Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Practice observations - from Rivals

Red and Guilty said:
one observer we spoke to cautioned Michigan fans to lower their expectations significantly.

Here we go again...

lol, well here's how I look at it - we aren't going to be worse than last year. We can only be better. And since RR is not coaching, I might find certain struggles easier to accept. But no matter what people say, I still think we'll look nothing like last year - and our offense still seems to be good. All we need is our defense to be average at this point.

No one looked comfortable last year. Someone mentioned this yesterday, and I always wondered about it. Whenever the team did something good like get a pick, big play, whatever, I never saw the guys on the sidelines jumping around like they used to. Maybe it's one of those small things I picked up on, but I didn't see the same energy as I hope to see now.

Red and Guilty said:
one observer we spoke to cautioned Michigan fans to lower their expectations significantly.

Here we go again...

yeah, I'm guessing the writer felt a need to say that because of how the prior few years went. he might be one of those people that felt that the fans shared some of the blame for the failures in 2008-2010 because they contributed to the caustic environment.

Hoke isn't going to have the same problem dealing with the pressure to win that RichRod did. The fans didn't create anything; the pressure to win is going to be there regardless of what the fans say, because we're Michigan. Thus far, Hoke has demonstrated he can handle the press, the fans, etc., without cracking, blaming other people, and the players, like RR did. Even before we went 3-9, RR already seemed uncomfortable & resentful of the scrutiny he was under. His answers to the "Michigan Man" questions, the intensity of the rivalries, etc. were almost cringe inducing. Hoke hasn't struggled with this at all; he looks comfortable in the role.

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
Red and Guilty said:
Here we go again...

lol, well here's how I look at it - we aren't going to be worse than last year. We can only be better. And since RR is not coaching, I might find certain struggles easier to accept. But no matter what people say, I still think we'll look nothing like last year - and our offense still seems to be good. All we need is our defense to be average at this point.

No RR = Actual coaching adjustments during the game. Let's see, ways not to give up 65 points...check!

RR's idea of an adjustment: screaming at the kid to ruin his confidence, then benching him after another mistake.

MichChamp02 said:
RR's idea of an adjustment: screaming at the kid to ruin his confidence, then benching him after another mistake.

Tate Forcier pisses his pants everytime someone says Rich Rod.
Wonder if he's regretting his transfer choice right about now. lol

Beez said:
MichChamp02 said:

Tate Forcier pisses his pants everytime someone says Rich Rod.
Wonder if he's regretting his transfer choice right about now. lol

I also think it had a lot to do with the kickers sucking so much. Along with the pressure of kicking in front of 110,000 people all waiting for you to mess up - you have your coach who's going to chew your face off and bench you for missing. Not good. Watch, Gibbons is going to be awesome this year lol.

MichChamp02 said:
Red and Guilty said:
Here we go again...

yeah, I'm guessing the writer felt a need to say that because of how the prior few years went. he might be one of those people that felt that the fans shared some of the blame for the failures in 2008-2010 because they contributed to the caustic environment.

Hoke isn't going to have the same problem dealing with the pressure to win that RichRod did. The fans didn't create anything; the pressure to win is going to be there regardless of what the fans say, because we're Michigan. Thus far, Hoke has demonstrated he can handle the press, the fans, etc., without cracking, blaming other people, and the players, like RR did. Even before we went 3-9, RR already seemed uncomfortable & resentful of the scrutiny he was under. His answers to the "Michigan Man" questions, the intensity of the rivalries, etc. were almost cringe inducing. Hoke hasn't struggled with this at all; he looks comfortable in the role.

But...he said he knew about rivalry. Michigan has important rivalries just like they have at WVU.

Nice to read some practice notes. Also, it's a great feeling knowing that it won't be deleted by the moderators.

MichChamp02 said:

Agreed.

Thanks for posting this M&B.

Who knows, maybe ESPN will buy out this board and can make it more robust.

dubbsco said:
Who knows, maybe ESPN will buy out this board and can make it more robust.

We can only hope.

Regarding the OP - I'll take all the info I can get at this point. Down here we only hear SEC & ACC crap.

ESPN may offer Monster MILLIONS to take over the board...

the question is: Will he sellout???

Back