Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Sigh

biggunsbob

So freaking frustrating.. We create boatloads of chances on 3 PP's tonight and have nothing to show for it...This team needs something....A spark...Anything..

Might was well keep going... 6th spot is better then the 5th spot as long as San Jose keeps losing LOL

They definatley played better than the score indicated. This game made me nervous though, as the Wings were saying that this was an important game and they were nearly at full strength but still lost 4-1.

This team has the talent to win any playoff series, regardless of if they have home ice advantage or not, but they just need to stay healthy

I'm hoping they can squeak out 3 more points, but I can easily see them not winning another game this entire season, including postseason. They are seemingly in a funk that they are unsure how to get out from. The multiple injuries have had an effect on more than just physical health it appears.

Thankfully they have the playoffs already locked up...otherwise that streak would be in jeopardy too.

They sure are in a funk... You are right about that... We need to get bigger...Tougher... I guess I need to go watch some Probert fights on you-tube... I need to smile about something tonight..

They sure are in a funk... You are right about that... We need to get bigger...Tougher... I guess I need to go watch some Probert fights on you-tube... I need to smile about something tonight..

I have felt that this is the teams problem for a couple of years now. Look at the 2008 team had Downey (although he didn't play in the playoffs) McCarty, Drake, Draper and Helm. As well as having Ericsson (who did not play in the finals) Kronwall and Stuart. All of those players added grit. I don't think the team needs a strict enforcer role filled but more gritty players who will fore check aggressively and be able to win battles in the corner against bigger opponents. That is why the wings have had such trouble beating SJ because they have a lot of big forwards that play that way.

The current team has Helm, Abdelkader, Kronwall, Ericsson (although he has lost some of his mean streak that he used to have when he came into the league), Stuart (lost some of his mean streak as well), and Bertuzzi (also lost his mean streak we all know when). IMO we need to replace some of the type of players on the roster that we have an abundance, Cleary, Hudler, Miller, Emmerton, Nyquist, Mursak. with some tougher gritty type players like Dallas Drake was in 2008. This would give the team a more balanced lineup with skill mixed with grit rather than a pure skill lineup. Other than Cleary (12), Miller (13) and Hudler (21) none of those players on the list have more than 10 goals. (and yes i know that some of them have only played in a handful of games but other than Nyquist i don't really expect any of them in a full season to have more than 10-15 goals.) There are definitely players around the league and especially trapped in the AHL that could add more grit and fight a few times, win some battles in corners, fore check and put hits on other teams players to slow them down, score some garbage goals and add as many points as these guys do.

I am also aware that Cleary is injured which has slowed his production but the wings have an abundance of players that are fast and have a little scoring touch, very few players who play a gritty in your face style. The minor leagues do not hold many players of that style either other than Mitchell Callahan there isn't anyone that has a chance to eventually play for the big club with any grit. That is why i wanted the wings to add Paul Gaustad so badly at the deadline but Nashville got him and their additions have had a big effect on their team.

That's the end of my rant it seems i have had the same complaint for a few years now. hopefully i'm forced to eat crow and the Wings for a long playoff run...

I said right after Drake retired that the Wings were really going to miss him. And most of the responses I got were "meh." He and Kronwall hit anything that moved in those playoffs in '08. I'm not saying that any hockey player is "scared" of another guy, because that's surely not true, but back in that year teams definitely thought twice before going after our guys. Now teams know there will be no retribution and it is a free for all on our top forwards, hence the injuries to said guys in this most crucial time of the year the last few seasons. Glad I finally have someone who agrees with me, mabre.

yeah we need some bigger forwards who like to hit

Back