Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Illitch, DD, and Leyland

tycobb420

Here is a question...how much of an influence is Leyland on the roster? Inge was not released b.c of Illitch. Last year, DD said he wanted to go young and then signed Valverde and Damon seemingly contradicting himself. Just wondering how much of the roster is a result of Illitch interference. Then, when DD does make a move, Leyland does what he feels like anyway (see Betemit).

Is there a 3-way conflict of vision here (or maybe a 2-way with Illitch and Leyland on one side and DD on the other)?

I am not trying to make excuses for anyone, but am curious what people think.

Honestly I don't think illitch is a meddling owner. Other than the Damon rumors I've never heard of any other instances.

Yeah, I see Illitch as a fan, for the most part.

I think DD, Leyland and other staff meet all the time to discuss roster moves and players. There may be some disagreements, but I doubt the contracts would have been extended if there was real problems in their relationship.

The evidence is opaque. We know he blackballed Sparky even though nothing has come out. We know he loved Higgy and was behind the big contract. What really piqued my interest was DD's comments about wanting to go young and then doing a 180.

tycobb420 said:
The evidence is opaque. We know he blackballed Sparky even though nothing has come out. We know he loved Higgy and was behind the big contract. What really piqued my interest was DD's comments about wanting to go young and then doing a 180.

I don't know if trying to get younger overall means you can't sign a veteran. Signing a guy like Damon for a year doesn't impact a long range plan that much.

Guys like Polanco, Everett, Thames, Laird have all been replaced by younger guys, for better or worse.

JimRice said:
[quote author=tycobb420 board=tigertalk thread=567 post=13184 time=1313699854]The evidence is opaque. We know he blackballed Sparky even though nothing has come out. We know he loved Higgy and was behind the big contract. What really piqued my interest was DD's comments about wanting to go young and then doing a 180.

I don't know if trying to get younger overall means you can't sign a veteran. Signing a guy like Damon for a year doesn't impact a long range plan that much.

Guys like Polanco, Everett, Thames, Laird have all been replaced by younger guys, for better or worse.[/quot

True. But then there's Maggs and Inge, etc

Illitch made it common practice to not eat contracts after the release of Damon Easley. He did give in on the Sheffield and Robertson contracts in the finals years. But for the most part he has stuck to his guns.

Thats probably why Inge and Maggs have stayed this year.

Back