Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Meteor Showers.

biggunsbob

Sorry but I missed posting the dates for this August Perseids Meteor Shower.. (did anybody see any)..

When we lived our in Vegas from 1987-2004 a few years i would go out in the desert by my house and watch them..I only did it around 5 times but each time it was a lot of fun.. My lowest count was around 25 and my highest was over 100 for a few hours.. Here in Michigan I have not been as lucky probably due to location but I have still seen a few.. Sadness that I missed trying this year.

But here are the other dates for 2011 Meteor showers.

http://stardate.org/nightsky/meteors

Nice post. I almost always forget to check the dates unless somebody reminds me. Seeing a meteor shower can be super chill and incredible. A nice peaceful night looking up at the beautiful sky....it's great stuff.

I know it's a bit off topic, but if any of you have smart phones download Google sky. It's absolutely amazing! You take your phone and move it around and it basically shows a map of space. I live in an area that blocks out most of the stars, but if I do see one, I'll turn on Google Sky. The other night there was a really bright "star" so I turned it on and scanned the sky. When I put the phone over the star, I was shocked to learn that the star was actually Jupiter!

[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]I know it's a bit off topic, but if any of you have smart phones download Google sky. It's absolutely amazing! You take your phone and move it around and it basically shows a map of space. I live in an area that blocks out most of the stars, but if I do see one, I'll turn on Google Sky. The other night there was a really bright "star" so I turned it on and scanned the sky. When I put the phone over the star, I was shocked to learn that the star was actually Jupiter!

That is so cool... I need a tricorder like that.
When my huge 15X70 Binoculars where not broke I could pull the four big moons of Jupiter.. Now they were small but it still was pretty neat..

jmakula87 said:
Nice post. I almost always forget to check the dates unless somebody reminds me. Seeing a meteor shower can be super chill and incredible. A nice peaceful night looking up at the beautiful sky....it's great stuff.

Thanks..
My daughter who is now 16 remembers when she was little and i took here out to see the Perseid and we saw a bunch.. We also just had some luck in 2010 at Silver lake Dunes on a nice clear night.. We saw about 5-10 in short time... But the meteor shows can be fantastic if you hit it right..

[color=#551A8B said:
Rich what? Richmond![/color]].....

You have to try them... Take some drinks and a lawn chair and take a peek.. Nothing like a streak of light across the sky....

http://www.meteoritemen.com/

I like the TV show they have on the science channel. This to guys have traveled all over the world searching for outer space treasure and have made some really big scores. Some of meteorites are worth big dollars..

Back