Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Relegated and Leagues Question

TheVictors

Been watching British Prem League this season and have found I will watch a soccer game over the NBA but what does it mean for Wolverton to be Relegated and for QPR to be close...and do the top teams go on to a European League that continues play?

The bottom 3 teams are relegated to the lower division. The top 2 from the lower division take their place along with the winner of a playoff of teams 3-6 in the lower division.

In the EPL the top 3 teams move on to the champion's league next year (not continuous) and the 4th place EPL team enters into a champions league playoff. The 5th place team goes to the UEFA Europe League (and I think 6, 7 may qualify some how).

That's along the lines of what I thought ... that relegated meant sent to a lower league and that the MAN CITY, MAN U, ARSENAL, etc would advance to play in a European League, having come out of the EPL.

Thanks, Cheeno -- next question is whether or not players play on multiple clubs simultaneously? I recognize more than a few EPL players from World Cup matches (most from England roster) and that makes sense, to play for the national team. But is the Chelsea team playing Munich a different roster/club from the Chelsea team that is 5th in the EPL standings?

Sad for me... Blackburn was relegated today. Wolverhampton Wanderers were relegated at least a month ago. The last team to be relegated will either be QPR or Bolton and that will be determined on the last weekend of the season next week. Here is the table to the Premier league. In the top right you can check out the other four top leagues in England... And I agree with you with the Pistons terrible now i much prefer soccer over the NBA. This ends a 11 year run in the Premier league for Blackburn who I have always rooted for. But I like to watch other clubs like Chelsea Man u., and Manchester city , and others. I like the way they do it with promotions and relegation's... Reading and Southampton are moving up along with either West Ham United (who won their playoff) or Blackpool and or Birmingham. One of the 3.. i find myself watching alot of the sport during relegation time and for all the trophy cups too.. Top 4 get to go to the Champions league for all the top clubs in Europa.. 4th place has to qualify... if Chelsea wins next week in Munich in the championship final they will take the 4th spot away i think.. Also the 5th place club gets to play in a smaller Europe league.. Plus England has the FA cup which Chelsea just won and the smaller Carling Cup which Liverpool won earlier this year.... I find myself reading up on the clubs because their history's are mostly longer then our baseball teams which I like... Plus all the stadiums are really cool.. Man the fans were giving it to the Blackburn owner, manager and players after they lost today..

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/tables/_/league/eng.1/english-premier-league?cc=5901

Last edited:
I mean we complain that hockey does not have enough goals but I have been getting into the tactics of each game. I have a lot of respect for soccer players...That season is a damn long one over there.

Last edited:
That's along the lines of what I thought ... that relegated meant sent to a lower league and that the MAN CITY, MAN U, ARSENAL, etc would advance to play in a European League, having come out of the EPL.

Thanks, Cheeno -- next question is whether or not players play on multiple clubs simultaneously? I recognize more than a few EPL players from World Cup matches (most from England roster) and that makes sense, to play for the national team. But is the Chelsea team playing Munich a different roster/club from the Chelsea team that is 5th in the EPL standings?

Many players do play for their national team and club team at the same time. Players can be loaned out to other clubs either in or out of their league season (but cannot play against the team which loaned them). As far as champions league (major Europe club tournament) goes it would be the same roster with their best players all playing. This is not always the case during the league year or in lesser cups as top level soccer tends to rest their players and mix up line ups and formations more than most other sports. The only way a top player wouldn't play in a champions league match significantly changing the roster is if that player is potentially involved in a move with another champions league qualifying club, and if they play two matches with that club hay are tied to them for the entrity of champions league play reducing their value in a move. So in short the EPL and champions league roster would be the same against Munich as it was in a big EPL match.

Back