Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

You're the GM, make one realistic move...

kingofdetroit57

You are the Tigers GM and need to make one REALISTIC move to improve this team. What are you doing?

For me, I'd go big. I think I'd be looking to trade for Cole Hamels or Josh Beckett.

Hamels would cost more cash this year, but should be cheaper in trade because he's in a contract year. He'd be great because he's a dominant lefty. They may even package Victorino with him (also in a contract year), who would be an upgrade at either corner OF spot. You'd probably have to give up at least one big prospect and eat all the cash, but I'd be all for it.

Beckett is having a shit season so far, seems to be unhappy and apathetic in Boston, and needs a change of scenery. They could stand to shake things up and shed some of that huge payroll. Beckett is a perfect trade candidate. He's signed through 2014 at $15.75mil/yr, so he'd likely cost you at least two big prospects. I'd gladly make that deal, even if it was Turner and Castellanos.

Oh, and the Tigers starting rotation leads the AL in FIP, xFIP, SIERA, and K:BB ratio.

We rank 3rd in WAR and tERA.

Basically, our starting rotation has been the best in the league, there's no point in giving up our best prospects to add somebody expensive like Beckett.

We need a long term option at one of the corner OF spots and 2B.

You are the Tigers GM and need to make one REALISTIC move to improve this team. What are you doing?

For me, I'd go big. I think I'd be looking to trade for Cole Hamels or Josh Beckett.

Hamels would cost more cash this year, but should be cheaper in trade because he's in a contract year. He'd be great because he's a dominant lefty. They may even package Victorino with him (also in a contract year), who would be an upgrade at either corner OF spot. You'd probably have to give up at least one big prospect and eat all the cash, but I'd be all for it.

Beckett is having a shit season so far, seems to be unhappy and apathetic in Boston, and needs a change of scenery. They could stand to shake things up and shed some of that huge payroll. Beckett is a perfect trade candidate. He's signed through 2014 at $15.75mil/yr, so he'd likely cost you at least two big prospects. I'd gladly make that deal, even if it was Turner and Castellanos.

Beckett and Hamels? wuh..Starting pitching isn't the problem. we need offense. What can we get for Young? Shop him around, manadate someone watch the games on TV and report nighty who is swinging at junk and who isn't, need to make sure they don't revert back to the bad habits period. Extra batting practice daily for anyone struggling at any given time. Coaches need to do a better job spotting the flaws sooner with the bats and not weeks later. They are often to slow to adjust IMO, need better approaches on a consistent basis. It just looks like lotta time half the line up is just going up there swinging away at the first pitch they get and not looking for anything in particular.

Beckett and Hamels? wuh..Starting pitching isn't the problem. we need offense. What can we get for Young? Shop him around, manadate someone watch the games on TV and report nighty who is swinging at junk and who isn't, need to make sure they don't revert back to the bad habits period. Extra batting practice daily for anyone struggling at any given time. Coaches need to do a better job spotting the flaws sooner with the bats and not weeks later. They are often to slow to adjust IMO, need better approaches on a consistent basis. it just looks like lotta time half the line up is just going up there swinging away at the first pitch they get and not looking for anything in particular.

yup, we call that the McClendon Method.

Last edited:
We've gotta be thinking of going all in over the next couple seasons. Mr. I is old, wants a ring in the worst way, has the money to spend, and is already heavily invested.

I don't disagree that we need to upgrade the corner OF spots and/or 2B, but I don't see a whole lot of realistic trade targets out there as of right now. Beyond that, I think we could probably upgrade those spots just by getting some at/near league average. That could be a larger trade throw in, a waiver wire addition, etc.

I think if you have the chance to add a premium starter, you gotta do it. The stats spouted about rotation ranks are a bit of fool's gold, IMHO. You can't expect Smyly to continue to lead the league in ERA. Fister will likely stay really good, but probably not close to the ridiculous numbers he posted since joining the Tigers. JV will stay as one of the best, if not the best, in baseball, but the numbers he posted last year were over the top. I think they were the best since Clemens '86 season or something along those lines. That can't be the expectation every year, even if you are the best in MLB.

I'm also thinking ahead a bit. VMart is due to return before the playoffs and for next season, and I'd expect Miggy and Fielder to return to their career numbers. I don't think we'll have such an anemic offense for much longer. If you added someone like Hamels or Beckett, you'd match or best any rotation in the league in a playoff series. JV, Hamels/Beckett, Fister as your top three is ridiculous.

Another thing to think about is if you add one of these guys with prospects and cash, you could trade another piece of value like Scherzer/Porcello/Smyly for something good.

Beckett and Hamels? wuh..Starting pitching isn't the problem. we need offense. What can we get for Young? Shop him around, manadate someone watch the games on TV and report nighty who is swinging at junk and who isn't, need to make sure they don't revert back to the bad habits period. Extra batting practice daily for anyone struggling at any given time. Coaches need to do a better job spotting the flaws sooner with the bats and not weeks later. They are often to slow to adjust IMO, need better approaches on a consistent basis. It just looks like lotta time half the line up is just going up there swinging away at the first pitch they get and not looking for anything in particular.
Nothing. Why would anybody want a drunk, anti-Semitic player with a .237avg and horrid defense who makes nearly $7mil/yr?

Last edited:
Ok, first off...your thread says make ONE move, and with that move you wanna mess with the starting rotation, seriously...we have bigger fish to fry. :nuts:

Second, Josh Beckett has an .ERA almost 6 this year, so no, I would not want him.

And Albert Pujols has a .192avg and 1hr, would you not want him either?

Trading for Hamels or Beckett is ONE move, is it not? Obviously there would have to be another move made after that if prospects were what was used, no?

We've gotta be thinking of going all in over the next couple seasons. Mr. I is old, wants a ring in the worst way, has the money to spend, and is already heavily invested.

I don't disagree that we need to upgrade the corner OF spots and/or 2B, but I don't see a whole lot of realistic trade targets out there as of right now. Beyond that, I think we could probably upgrade those spots just by getting some at/near league average. That could be a larger trade throw in, a waiver wire addition, etc.

I think if you have the chance to add a premium starter, you gotta do it. The stats spouted about rotation ranks are a bit of fool's gold, IMHO. You can't expect Smyly to continue to lead the league in ERA. Fister will likely stay really good, but probably not close to the ridiculous numbers he posted since joining the Tigers. JV will stay as one of the best, if not the best, in baseball, but the numbers he posted last year were over the top. I think they were the best since Clemens '86 season or something along those lines. That can't be the expectation every year, even if you are the best in MLB.

I'm also thinking ahead a bit. VMart is due to return before the playoffs and for next season, and I'd expect Miggy and Fielder to return to their career numbers. I don't think we'll have such an anemic offense for much longer. If you added someone like Hamels or Beckett, you'd match or best any rotation in the league in a playoff series. JV, Hamels/Beckett, Fister as your top three is ridiculous.

Another thing to think about is if you add one of these guys with prospects and cash, you could trade another piece of value like Scherzer/Porcello/Smyly for something good.

1. The stats I posted included 1.5 starts from Fister.
2. Smyly's ERA is irrelevant to the stats I posted.
3. Verlanders year last year had nothing to do with the stats I posted.

Trading for Hamels or Beckett is ONE move, is it not? Obviously there would have to be another move made after that if prospects were what was used, no?

Yes, it's ONE move, but why would you use that move to address an area that is not a problem?

Bullpen, corner OF, 2B, DH....all these problems would come before a starting pitcher.

And Scherzer makes peanuts, Beckett makes millions, so you would add a good deal to the payroll for similar results.

Horrible trade/idea for a trade.

Back