend well enough, he should start at MSU from day 1. This season Costello averaged 25.1 points, 17.8 rebounds, 4.0 assists and 4.0 blocks a game against some of the top competition in the State. He's also grown and filled out, he's a legit 6-10 now at 245 lbs. MSU bound Denzel Valentine finished a close 2nd.

Starting is going to depend more on Nix and Payne. Even a great recruit probably wouldn't beat out both of those guys, who already know the system and how to produce. Costello would have to be a superstar.

That said, anytime we can get more scoring and rebounding in the paint it's a good thing, especially with Draymond on the way out.

everyoneneedsasmil said:
Starting is going to depend more on Nix and Payne. Even a great recruit probably wouldn't beat out both of those guys, who already know the system and how to produce. Costello would have to be a superstar.

That said, anytime we can get more scoring and rebounding in the paint it's a good thing, especially with Draymond on the way out.

Yeah, there is talk of Payne moving to the 4 and he and Nix starting together next year. If that happens we'll go:

C Nix 6-9, 270
PF Payne 6-10, 240
SF Dawson 6-6, 225
SG Harris 6-6, 205
PG Appling 6-1, 190

With Costello, Byrd, Kearny, Gauna, Trice, Kaminski and Valentine all in the rotation. That would be a giant starting 5 and a very deep bench. IF they still bring Nix off the bench and Costello starts, it's an even bigger starting 5.

Offensively that starting 5 would be a mistake. The lane would be way too clogged. Costello needs to start, to spread things out.

DR said:
You honestly think they're going to use a 12-man rotation?

Doubtful, you'd think Kaminski is a candidate to red shirt, but you'd have to think Valentine demands minutes. Costello would spread the floor more as he is a good outside shooter, but Payne has a good shot too and could become more of a perimeter player at times with Nix on the floor too. You really have to wonder how all of these guys will get minutes, but they will play 10 or 11 most games you'd think.

I really didn't watch a ton of MSU, but I don't remember ever seeing Payne outside of 12 feet from the hoop. Obviously I could be wrong about that. He did have pretty decent touch.

It definitely is going to be a challenge keeping everyone involved. They've come a long way in a short time from the Keebler days when walk-ons were playing. UM and MSU are in a similar boat in that regard.

DR said:
I really didn't watch a ton of MSU, but I don't remember ever seeing Payne outside of 12 feet from the hoop. Obviously I could be wrong about that. He did have pretty decent touch.

It definitely is going to be a challenge keeping everyone involved. They've come a long way in a short time from the Keebler days when walk-ons were playing. UM and MSU are in a similar boat in that regard.

Payne is a good shooter and shot quite a bit this year from 15 feet, he made a couple 3 pointers as well, but does not have the green light from Izzo beyond the arc. I think it would be fine for offense, it's defensively where there would be questions. Can Payne guard some of the quicker smaller 4s out on the floor and not get in foul trouble? He and Nix will most definitely see minutes together next year just not sure if they'll start together. Brandon Dawson also showed this year he can guard the 4 for most opponents, so against smaller and quicker teams we could feature Dawson at the 4 with Harris playing some 3 and Trice and Appling in the back court.

Next year's team is loaded no matter how you slice it, it will have more talent than this years team, but can they develop together as a team? That's the question for every team though.

Back