Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

My thoughts........

boogerlovejoy

FINALLY got to watch the Lions vs. Bengals game. Went to Baltimore for a buddies wedding this weekend....crazy time.

Just a couple of my thoughts from the game...

1. CJ and Stafford are going to be SCARY this year if they stay healthy. I know that's pretty general knowledge.....but that back shoulder throw showed the timing and accuracy you like to see in your QB and #1 WR.

2. Defense looked really fast. It was only the Bengals and only preseason, but I like the overall team speed......including the backups.

3. Teams are going to run right at Cliff Avril this year, and have a lot of success doing it. Cincinnati destroyed us running to the right. Avril gets swallowed up like semen at a XXX convention and the Lions will have to address that at some point.

4. Aaron Brown needs to make this team. He is probably more elusive than Best is and has decent hands. If he can't learn the playbook or blocking schemes then you have to let him go, but if he knows them AT ALL....he is electric. I'd rather have Brown than Harrison or Bell.

5. Derrick Williams can get open, just cant catch. He seems to have a good burst out of his cuts, but he can't catch crabs from a Vietnamese hooker. He's gone.

6. Stanton looked good.

7. Wish we had Jordan Shipley.....guy just gets open and catches the ball.

8. Wish we didn't have Brandon McDonald. If he has to see ANY kind of significant time on the field this year, we are in trouble.

9. Spivey was all over the field.....wish he would put on 15 lbs though.

We'll see what happens against Cleveland.....but so far an A+.
Go Lions.

I agree with many of your points except the Aaron Brown point. Dude has had a few years to prove it in the regular season and he hasnt done it against actual NFL talent. He is a preseason beast but a regular season dud. Maybe this year will be different.

#4 Aaron Brown is always a pre-season demon going against scrubs...He can't hold Best's jock.
#6 See #4.
#8 McDonald may be the nickleback this year, so I hope you're wrong.
#9 Spievey took off 15 pounds of pure boiler this summer.

Tend to agree on the other points, with Cliff Avril Lavigne, he improved against the run last year so I'll hope for the best.

Yea Im also glad Spievey slimmed down he looks a lot faster out there. Some of which comes from him actually learning the position.

Dont misunderstand me.....I dont think Brown is ever going to be more than a role player.....but he is electric with the ball in his hands....preseason or not.

He probably doesn't get a lot of regular season touches because Schwartz hates guys that don't know the playbook/blocking schemes.....i.e. Derrick Williams.....but they have kept a roster spot for him for 2 years for a reason.

I hope Brown gets his head out of his ASS because he can contribute to this team in the passing game.

Like I said, I'd rather have him than Bell or Harrison any day.

I would rather have Leshoure...lol. But Harrison and Bell are proven NFL players that have proved it in real games and Brown never has.

boogerlovejoy said:
Dont misunderstand me.....I dont think Brown is ever going to be more than a role player.....but he is electric with the ball in his hands....preseason or not.

He probably doesn't get a lot of regular season touches because Schwartz hates guys that don't know the playbook/blocking schemes.....i.e. Derrick Williams.....but they have kept a roster spot for him for 2 years for a reason.

I hope Brown gets his head out of his ASS because he can contribute to this team in the passing game.

For Brown to get more touches he needs to do something with the touches he does get. He's been brutal in the regular season.

Has a 4.3 YPC avg in his career. Not horrible. Looked good on that WR screen they threw to him against Cleveland 2 years ago (the Stafford 5 TD game).

Again people, don't misunderstand what I'm saying. Im not calling for him to be a starter....just said he is electric with the ball in his hands and could contribute to the passing game A LOT more than Harrison or Bell could.

boogerlovejoy said:
Has a 4.3 YPC avg in his career. Not horrible. Looked good on that WR screen they threw to him against Cleveland 2 years ago (the Stafford 5 TD game).

Again people, don't misunderstand what I'm saying. Im not calling for him to be a starter....just said he is electric with the ball in his hands and could contribute to the passing game A LOT more than Harrison or Bell could.

He stinks. Just kidding :) They need someone to run the ball, not that Harrison and Bell can do that buy Brown is more of a once in awhile slot receiver or quick hand off to the outside. From what I see he takes horrible routes once he gets the ball, can't find the hole. That's my take.

Browns problems are between his ears...

he misses blocks , and can't digest a playbook...if LeShoure hadn't of gone down Brown was cut....

I think you are correct on #3 and that is why I think Lawrence Jackson will take his starting spots by the mid-point of the season.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
boogerlovejoy said:

He stinks. Just kidding :) They need someone to run the ball, not that Harrison and Bell can do that buy Brown is more of a once in awhile slot receiver or quick hand off to the outside. From what I see he takes horrible routes once he gets the ball, can't find the hole. That's my take.

I agree with his running style.

Here's my thought. Once Leshore went down Linehan is going to adjust his offense. He doesn't have the power back now, so it's my thought (just my opinion) that we are going to see a lot more of what we saw in the Cincinnati preseason game....quick dump downs to the RB's....trying to get them in space....and at the same time keeping Stafford on his feet. Aaron Brown could be very good at that paticular facet of the offense.

My only point is this....I hope he makes the team because he could contribute to this offense in that way. He could even see the occasional draw, screen or sweep and take some of the load off Best....because without Leshore, Best is going to see more touches than what the coaching staff had planned on when they drafted Leshore.

I want a RB that contributes to the run game. Brown is Bests backup but we need a big back that can get the tough yards, hopefully Bell or Harrison can fill that role.

schles192 said:
I want a RB that contributes to the run game. Brown is Bests backup but we need a big back that can get the tough yards, hopefully Bell or Harrison can fill that role.

Mo Morris

boogerlovejoy said:
schles192 said:

Mo Morris

What about him? He's old does nothing great but can do a little of everything. Guys a band aid to stop the bleeding when someone gets banged up.

You wanted a RB that could get the tough yards....Mo Morris is going to make this team...so Bell and Harrison will be fighting for Brown's spot.

IMO Aaron Brown is a camp body at this point... Stefan Logan will fill in for those reps that A.Brown would get as a RB. Which makes room for MoMo,Bell and Harrison to make the team.

boogerlovejoy said:

Bump.....because I think he needs to make this team. I know he's getting more reps tonight because Best is out....but I think you can see he adds explosiveness to the passing game.

Back