Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Martinez at First

spockmaster

I think we should try Martinez at first and Cabrera as DH on a long-term basis. Not only is VMart a better defensive first baseman than Cabrera, but this solves the problem of needing to swap VMart to catcher if Avila gets injured and losing the DH as a result (we can put someone else in at first to replace vmart, like kelly). The only concern i would have is cabrera's hitting as a DH. its a small sample size, but in 25 games as a DH he only has a .670 OPS. i wouldnt try it now, but its something to think about in the offseason and in spring training.

No thanks. They are both batting well why mess that up. And I don't see mart as a better 1B.

And. I don't like seeing young guys like cabby at DH permanently.

Miggy is already fat...can you imagine how fat he would get eating snickers bars and drinking Scotch on the bench?

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]No thanks. They are both batting well why mess that up. And I don't see mart as a better 1B.
thats why i said to try it out in spring training or something, i wouldnt mess with either of them right now in a race for the division title.

i checked the stats on defense for them at 1B. vmart is only about average, but since cabrera is definitely below average, its still an upgrade. the biggest difference between the two is that vmart has more range. if we get a huge defensive upgrade at 2nd in the offseason (say, jamie carroll or someone similar) then i probably wouldn't end up switching them, but its definitely something to think about if we dont upgrade or get a defensively suspect 2nd baseman.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]And. I don't like seeing young guys like cabby at DH permanently.
why not? cabrera is solidly below average no matter where he plays in the field but is probably the best hitter in the AL. its not like hamilton who is good in the OF or pujols who is a great first baseman. cabrera is just not a good fielder and since our defense is a huge issue, we might as well try to fix it any way we can.

tomdalton22 said:
Miggy is already fat...can you imagine how fat he would get eating snickers bars and drinking Scotch on the bench?
im sorry, you're an idiot.

I'm old school :) Don't play the young guys at DH. They have to move and do something else besides bat. But I'm also not sure miggy is below average at first. Have you seen some of the 1B around.

tomdalton22 said:
Spockmaster said:
and proud of it.
Actually, I did like the next generation series back when it was on.....I just don't advertise it!
i do because people who would make fun of me for it arent worth my time, and my friends love my nerdiness.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]I'm old school :) Don't play the young guys at DH. They have to move and do something else besides bat. But I'm also not sure miggy is below average at first. Have you seen some of the 1B around.
i have, mostly cause first is a place where bad defense is generally forgiven for offensive production. i was going off of UZR among other things since both have a large enough sample size for it to be a fairly good measure of performance.

i mostly agree with the young-guy-at-DH point, but i still think it would be worth the defensive upgrade as long as cabrera kept hitting at DH.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind VMart getting a few more starts at 1st. I don't think it would mess with a guys bat to switch between first and DH, but maybe it would.

I can't get past the idea that Victor is better at first. I don't think he is at all. Either way, they are both below average in the field.

Victor has more of an injury history than Cabrera, so you have to calculate the greater possibility of Martinez getting hurt with more time in the field.

I guess I don't think that's a situation that needs to be tinkered with.

I just wouldnt mess with it... I would like to see Avila worked out at 3rd more in the off season, Cabrera staying at 1st, victor catching/dh'ing and maybe a DH/OF brought in. As a life long baseball player I can really appreciate how different/hard it is to become a DH. Its an incredibly different mind set and just isnt the same. You feel less part of the team at times, you feel less energized, when you make an out it really can bring you down because you get to sit and think about it for so long, you dont get a chance to redeem yourself in the field or even just go out there and have a little fun...its just not for everyone. You have to be a special hitter (I dont mean just talented) to play the DH role and play it well. I would love to see a compilation of
3B Betemit/Avila
1B Cabrera
C Avila/Vmart
DH FA/Vmart
OF Young/Jackson/Boesch/FA

I don't want Avila at 3B. Just let him get better at the C position.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]I don't want Avila at 3B. Just let him get better at the C position.

I think it could be good for him...especially with the beating he's been taking back there. I agree I would like to see him progress as a catcher but I think it's in his and the teams best interest for him to learn a new position. 3B seems like that likely position for him. He would still catch a ton of games but not as many, and he would be able to play a few days in a row at 3rd.

Beez said:
I just wouldnt mess with it... I would like to see Avila worked out at 3rd more in the off season, Cabrera staying at 1st, victor catching/dh'ing and maybe a DH/OF brought in. As a life long baseball player I can really appreciate how different/hard it is to become a DH. Its an incredibly different mind set and just isnt the same. You feel less part of the team at times, you feel less energized, when you make an out it really can bring you down because you get to sit and think about it for so long, you dont get a chance to redeem yourself in the field or even just go out there and have a little fun...its just not for everyone. You have to be a special hitter (I dont mean just talented) to play the DH role and play it well. I would love to see a compilation of
3B Betemit/Avila
1B Cabrera
C Avila/Vmart
DH FA/Vmart
OF Young/Jackson/Boesch/FA

I'd throw SS-Peralta/Santiago in the mix. It would be a good alternative to some of the full days off that he hands out.

Back