Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Darren Helm taken to hospital

biggunsbob

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Detroit center Darren Helm was cut on the right arm in the first period against Nashville on Thursday night, and didn't return the Red Wings' 3-2 loss in Game 1 of the first-round playoff series.

Helm played 3:08 in the first period with six shifts before tossing his glove to the ice and speeding to the locker room during a penalty kill against Nashville.

Detroit coach Mike Babcock said Helm was taken to a hospital for surgery.

The center missed the final 10 games of the regular season after spraining the medial collateral ligament in his left knee March 17 in a collision with San Jose's Dominic Moore. Helm had nine goals and 17 assists in 69 games this season.

Helm skated Wednesday morning and said he felt ready to play.

"I hope I can be out there and make a difference," he said after Detroit's morning skate.

Nashville scratched defenseman Hal Gill against Detroit because of a lower-body injury. Gill blocked a shot by Sheldon Souray of Dallas last week.

Looks like Helm will be back on the DL... What a fluke play I hope the skate did not cut to deep..

Last edited:
Helm had surgery to repair lacerated tendons. His playoffs. Done.

I wouldnt be surpised to see him miss all of next year as well..or atleast the vast majority of it. Mike Modano had the same injury last year and he was out nearly the entire season. Granted helm is younger than Modano, but when it comes to a lacerated tendon, I dont think age plays much of a factor.

Its a super bad break for Helm..I just hope he can heal quickly and help us next season.

Back