Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Spring Depth Chart

johnny2x2x

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...f/2011-12/misc_non_event/SpringDepthChart.pdf

Some notes:
Fowler, Norman, and Thomas wont practice for much of the spring session as they are nursing injuries. Thomas tweaked the shoulder and it is just a precaution. Denzel Drone moves from DE to TE which he played in high school. Even though Norman is going to be a senior he better mend quickly because Taiwan Jones is a freak and will win that spot if Norman isn't ready to perform at a high level. Former DE starter Tyler Hoover is up to 295 lbs and is listed as the starter at DT next to the 320 lb Anthony Rashad White. Blake Treadwell moves to the LG position to take over from Joel Foreman.

Players to watch this year that you might not know about:

Shilique Calhoun DE, this kid was unblockable on the scout team last season and Pat Narduzzi thinks he'll be a star and Dantonio compared his talent to Julian Peterson recently. He's as fast of a D lineman as we've ever had and is a pure stud pass rusher, he'll take some snaps away from Marcus Rush this year.

Joel Heath DE, He's #2 behind Gholston at the DE spot and is the reason why Drone was able to move to offense, Dantonio tweeted today, "He looks just like Gholston". He's a great athlete.

CJ Williamson FS, He's listed as the co-starter with Kurtis Drummond, but CJ is too talented to keep off the field and should win this spot.

Jake Allen C, He's a RS Fr but is already pushing Jackson who was the starter last year, he's smart and strong and will push for snaps and be ready to step in for any of the interior guys. He's something of a prodigy and already could call the line assignments for the offense early last year. Very smart kid.

There is a ton of depth everywhere except TE, so Sims has to be healthy. By September Fowler and Arnett should be our starting wideouts, but there are 6 or 7 guys who will see passes. If Maxwell can develop quickly the sky is the limit.

Last edited:
Fowler always seems to be injuried. That's good to hear that Hoover put on weight and will move inside with the depth at DE. I never heard of Calhoun or Heath but if they are half as good as reported the MSU DLine will be one of the best in the country.

Fowler has the one foot injury that bothered him all last year, he had surgery and is going to be fine, but he has to be 100% before he's ready to go. Other good news is that Caesar is ready to go 100% finally as is Damon Knox at DT. Sims wrist is better too after the break basically cut his season short last year.

Our D line rotation should be sick, they'll rotate 8-10 guys every game.

The O line is returning 4 of last years starters and former starter Blake Treadwell who missed 2011 with an injury. There should be competition too with Burkland coming back from the injury, he could challenge France for the starting LT spot. Ruhland is also coming back from injury and provides great depth. Henry Conway is a mountain and he will start here at MSU before long. Really Burkland and Conway are the Tackles of the future. One good thing about injuries is they help you develop depth, losing 3 starting O lineman and Tyler Hoover for the entire year last season was tough to overcome, but it gives us 4 proven players to add depth this season along the lines.

What else is cool is that Arthur Ray is back up to 300 lbs and will participate in Spring Ball after beating cancer.

Last edited:
Yeah I think both DL and OL will be the strength next year. I also believe that they should have good depth at most positions. I heard they moved Bell down on the depth chart, I am sure that is to light a fire under him so he comes into the season with something to prove.

Yeah I think both DL and OL will be the strength next year. I also believe that they should have good depth at most positions. I heard they moved Bell down on the depth chart, I am sure that is to light a fire under him so he comes into the season with something to prove.

No, Bell is the starter, Dantonio just had some comments along the lines of no one's spot is safe and he wants everyone to earn it. Larry Caper is highly motivated to push for more carries though.

Honestly, we lost 3 starters and a backup off the O line in the 1st 2 games last season and all 4 were lost for the year, it's a wonder our O line held together as well as it did last year. Now we have all 3 of those starters back and the guys who took their places have a year of experience starting. We lost both of our starting tackles and our top 2 centers in the 1st 2 games last season and then we lost to Notre Dame playing 2nd and 3rd string guys, I thought it could be a tough tough season, but the backups developed and were playing great by the end of the year. Not a lot of teams could survive that and go 11-3. To the Michigan fans that are bound to read this, could you imagine if after 2 games last year Lewan, Molk, Hughye, and Molk's backup were all lost for the year? You guys still win 11 games? Hell, Joel Foreman was in crutches half the season and generally didn't practice all year, they just tried to get his knees ready for Saturdays.

Fans complained about our lack of running game last year, but it's a miracle we had one at all with what we lost before we even got going.

Last edited:
Yeah I think they patched up the OL pretty well. If someone goes down this year we are in good shape with depth and experience.

I'm very excited to see what Bell can do this year behind a stronger, more experienced O-line. We are a running team, and that should help Maxwell a lot in the early going. Of course, visions of 11 or more wins are going to still rest on his shoulders. We won't be playing with the lead all the time, and he'll still have to throw well when he's asked. He has the talent but we really haven't seen him make winning plays against adversity.

I'm very excited to see what Bell can do this year behind a stronger, more experienced O-line. We are a running team, and that should help Maxwell a lot in the early going. Of course, visions of 11 or more wins are going to still rest on his shoulders. We won't be playing with the lead all the time, and he'll still have to throw well when he's asked. He has the talent but we really haven't seen him make winning plays against adversity.

Maxwell reportedly has a better and more accurate arm than Cousins, the receivers have been saying he has more zip on it than Cousins did, but what you really like about him is his smarts and his confidence. He was Valedictorian of his high school class and is very very smart, he's also very confident and has a good sense of humor. All of that being said though, the QB position is all about being able to make the reads on the field while under duress. He's in the perfect spot to excel, but it's always a question with a new QB, no matter how talented, smart, and prepared he is.

Yeah, you never know about a QB until he gets in the game. I am sure he will do alright but I am hoping he plays great. MSU has a tough first game so he will be learning quick.

Yeah, you never know about a QB until he gets in the game. I am sure he will do alright but I am hoping he plays great. MSU has a tough first game so he will be learning quick.

Boise State is running a good program, but they lose 17 of their 22 starters including Moore. I have no doubt it will be a good game, but that team is completely rebuilding right now.

Agree, they are a good program but I am glad the Spartans are catching them this year rather than last.

Back