Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Patriots 2009 Draft Class

chung vollmer and edelman with significant playing time on a super bowl team....not a horrible draft. Alot of people on this board wanted darius butler...he didnt pan out but you cant blame them for the pick at the time.

chung vollmer and edelman with significant playing time on a super bowl team....not a horrible draft. Alot of people on this board wanted darius butler...he didnt pan out but you cant blame them for the pick at the time.

I know its not horrid like Millen's drafts but I always seem to see from Detroit fans, "NE did it again" on draft day. No ones perfect.

of course no ones perfect because drafting is a game of incomplete information so there's always gonna be mistakes. I bet their batting average for the last decade is at least 200 points higher than ours though!

of course no ones perfect because drafting is a game of incomplete information so there's always gonna be mistakes. I bet their batting average for the last decade is at least 200 points higher than ours though!

That's because we had the anti-draft guru in Millen.

That's because we had the anti-draft guru in Millen.

In all fairness to Millen there was a fair amount of his picks that were bust because of plain old bad luck. The guys track record was remarkable. 8 years into his reign of terror something like <15% of the guys he drafted were still in the NFL! You could almost assuredly have a higher hit percentage picking guys blind as long as they were slotted withing a relatively close +/- a round. With that said I have no sympathy for the man because he made a ton of other bad deals as a GM and was, in general, a buffoon when it came to running a NFL franchise.

Pats Pack Steelers all seem to be the best drafters

Can't forget the Ravens (Ozzie is a BOSS) or for the most part the Bill Polian Colts. They essentially built a perennial contender without ever signing marquee FA's and picking in the bottom few spots of every round they drafted in for over a decade. The crazy old buzzard always found guys in the later rounds who could come in and fit that Cover 2 system adequately while simultaneously spending virtually nothing on the defensive side of the ball in free agency. He pretty much set the modern blueprint for quickly building a winner. Get a franchise QB, load up your passing game around em to put points on the board to make other teams play catch up, then load up on your pass rush and hope to get to the QB and create pressure turnovers. Highly underrated GM to your casual fan.

Call it bad luck all you want but the guys he drafted were bad..F level. He had no clue.

I think the colts were more of, put anybody on offense and Peyton will make them good. Rather than colts drafting.

Back