Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Yoopers need to STFU

Michchamp

apparently they're bitching about taxes again, and they started talking about seceding from Michigan. LINK.

those weird northern freaks need to realize they're only 3% of the state population, and that's what happens in a democracy: you don't always get your way.

A person complains and call for secession. At 1st, the 2nd guy thought he was kidding...then he started to think maybe the 1st guy was serious. A 3rd person says it's interesting to see smiles when someone mentions secession.

Sounds like a real movement.

I'm glad someone is talking about this. When they get 10 names on a petition we should think about calling in the national guard to restore order.

A democracy is three wolves and two sheep voting on what's for dinner. Why (MC) is advocating the stifling of dissent is a little ironic but not surprising. He would silence all voices not in alignment with his own. His adherance to a status quo at his young age is the behavoir of someone typically much older and set in thier ways. Let the people speak their minds; we all may learn something.

A democracy is three wolves and two sheep voting on what's for dinner. Why (MC) is advocating the stifling of dissent is a little ironic but not surprising. He would silence all voices not in alignment with his own. His adherance to a status quo at his young age is the behavoir of someone typically much older and set in thier ways. Let the people speak their minds; we all may learn something.

As much as people that don't understand the electoral college criticize it, the idea to weight our representatives in a way that benefits rural areas is pretty brilliant. For all the talk of Jesusland and the United States of Canada, party voting actually correlates more strongly with population density. In "jesusland" a smaller fraction of people live in cities and in "the US of C" a higher percentage of people live in cities. And of course this makes total sense. people with property and distance between them and their neighbors are going to have more of a tendency to see the value in politics that are presented as good for individuals while people that share walls with their neighbors are going to see value in politics presented in a way that reflects the importance of managing their more collective dependence on each other.

In spite of the massive shift to more urban lifestyles, the weighting has held and elections are still close. It's a very clever system.

Last edited:
Opponents of the EC are opponents of the very ideals that founded this republic.

That's a pretty wide paintbrush you're using there Byco.

I never said that such people with such a viewpoint were aware of their mistake. Take away the EC and people can kiss representative government good-bye. Perhaps it's too late anyway, so why not let a dozen or so counties elect a president?

I never said that such people with such a viewpoint were aware of their mistake. Take away the EC and people can kiss representative government good-bye. Perhaps it's too late anyway, so why not let a dozen or so counties elect a president?

No, you're still using a blanket statement. It would be like if I said all Catholics were enablers of the Priests who committed sexual assault against minor members of their parishes. It would be wrong, and you would call me on it.

And don't give me that bullshit about representative government, because all electorates in a state are awarded to the winner, so instead of a dozen or so counties, it's a dozen or so states that elect a president.

I'm not for taking away the EC, but I would like to see it overhauled.

No, you're still using a blanket statement. It would be like if I said all Catholics were enablers of the Priests who committed sexual assault against minor members of their parishes. It would be wrong, and you would call me on it.

And don't give me that bullshit about representative government, because all electorates in a state are awarded to the winner, so instead of a dozen or so counties, it's a dozen or so states that elect a president.

I'm not for taking away the EC, but I would like to see it overhauled.

The analogy is not making sense to me. Look at at electoral map of the 2008 presidential election to see the concentration of the voting.

Back