Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Nix busted for marijuana possession

Crap, I heard it was just DUI, now it was weed, izzo is going to come down hard and his future at MSU is now in jeopardy.

I imagine that there are some pre-set expectations on such an infraction?

He's been suspended from the team indefinitely. I doubt he is on the team in the fall.

He's been suspended from the team indefinitely. I doubt he is on the team in the fall.

Well, I'm for accountability and consideration in these types of things. Hope it's not just a one-and-done policy under Izzo.

Well, I'm for accountability and consideration in these types of things. Hope it's not just a one-and-done policy under Izzo.

He was already almost off the team in 2010, I'm sure there was more to that than just weight issues. Izzo keeps these things in house, but I bet he is gone. Sucks, and it hurts our team next year, but Izzo puts the program ahead of 1 season. He was going to get a chance to start at center next year with Payne playing the 4 next to him.

Nix also had an outside shot at the NBA if he had a good senior season, now that is gone totally if he is off the team. What an idiot.

Nix was seen on campus today running, and running, and running, with a trainer at his heels barking at him, he was doing sprints on Munn Field. This is a good sign as Izzo might be beginning his punishments that he has to do to stay on the team. I'd like to know all the details, but if Nix has a clean record with Izzo he might be able to play this year.

Nix really loves Izzo and Nix is one of the hardest workers Izzo has had, he recently said, "no one's had to sacrifice more than Derrick Nix has had to sacrifice to play basketball for the Spartans" The kid made a mistake, given that Izzo has dismissed Allen and Luscious from the team just last year, you know that he wont keep Nix around if he has done too much. I trust Izzo on this, and put it at about 60-40 for Derrick playing this year. Zero chance at being the captain now though.

Details of Nix arrest:

http://noise.typepad.com/hey_joe/2012/04/details-of-nixs-arrest.html

It appears he had a joint in the visor and was totally honest with the officer and said he'd smoked pot a few hours before. He made a mistake and has to face consequences, but the legal consequences will be minimal, community service and a suspended license, we'll see what Izzo does, unless there are other similar incidences that have been kept in house, I don't see how you throw a kid off the team for a joint. The officer noted Marijuana smell, but did not mention smoke, so it's not like he had a lit joint while driving.

I would strip him of a chance to be captain, run him half to death (not like Iowa or anything), and suspend him for the 1st 3-5 games of next season. The most alarming thing about the arrest is he was driving a 2011 Charger, what's a poor college athlete doing driving a newer car like that? I guess you can lease one for $150 a month, but still, I didn't drive a car that nice in college.

Last edited:
Press conference today with Izzo and Nix.

Nix is staying on the team, but under strict rules he must adhere to. Izzo read the riot act to the press for inaccurately reporting on the car and the situation, also asked them to stop calling Nix's mother.

Nix had the weed charge dropped and plead guilty a reduced charge of impaired driving this morning.

Back