Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes

deathroh

I used to love going up there and camping with my Dad and Brother. I remember almost shitting my pants (not literally) when I was trying to climb up the big hill (more like a cliff) that goes down to Lake Michigan when I was faced with a section of rock hard sand and a near completely vertical climb. Great memories though, for sure.

It was voted the most beautiful place in American in a poll from 'Good Morning America'.

http://www.freep.com/article/20110817/NE....less-pub licity

Seems like a stretch, but that's pretty cool.

DR said:
I remember almost shitting my pants (not literally) ...

yeah, nice metaphor. Like you, when I discuss beautiful places, thoughts of shitting myself often come to mind.

MichChamp02 said:
DR said:
I remember almost shitting my pants (not literally) ...

yeah, nice metaphor. Like you, when I discuss beautiful places, thoughts of shitting myself often come to mind.

Do you have irritable bowel syndrome, or have you also run into frightening situations in beautiful places?

When we moved back to Michigan in 2004 we went to the dunes for a day..Well we camped south of the dunes... Camping in Michigan is not the same as camping out in California. More humidity and Bugs but the Sleeping bear dunes are something special.

I spent my out-of-school summers nearby the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore from the mid-60s through the mid-70s, at our family cottage home in a small resort town ~10 miles SW of there named Frankfort, that is located on a bay and Lake Michigan. There was a "dune" along the coastline that was so vertically steep and high that it made climbing ANY of the Sleeping Bear dunes seem like a walk in the park in comparison..plus it had poison ivy vines and plants growing close by. I aughtta know, since it was a very RARE summer that I didn't get at least one case of the itchies from inadvertently contacting the urushiol oil, even as a result from just touching the roots of the poison ivy with my toes and fingers, that were growing and spreading underneath the sand while climbing up to the top of that dune (the townies who lived up there called it the "sugar bowl" dune).

DR said:
I used to love going up there and camping with my Dad and Brother. I remember almost shitting my pants (not literally) when I was trying to climb up the big hill (more like a cliff) that goes down to Lake Michigan when I was faced with a section of rock hard sand and a near completely vertical climb. Great memories though, for sure.

It was voted the most beautiful place in American in a poll from 'Good Morning America'.

http://www.freep.com/article/20110817/NE....less-pub licity

Seems like a stretch, but that's pretty cool.

Not sure when you were there, I had a brown lifted 4x4 Gremlin I used to take there all of the time between 93-96.

Back