Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Ryan Leaf arrested for burglary and drug possession

manchild98

What a loser.

HELENA, Mont. -- Former NFL quarterback Ryan Leaf was arrested Friday in his Montana hometown of Great Falls on burglary and drug possession charges, police said.

The circumstances surrounding Leaf's arrest were not immediately clear. Great Falls Police Sgt. Dean Bennett, who confirmed Leaf's arrest, said Friday night that he had not seen a report detailing the allegations against the ex-football player.

"I've made some mistakes, and have no excuses," Leaf said Friday night in a statement. "I am using the tools I've learned to move forward rather than backwards, and will be open to talking about the details in the days to come. I am confident that there will be further understanding when the facts are revealed, and feel very blessed for all of the support, especially from my friends and family."

Leaf was booked on felony charges of burglary of a residence and criminal possession of dangerous drugs, plus a first-time charge of misdemeanor theft, Cascade County Detention Center Officer Robert Rivera said.

Leaf was freed on $76,000 bond and is scheduled to make an initial court appearance on Monday.

Leaf, a former standout quarterback for Washington State, was the No. 2 pick in the 1998 draft behind Peyton Manning. But Leaf flamed out as quarterback for the San Diego Chargers, gaining a reputation as one of the biggest busts in NFL history.

There is no phone listing for Leaf in Great Falls. A message left at his parents' house was not immediately returned Friday night. It was not clear whether he had hired an attorney.

Last year, Leaf had surgery to remove a benign tumor from his brain stem and later underwent additional radiation treatments.

On March 21, Leaf told an Associated Press reporter in an email exchange that he had struggled through treatments and had an MRI scheduled for the end of the month, but "I'm doing/feeling much better and am excited for the rest of 2012."

Friday's arrest also raises the question of whether his arrest means the 10-year probation plea agreement he negotiated with Texas prosecutors stemming from drug and burglary charges in 2009 will be revoked.

James Farren, the Randall County district attorney who negotiated the 2010 plea agreement, did not immediately return a text message seeking comment on Leaf's arrest in Montana.

In 2008, when Leaf was a quarterbacks coach for Division II West Texas A&M, he was accused of burglarizing a player's home. An investigation turned up that Leaf had obtained nearly 1,000 pain pills from area pharmacies in an eight-month span.

He resigned that year, was indicted in 2009 and the next year pleaded guilty to eight felony drug charges. Besides the 10 years probation, Leaf was fined $20,000.

Last year, he authored a book titled "596 Switch" -- the name of a passing play in the Washington State playbook -- that focused on the 1997 season when he led the Cougars to their first Rose Bowl in six decades.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7...-montana-again-gps-implicates-ex-nfl-qb-crime

He now has been arrested for the 2nd time in 3 days. He is a mess, he was caught in someones house and stole pain killers. He now is a suspect in several burglaries in the area, he could be facing a dozen felonies before it's over.

This is not even funny anymore, this is a man in crisis, he'll be getting the help he needs now while behind bars.

These are some serious felonies Leaf is racking up too. I mean he'll be facing 10 or 20+ years, but I'm sure a deal will get cut and he'll get treatment in prison, but as of now, there is a good chance he will be spending at least 4 or 5 years in the joint.

The guy is a train wreck, when I saw this latest article, I was like, yeah, I know he was arrested the other day, why is it on ESPN's front page still, then I realized this was his 2nd arrest in 3 days for burglary.

Ryan Leaf moved to state prison

"Former NFL quarterback Ryan Leaf is in prison after threatening a staffer and violating his therapeutic plan at a drug treatment center."

"Montana Department of Corrections documents released Thursday say Leaf told his roommate he wanted to drag a program staffer by his hair. Leaf also wrote that he wanted to throw the staffer against the wall and smash his glass into the man's head."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...treatment-center-taken-to-state-prison-011713

"A disciplinary hearing was held Jan. 9 in which a hearings officer found Leaf guilty of threatening another person or his possessions, according to a summary by the Department of Corrections."

"He also was found guilty of wearing clothes he was told not to wear and volunteering his services when directed not to, according to the summary.
Those may seem to be minor charges, but it represented the fourth therapeutic action plan given to Leaf to try to bring him into compliance, the report said."

"When Leaf was served papers for the hearing, he was "less than cooperative," according to the report. "He got angry, swore at staff, refused to sign off on the witness form and threw the hearing notification papers on the floor," the report said."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8854058/ryan-leaf-booted-treatment-center-prison

The words "incorrigible mental midget" come to mind when I read about Leaf. Opiates are a hell of an addictive "legal" drug...but Ryan's childish temper tantrums and threats to those in authority over him while knowing damn well that as a result, he would be kicked out of his alternative drug treatment program, and ordered to serve his full prison sentence means that he is most likely going to be a lifelong criminal recidivist, ala Art Schlichter.

Cocaine's a helluva drug. He and Todd Marinovich should hang out...plenty in common.

Last edited:
I just want to say that these are very weird charges.

"He also was found guilty of wearing clothes he was told not to wear and volunteering his services when directed not to, according to the summary.

Back