Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Does Kovacs start the first series?

MAIZEandBLUE09

I still say no - and then I will forever have a point over DeathRoh, or whatever his new name is.

He's one of those guys that isn't fast enough or big enough or ____________ enough, yet he keeps showing up and gets on the field. I think he starts.

Leadership and one of the few sure tacklers our secondary has to offer. Hes not a great athlete by any means, nor can he cover very well but he's probably a sure start during this transitional period. hoke will probably like his toughness and willingness to play up near the LOS to make a tackle.

I say no.. buuutt I do say they will use him a lot on the blitz scemes that way avery, gordon, floyd, woolfolk are less prone to injuries. Prob try to blend him in from here to there so opposing offenses can't recognize the blitz

As bad an athlete as Kovacs is, there's no question how important he is to the team. His leadership and work ethic should be mirrored by every player and it seems to me that Hoke is the kind of coach that values someone who may be less talented but works twice as hard.

I say he starts game 1. All that experience has to count for something. That said, his playing time is more than likely going to decrease over the course of the season as some of the younger guys get more and more reps.

This morning Sam Webb said Thomas Gordon is really pushing Kovacs...that can only mean good things.

He reminds me of C.J. Lee from 07-08 basketball season. Really hard worker and team captain but only made a few clutch plays.

I like Thomas Gordon. If Hoke & Co. decide he'll serve the team better than Kovacs then I'll be happy.

Not gonna happen though. Surely Hoke is smart enough to recognize the talent on his team and not start a lowly 3-star...not a lowly walk-on either for that matter...right M&B?

bphillips4gg said:
As bad an athlete as Kovacs is, there's no question how important he is to the team. His leadership and work ethic should be mirrored by every player and it seems to me that Hoke is the kind of coach that values someone who may be less talented but works twice as hard.

I say he starts game 1. All that experience has to count for something. That said, his playing time is more than likely going to decrease over the course of the season as some of the younger guys get more and more reps.

I agree with everything except calling him a "bad athlete." When I was in high school I started in varsity football, basketball, and baseball for two years and therefore consider myself a good athlete, but I never sniffed college athletics. The fact that he's a contributing player for Michigan means he would most likely run circles around me (and everyone else on this board for that matter).

magic8ball.jpg

I really don't know if he'll start or not, but I'll say that Kovacs presence on the field in any capacity other than special teams only shows how far our talent pool has fallen these last 3 years on defense under RR.

DR said:
I like Thomas Gordon. If Hoke & Co. decide he'll serve the team better than Kovacs then I'll be happy.

Not gonna happen though. Surely Hoke is smart enough to recognize the talent on his team and not start a lowly 3-star...not a lowly walk-on either for that matter...right M&B?

I'm fine with a 3 star starting over a walk-on.

Many of which were actually committed by Williams, but you've attributed to Kovacs. But we've been down this path before. Let's just see how it plays out on 9/3.

GoBlueInAtlanta said:
bphillips4gg said:

I agree with everything except calling him a "bad athlete." When I was in high school I started in varsity football, basketball, and baseball for two years and therefore consider myself a good athlete, but I never sniffed college athletics. The fact that he's a contributing player for Michigan means he would most likely run circles around me (and everyone else on this board for that matter).

I'm sure he means bad athlete COMPARED to a D1 college football player. I considered myself to be a very good athlete as well but I could definitely see that if I was in a D1 college football uni at safety, I would be perceived as an unathletic player.

Back