Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Pryor took money from his "mentor"?

ercole747

SC reporting that Pryor (i think they said a lawyer for Pryor......I barely caught it, I was in the other room) admits taking money from his mentor for car payments, among other things. It was supposedly the same mentor that JT called after hearing about the FBI investigation........HOW IN THE HELL DOES O$U NOT GET JACK HAMMERED BY THE NCAA FOR JT'S CROOKED PROGRAM???

After an exhaustive and thorough investigation of what was it 2 weeks? I guess the NCAA investigators missed this.

Man, I hope Hoke has the team ready to beat these guys this year!
Go Blue!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6862197/terrelle-pryor-eligible-nfl-supplemental-draft

here's the link, here's the pertinent part of that link

Pryor had met confidentially in May with the NCAA and provided financial records in response to follow-up requests from those investigators. Pryor had acknowledged that confidant Ted Sarniak had provided him and his mother with cash after he enrolled at Ohio State over and beyond the memorabilia scandal that created the five-game suspension. These violations all took place before Jan. 15, the deadline for underclassmen to declare for the April draft, not after---

so supposedly, TP told the ncaa that Sarniak gave him money, probably before even his freshman season. He told them this in May. Then in June, OH* 'ruled' that TP was ineligible (even though he already left) because he didn't cooperate with the ncaa, when in fact, he did.

This is all part of the new allegations and totally unrelated to the cash for tatts scandal that the first notice of allegations covers. Remember, the first NoA only covers the tatts&memorabilia for cash scandal with the tattoo parlor/drug business. Anything that came out after this NoA could still be listed on a new NoA.

OH* is still under investigation...

Sarniak = Ed Martin.

The Fab Five documentary was pretty illuminating, I thought, as to why guys like Ed Martin become "boosters." Sounds like exactly the same thing.

I wonder if Pryor is the only one with a "Ted Sarniak," or if other ohio players had or have their own "Ted Sarniak."

I forget, did Martin have any preference for Michigan before "his kids" went there or no?

I thought there was a specific news item that came out a while ago that his mentor was cleared.

Red and Guilty said:
I forget, did Martin have any preference for Michigan before "his kids" went there or no?

I don't know, but Fisher was definitely feeding him perks after a while, and he definitely kept the talent heading our way. Plus Fisher hired the coach from whatever school that was (Detroit Southwestern?) as an assistant. I think there were probably a number of factors that motivated Ed Martin to steer kids to Michigan.

In sarniak's case, not sure exactly what he got out of the deal, or if he was an OSU fan/booster; maybe it was just some sort of "jersey chaser" thing. or maybe a cut of future earnings, tickets, benefits, etc.

I think being a fan is one thing, but spending money like that to hang around a sports team or athletes in general is pretty damn lame.

At least in Ed Martin's case, according to Jalen Rose, he seemed to view it as a charity project, since he gave money to all kids on the team regardless of talent. Of course... later the money laundering opportunity, courtside tickets, hotel rooms, etc. tend to make his motivation look a lot shadier.

Pretty sure there were a few players involved with Martin that went elsewhere, but from Webber on it seems like it was a UM thing.

MichChamp02 said:
Red and Guilty said:

I don't know, but Fisher was definitely feeding him perks after a while, and he definitely kept the talent heading our way. Plus Fisher hired the coach from whatever school that was (Detroit Southwestern?) as an assistant. I think there were probably a number of factors that motivated Ed Martin to steer kids to Michigan.

In sarniak's case, not sure exactly what he got out of the deal, or if he was an OSU fan/booster; maybe it was just some sort of "jersey chaser" thing. or maybe a cut of future earnings, tickets, benefits, etc.

I think being a fan is one thing, but spending money like that to hang around a sports team or athletes in general is pretty damn lame.

At least in Ed Martin's case, according to Jalen Rose, he seemed to view it as a charity project, since he gave money to all kids on the team regardless of talent. Of course... later the money laundering opportunity, courtside tickets, hotel rooms, etc. tend to make his motivation look a lot shadier.

Checking my memory here. Was it Perry Watson?

GoBlueInAtlanta said:
I thought there was a specific news item that came out a while ago that his mentor was cleared.
Ohio State successfully argued to the NCAA that Sarniak was not an Ohio State booster back in 2008. So what they cleared was his relationship with Ohio State, not with TP.

The other point was that Pryor supposedly told the NCAA about this in May which would have given plenty of time for the NCAA to take this into consideration for the Aug 12 hearing.

Ohio State ruled Pryor ineligible after his lawyer publicly stated that they would no longer cooperate in any investigation. Which, assuming this story is true, would be why the NCAA did not cover this on the 12th and likely be what the NCAA was referring to when they said they still had matters under investigation (The July 13 letter that Forde screwed up so bad).

There were a lot of allegations against Ohio State this summer. Some were unfortunately true, some were mostly false but built around a nugget of truth, some were just plain false, and some were just silly. I happen to believe TP was on the take. I don't fully believe the original ESPN story based off of their anonymous (Cough Antonio Henton's younger brother) source. There has been a lot of chatter that the central figure in that story doesn't even have the kind of money he was accused of giving to TP. This story about Sarniak seems much more believable.

Here is the quote from the article commenting on why Ohio State declared Pryor ineligible when they did:

"I have appreciated your willingness in the past to consent to lengthy interviews by the institution and the NCAA, and to provide certain financial records," Smith said in the letter. "I was disappointed to learn from your attorney that as of June 7, 2011, you have chosen not to interview [anymore] with the representatives of the NCAA and the Ohio State University.
So there was a point when the Pryor camp refused to continue cooperating.

I guess they were allowed to define booster pretty narrowly there...

if Sarniak was giving Pryor money before he attended college, he was definitely a "booster" in the normal usage of the term. I guess you can be a booster generally, but not a specific program booster, even if the player your boosting is at a specific program.

MichChamp02 said:
I guess they were allowed to define booster pretty narrowly there...

if Sarniak was giving Pryor money before he attended college, he was definitely a "booster" in the normal usage of the term. I guess you can be a booster generally, but not a specific program booster, even if the player your boosting is at a specific program.
I think, if anything comes of this story that is going to become a very important distinction.

silverbullet97 said:
GoBlueInAtlanta said:
Ohio State successfully argued to the NCAA that Sarniak was not an Ohio State booster back in 2008. So what they cleared was his relationship with Ohio State, not with TP.

The other point was that Pryor supposedly told the NCAA about this in May which would have given plenty of time for the NCAA to take this into consideration for the Aug 12 hearing.

Ohio State ruled Pryor ineligible after his lawyer publicly stated that they would no longer cooperate in any investigation. Which, assuming this story is true, would be why the NCAA did not cover this on the 12th and likely be what the NCAA was referring to when they said they still had matters under investigation (The July 13 letter that Forde screwed up so bad).

There were a lot of allegations against Ohio State this summer. Some were unfortunately true, some were mostly false but built around a nugget of truth, some were just plain false, and some were just silly. I happen to believe TP was on the take. I don't fully believe the original ESPN story based off of their anonymous (Cough Antonio Henton's younger brother) source. There has been a lot of chatter that the central figure in that story doesn't even have the kind of money he was accused of giving to TP. This story about Sarniak seems much more believable.

Thanks, Silver. I have to get used to not seeing the bullet icon next to your name!

Back