Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Verlander

beez

My god..100+ pitches, 97 mph fastball and the breaking ball he just struck mauer out on was disgusting. I know you guys do but I hope everyone just appreciates what this guy is doing. Too bad he couldnt get out of the 8th tonight.

Beez said:
My god..100+ pitches, 97 mph fastball and the breaking ball he just struck mauer out on was disgusting. I know you guys do but I hope everyone just appreciates what this guy is doing. Too bad he couldnt get out of the 8th tonight.

Beez, Verlander with 45 straight starts of 100 or more pitches,
One of the very few pitchers I have watched that throws harder the later in the game he pitches, 7th/8th/9th innings.
Nolan Ryan for sure, Koufax too,
Verlander is on a mission, you can see it and feel it watching his demeanor on the mound late in games.

He is quickly becoming the best pitcher in the game.

Beez said:
I'd like to see him get a few complete game wins where he throws less than 100.
laugh.png

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]
Beez said:

One of the very few pitchers I have watched that throws harder the later in the game he pitches, 7th/8th/9th innings.
Verlander is on a mission, you can see it and feel it watching his demeanor on the mound late in games.

KC the guy is a freakshow..I'm really not sure the casual fan realizes how impressive it is for a guy to throw THAt hard all game and still be doing it with accuracy 100 pitches later.

I heard that stat last night as well, just utterly impressive. He'll never quit on you, even his bad nights at times turn out to be quality starts/5-6 run inning eaters.... the guy is all you could ever ask for. Him and fatty from New York are true work horse aces that you just dont see much of because of injuries and/or the babying of pitchers arms these days. With all the money riding on these guys' shoulder, they arent even usually allowed to throw the way CC and JV do. I would htink if injuries havent bit him yet, he probably wont have much of a problem with them ever. (Outside of a freak play like Zumayas).

Thank god we picked him instead of Matt Bush or Homer Bailey.
You guys know who else went high in that draft?...................................wait for it...................David Purcey.

Beez said:
[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]

KC the guy is a freakshow..I'm really not sure the casual fan realizes how impressive it is for a guy to throw THAt hard all game and still be doing it with accuracy 100 pitches later.

I heard that stat last night as well, just utterly impressive. He'll never quit on you, even his bad nights at times turn out to be quality starts/5-6 run inning eaters.... the guy is all you could ever ask for. Him and fatty from New York are true work horse aces that you just dont see much of because of injuries and/or the babying of pitchers arms these days. With all the money riding on these guys' shoulder, they arent even usually allowed to throw the way CC and JV do. I would htink if injuries havent bit him yet, he probably wont have much of a problem with them ever. (Outside of a freak play like Zumayas).

Thank god we picked him instead of Matt Bush or Homer Bailey.
You guys know who else went high in that draft?...................................wait for it...................David Purcey.

didn't know that about purcey, and thank God san diego went cheap.

Something that Rod and mario said last night, and some of these type splits are harder to find,
Verlander innings 1 to 3 about 2.50's era, innings 4 to 6 about 2.50's era, innings 7-9 1.60's era that is also amazing.
One thing about Verlander and his late game strength comes from his 'trunk', hips and legs that pitchers need to push and drive off of. Clemens had that lower body, and so did Nolan Ryan who after a game was always on the stationary bike for an hour or two, maybe more. Plus it helps to be blessed with an arm like he has.

God I thought S.Drew was going to be the juice.

Beez said:
Hear ya go KC. Thought you might be interested in taking a peak. They have a lay out of the 1st round. I know Detroit was interested in Bush verlander and Bailey, meanwhile SD was intgerest in Bush n Verlander.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Major_League_Baseball_Draft

Thankyou, some good players in there with Butler, drew to a lesser degree, Niemann, and humber got to watch out for U of Rice pitchers.
Hughes is ok to good starting, he was excellent when they used him in their bullpen.

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]
Beez said:
Hear ya go KC. Thought you might be interested in taking a peak. They have a lay out of the 1st round. I know Detroit was interested in Bush verlander and Bailey, meanwhile SD was intgerest in Bush n Verlander.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Major_League_Baseball_Draft

Thankyou, some good players in there with Butler, drew to a lesser degree, Niemann, and humber got to watch out for U of Rice pitchers.
Hughes is ok to good starting, he was excellent when they used him in their bullpen.

Yeah he had a stretch where he was absolutely lights out.

Verlander is an absolute work horse. My dad and I were literally just talking about how he was blessed with that perfect pitcher sustainability like Nolan Ryan where the more pitches he throws the better he gets. Hes a freak......screw Lincecum.

You gotta do it. You need to see what a SP can do. Too many managers never let their starters get to 100 pitches. If you never let them when they need to, they won't be able to in a big game. I like pitchers who want to get the win without having to count on the bullpen.

Lincecum was pretty good in Dazed n Confused though.

Here's to the next 100 Ws coming faster than the first 100. He is truely an amazing pitcher.

haha wow.

I typed in Matt bush dead and there was a 20 year old named Matt Bush (Probably a ocmmon name) that came up as a victim. Maybe a mix up?

Also saw

heres an interesting SI article from 2009

In the history of baseball's unpredictable amateur draft, only two players picked first overall have ever retired without reaching the major leagues. Catcher Steve Chilcott, drafted No. 1 by the Mets in 1966, made it no farther than Class AAA Tidewater. Pitcher Brien Taylor, drafted No. 1 by the Yankees in 1991, stopped at Class AA Albany-Colonie.

They are success stories compared to Matt Bush.

Drafted first overall by the Padres in 2004, Bush has never appeared in a game beyond Class A. He started out as a shortstop, playing one full season and batting .221 with two home runs. Then he became a pitcher, working seven games before tearing ligaments in his elbow and requiring Tommy John surgery.

His career with the Padres began in the summer of '04, when he was arrested at a nightclub near the team's complex in Peoria, Ariz., for reportedly fighting with a bouncer who would not let him in. And his career with the Padres ended last week, when police in San Diego investigated allegations that he assaulted two lacrosse players at a local high school, throwing one and hitting another.

According to a witness quoted by the San Diego Union-Tribune, Bush left the scene in his Mercedes, but not before the injury prone shortstop-turned-pitcher-turned-suspect drove over a curb and yelled "I'm Matt (expletive) Bush."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/lee_jenkins/02/12/matt.bush/#ixzz1VIkWlMLx

Has Leyland announced his plans for Sunday? He has to go with Verlander, right?

Back