Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

No Love For Detroit v Cleveland?

tinselwolverine

It's the tightest "mano a mano" challenge for the playoffs going this weekend, but no national television either with Fox on Saturday, nor ESPN Sunday night.

Detroit had a couple national games last month...probably filled their quota.

Also, I believe these things are scheduled pretty far in advance. This probably didn't exactly stand out as a big series.

DR said:

Also, I believe these things are scheduled pretty far in advance. This probably didn't exactly stand out as a big series.

Actually I think ESPN schedules the Sunday games within a two week time frame; here (aren't you glad you taught me how to do this?) is the schedule for Sunday, September 4th, two weeks out - no Sunday Night game scheduled as of yet.

While Chicago v St. Louis - the game scheduled for this weekend on Sunday - it has no playoff implications at all, and two weeks ago, Detroit v Cleveland looked like it would have had much greater implications for this weekend - which it does.

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]
DR said:

Actually I think ESPN schedules the Sunday games within a two week time frame; here (aren't you glad you taught me how to do this?) is the schedule for Sunday, September 4th, two weeks out - no Sunday Night game scheduled as of yet.

While Chicago v St. Louis - the game scheduled for this weekend on Sunday - it has no playoff implications at all, and two weeks ago, Detroit v Cleveland looked like it would have had much greater implications for this weekend - which it does.

I'm pretty sure Detroit-Cleveland wouldn't be an option because they play at 1pm, and I don't think they usually mess with start times. You're probably right, ESPN can pick and choose the matchups, but likely only among those scheduled for evening games. Same with Saturday games on FOX, which start at 4.

Quality use of the link thingy though...I'm proud to have helped.

I'm pretty sure Detroit-Cleveland wouldn't be an option because they play at 1pm, and I don't think they usually mess with start times. You're probably right, ESPN can pick and choose the matchups, but likely only among those scheduled for evening games. Same with Saturday games on FOX, which start at 4.

You are right - they usually don't mess with start times, but...they can and do when it makes sense; i.e., financially with regard to televising.

I'm looking at this one of four Dodger tickets that I won in a radio contest, and on the back in teeny tiny print it states SCHEDULE SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE - I think pretty much all tickets have that disclaimer...

If you look at the September 4 sceduile, there currently are no evening games scheduled (there are a few West coast games that start around 7 pm EDST); nothing right now in the 8 pm EDST start time, which is always the start time for Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN.

Anyway, no Tigers on ESPN this Sunday.

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]

You are right - they usually don't mess with start times, but...they can and do when it makes sense; i.e., financially with regard to televising.

I'm looking at this one of four Dodger tickets that I won in a radio contest, and on the back in teeny tiny print it states SCHEDULE SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE - I think pretty much all tickets have that disclaimer...

I wonder if they would have been inclined to do so if it was Verlander vs Jiminez on Sunday instead of Porcello.

Its because most people not from Michigan, don't care at all about the Tigers. And no one cares about Cleveland.

DR said:

Our next 3 Saturday games after this weeks are all on Fox

We also had 3 Saturdays in a row in July.

The Tigers are getting more national games this year then I have seen in ages.

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]Tigers September 4 game vs. whitesox starting time changed from 1 to 8PM and on espn2.
http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20110819&content_id=23431146&vkey=pr_det&fext=.jsp&c_id=det
Tigers to be Featured on ESPN Sunday Night Baseball on Sunday, September 4.
Game Time Moved From 1:05 p.m. to 8:09 p.m.
Press Release from the Tigers official site

not the indians but as long as Tigers win on espn we're happy.

Hooray!! My Dad's 64th birthday. Maybe he'll watch with me over Skype...

Back