Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers vs. twins Game Thread August 16

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
Tigers lineup :
Jackson CF
Boesch RF *** welcome back Brennan.
Young LF
Cabrera 1B
Martinez DH
Avila C *** up a spot in lineup.
Peralta SS
Kelly 3B
Santiago 2B
Verlander P

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/preview?gameId=310816106&teams=minnesota-twins-vs-detroit-tigers
Tigers vs. twins Game Preview.
from espn

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/batvspitch/_/id/6341/justin-verlander
Verlander vs. twins.
from espn

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/batvspitch/_/id/28889/nick-blackburn
Tigers hitters vs. blackburn.
from espn

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2011_08_16_minmlb_detmlb_1&mode=gameday&c_id=det
Gameday from mlb.com

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=310816106&teams=minnesota-twins-vs-detroit-tigers
Boxscore from espn

Better defensively than last nights lineup.
Jim Leyland had said last night he would probably bat Delmon Young third even after Brennan Boesch returned to the lineup, and he wasn

I like this lineup. It's probably our best defensive lineup right now save for maybe Dirks in there somewhere. I like the 1st 7 and would like to see that 90% of the rest of the games. 2nd and 3rd base we are obviously going to platoon some with Raburn, Betemit, and Guillen(if he comes back) getting time.

This is a big game tonight for several reasons, need to stop the slide and Verlander can put a choke hold on the Cy Young with another dominant performance or 2.

Boesch in left and Dirks in right would be the best defensive lineup.

Well, on my way to the stadium.

Looking forward to watching a JV perfect game in person.

im not a fan of sitting betemit for kelly against a righty. one has an .857 OPS against them, the other has a .644 OPS. guess which one belongs to who. obviously kelly is better defensively, but is that difference big enough to make up for kelly's offensive ineptitude?

Spockmaster said:
im not a fan of sitting betemit for kelly against a righty. one has an .857 OPS against them, the other has a .644 OPS. guess which one belongs to who. obviously kelly is better defensively, but is that difference big enough to make up for kelly's offensive ineptitude?

Hopefully we wont need much O tonight if JV continues his ways. This line-up actually resembles a line up! I like the substitutions, esp magglio sitting. Maybe would flip flop Boesch and Young but thats just me being nit picky at this point (obviously assuming avila/peralta arent allowed to hit above 4 lol).

Spockmaster said:

Well Betemit has been pretty bad at 3b since he has been with us.

And while he has been hitting well, at times he also sounds lost at the plate, taking some swings at balls even Raburn would lay off.

I'm not opposed to giving Kelly a little plate time rather then just as a defensive replacement in late innings.

MI_Thumb said:
Spockmaster said:

Well Betemit has been pretty bad at 3b since he has been with us.

And while he has been hitting well, at times he also sounds lost at the plate, taking some swings at balls even Raburn would lay off.

I'm not opposed to giving Kelly a little plate time rather then just as a defensive replacement in late innings.

Hes been hitting the ball decent for average but i think youd have to figure in how much he strikes out. Hes been K'ing more than even Ajax. Then you obviously have the fielding issues on top of that. Give him a rest every once in awhile...meh its the leyland way.

mjsb2 said:
Boesch in left and Dirks in right would be the best defensive lineup.

I'm not completely sure on this but I'd thought I read somewhere that a ball is hit much more to left than right.

Anyway, the problem I have as many do Leyland has no rhyme or reason with his lineups. No damn consistentcy. He just throws guys out there regardless what there strength is. He rests a guy because he's 1-6 against a certain pitcher yet he continually puts BB in the two spot when we all know he's much better in the 3 hole.

so... are the tigers going to be keeping Young next year? and if so where does that leave Dirks? Trade Bait?

If anyone was wondering;
Most Homeruns among active players who are currently in their 20s, Miguel Cabrera with 270. He's 28. Thome had 233 thru his age 29 season.
Cabrera should get over 500 at his pace in 7 years?
Play until 40 would have a good chance at the next plateau.
thoughts?

Too early to say. Plus he's owed money, I think. But Dirks will stay. You need 5 OF anyway.

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]If anyone was wondering;
Most Homeruns among active players who are currently in their 20s, Miguel Cabrera with 270. He's 28. Thome had 233 thru his age 29 season.
thoughts?

I'm thinking 500, yeah age 35. 600 could be tough. But doable. But he won't be one of those "is he a HOF now with 500 HR" like they ask with Palmeiro, Thome and some others. He's just too good in so many other areas. By his estimate he's having a down year yet still is pretty damn awesome.

Verlander after a Tigers loss
2011 is 13 and 3 1.80
Career is 56 and 29 3.56.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
[quote="KalineCountry":swfhsqgi]If anyone was wondering;
thoughts?

I'm thinking 500, yeah age 35. 600 could be tough. But doable. But he won't be one of those "is he a HOF now with 500 HR" like they ask with Palmeiro, Thome and some others. He's just too good in so many other areas. By his estimate he's having a down year yet still is pretty damn awesome. [/quote:swfhsqgi]

.403 OBP, .558 SLG, .961 OPS
.391 obp, .551 SLG, .943 OPS

Those are the career numbers for Thome and Miggy. Of course it is early in Miggy's career but it also means that Thome has already had the "downside" of his career. BTW....the top line is Thome. I think you are underestimating how good of an offensive player he was. And....he was as good defensively as Miggy. If Miggy has the career that Thome has had it will be a great career.

I'm not worried about JV tonight, I'm worried about whether our bats will show up or not.

Verlander 1st inning,

revere getting pitched inside 2 and 2, lines a single to center,

plouffe strike call, JV throws to first, swings and misses a slider, throw to first, fouled back, called strike three with a slider,

mauer throw to first, fastball outside, fastball strike call, throw to first, fastball in fouled back, curve in the dirt gets away from Avila called a wild pitch runner to second, high full count, inside for a walk, crap,

morneau fastball fouled back, changeup is outside, strike call at the knees, outside, low full count, fouled, popped up to Kelly,

porky kubel ball outside, swings and misses a changeup, jammed fouled back, fastball inside corner squeezed, curve fouled back, low checkswing another full count, swings and misses a changeup,

Verlander with 29 pitches to the suckasstwins.

Back