Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Hunger Games

KAWDUP

My daughter had to be first in line to the midnight showing. I guess she was a fan of the books too.

What is the buzz with this movie? I get the sense it is just going to be a cult movie (similar to Twilight), but predictions have this one of the biggest all time.

Anyone else's kids going crazy for this one?

If nothing else, Jennifer Lawrence is nice to look at.

I know my niece said they read it in class earlier and are going to a showing of it today with her grade (8th).

Schools seem to be making a big effort lately to get kids to read more, by actively supporting books that are made into films, the school has taken them to several moves made from novels including Harry Potters, The Lovely Bones, The Secret life of Bees, and now the Hunger Games.

I know the school also encouraged them to read books that they could not offer the movie trips on like The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and Twilight, so maybe it's a good thing.

And I have to admit, from what I have read about it and the previews, it looks like it might be pretty entertaining.

I have read all three books and they are pretty darn good... More SF to me then teen books and the movie has already done 155 million in the US and another 60 million overseas this weekend . We tried to go see it and it was sold out in the afternoon on Saturday ..It is a certain both of the other books get made into movies with the third one being broken up into 2 movies because Hollywood is a bunch of greedy dicks...LOL

Well hopefully the furor will die down and I can finally just go and tickets at the time I go. :*)

I expect either this next weekend or the one after. I heard that it is definitely something to go see.

Question Bob, do you think I should read the book(s) first before seeing the movie?

Question Bob, do you think I should read the book(s) first before seeing the movie?

i haven't seen the movie yet, but the books were really good. I thought they'd be twilight-ish teeny garbage, it was nice to be wrong. If I were you I'd at least read the first book. It'll take you less than a couple days...

Only thing i had a problem with is it was written in first person present tense. It was annoying at first, but once the story gets into full swing you really don't notice it.

I agree with M.... In my opinion Books are great!!! Movies are bad!!! I like them both...LOL... But maybe try the first one... I liked the first one so much I pounded all the other two books of in short time.. I was very surprised how good they were although I was ready to be done with them by the end of book three.

Now are these books as good as 'The Windup Girl" Not a chance but Hunger Books appear to be making a lot of people rich in Hollywood... A funny side note I had bought a copy of the first book and a week later I won a free one it on a web page too. Other people win lotteries i win free books. LOL .. I think my sister has that copy....

Last edited:
Kawdup I read the book and enjoyed the movie; my brother did not and enjoyed the movie. I think the movie is well made enough to stand on its own and stays true to the storyline. The book obviously gives a little more insight into the characters which enhanced the movie for me. It's basically children's fare so like others mentioned you can bang it out in a few days if you really want to.

Thanks folks. I will read it first. My daughter has all the available books, so as soon as I steal her copy, I will knock it out. :*)

One of the reviews I read said the movies will seen a little difficult to follow if you have not read the books.

Where as Harry Potter the movies attempted to explain 99% of the story, the Hunger Games focuses more on the action and character interaction.

The review basically said, if you read the books you will love it, if you haven't you may still enjoy it but not understand it fully.

The review did praise Jennifer Lawrence as being fantastic in the lead role.

Finished the 3 books. I did enjoy them. Very affecting. I actually couldn't stop thinking about them or the story for several days. Ending of the third seemed a bit abrupt, but what else could you put her through, I guess?

Movie will be seen this weekend.

Back