Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

6 Spartans drafted

johnny2x2x

2nd Jerel Worthy to Green Bay
4th Kirk Cousins to Washington
4th Keyshawn Martin to Houston
6th Trenton Robinson to San Fran
6th BJ Cunningham to Miami
7th Edwin Baker to San Diego

All in all a couple players slipped, but most of the players picked are going to great situations for them. Even Baker is going to an ideal team for him to make, the Chargers need RBs with the injury prone Matthews starting. He has an excellent chance to make that team. Cousins will be stuck behind RGIII unless RGIII is a bust, kind of a crappy situation as there is no way for him to beat out a pick so high, Washington is forced to start RGIII.

Brian Lincecum and Keith Nichol will have chances via free agency to make an NFL roster, Lincecum is a decent enough blocker to maybe make a team, Nichol's chance is on special teams IMO.

Not sure if any school had more than 6, but MSU, Alabama, Wisconsin, Boise State and Miami I think had 6 each. Not a bad draft for the Spartans.

Last edited:
Brent Celek signed with the Niners, Brian Lincecum with the Jets, and Todd Anderson with the Rams. No word on Keith Nichol yet.

This was a good draft for MSU, there was some good talent on last years team. When was the last time they had 6 guys drafted? I think we will see more classes like this in the future.

Very surprised and happy that Cunningham slid to Miami in the 6th round.

I knew he would get picked around there but I didn't think Martin would go before him. I am assuming the Texans took Martin for his quickness and ability to return punts.

Last I looked there was talk of him being a 3rd rounder, but that might have been before the combine.

Yeah, I'm sure the special teams aspect is what bumped Martin up.

Martin ran a 4.35 on some scouts watches, he's got some versatility and he moved well ahead of Cunningham with the post season workouts. Cunningham ran a 4.47 at the pro day, but he was timed at 4.59 at the combine, this hurt him.

Cunningham is big and strong and has great hands, but he struggled to get open against elite corners, but I think he's going to a good situation in Miami, they need receivers badly and he will get a chance to play early.

I think Cunningham is the better WR and Martin is faster which is why he was drafted earlier.

Yeah, there were quite a few Spartans worth taking a flyer on this year.

Back