Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Federov retiring

One of the greatest talents in NHL history. There are less than a handful of players EVER that could have been an MVP as a forward and a Norris trophy winner as a defenseman. Sergei could have been either. I don't like all the flak he gets.

He may have looked like he was loafing because he made it look so effortless. Just like when you watch the PGA, golf looks easy. Mere mortals could not do what Sergei did. I remember watching Game 4 against the Ducks in 2003 and loving Sergei's effort. For all the people that want to put him down, there was not single Red Wing that put forth the effort and intensity that he did in that game. Yzerman, Shanahan, Hull, Lidstrom, they all packed it in by the 3rd period. Nearly all hope was lost and Federov was still giving his all.

Just because he made it look easy most of the time does not mean he was loafing. Backs against the wall, no hope in sight, and Fedorov was the only Wing giving his all. He was so good he made it look easy, and people give him so much shit. I love Federov.

The Wings have 3 cups that would not exist without Federov. The same number they would not have if Yzerman did not exist.

His number should be retired. The Red Wings could play another 300 years of hockey and they will not have a player that is better or contributes more to the TEAM and ORGANIZATION than Federov did. I fear his skill and tenacity will be lost in memory.

Federov, Yzerman, and Lidstrom are the three men most directly responsible for the cherished Stanley Cups.

The beast has three backs and #91 is one of them.

"He may have looked like he was loafing because he made it look so effortless" or he might have been loafing. No one says you have to stop after you become great. When I watch him play in Detroit, he could have been so much better.

Reminds me of Randy Moss, great player and great talent and great stats but those times there were a bit of laziness.

"He may have looked like he was loafing because he made it look so effortless" or he might have been loafing. No one says you have to stop after you become great. When I watch him play in Detroit, he could have been so much better.

Reminds me of Randy Moss, great player and great talent and great stats but those times there were a bit of laziness.

I don't think he was lazy.

But I do think he was resentful that as good as he was he would never be more than #2 on the team, and I think he let it affect his play.

So I agree, he could have been much better.

I don't think he was lazy.

But I do think he was resentful that as good as he was he would never be more than #2 on the team, and I think he let it affect his play.

So I agree, he could have been much better.

You might be right and though we all thought he was so good, Yzerman was the man around here..

Federov is one the greatest red wings to ever wear the jersey. I don't think he was as lazy as people like to think he is. I think part of his problem was that he was so good that when he wasn't doing amazing things it was more noticeable. Lets be honest every player takes a few games off throughout the season it would be impossible not to. that goes for every sport besides maybe football because there are so few games. His other problem i think was that he publicly complained about contracts and a few other things. People were looking to jump all over him because of all that so there was more of a spotlight on him.

I agree with the above posters the wings would not have won those cups without him. I do think they may have gotten one not zero like was implied but there is no question that Federov was a major part of all 3 of those cups.

It always bothered me when he got booed coming back to the Joe. i think the fans owed him more than that. I know he left the Wings under somewhat bad terms but he gave enough to the team for the years that he was there that he should have not been booed.I also agree with the above posters that he was always bothered by being number 2 on the team behind Yzerman, but to be fair when you are that good at something be it hockey, business, or whatever anyone would want to be recognized for it. I think too many people rushed to judge him without really thinking it through.

He was lazy at time. He was still great but give me Yzerman any day.

He was lazy at time. He was still great but give me Yzerman any day.

I agree with you about Yzerman any day. That is why Federov was always going to be number 2 on the team. I bet however, and i cant think of any examples, but i'm sure it happened that Yzerman played a few games where he probably could have given a little more effort. Its just people were always all over Federov looking to point out when he was not giving his all.

There was a few years in his career in Detroit that he bought into being a superstar and didnt put up the numbers like he could have. I remember when Nike gave him the white skates and plastered him all over the tv and posters. That year was disappointing. People always wanted to see him play to his complete ability. I never thought he was lazy but there was definitely times he could have been better but just didnt seem focused.

You guys mention "didn't seem focused", "could have been better" -- that's the classic definition of lazy.

You guys mention "didn't seem focused", "could have been better" -- that's the classic definition of lazy.

Nah to me lazy is just not trying hard.

When I said Sergei could have been better, I think it was more of a mental/psychological issue, than just not giving a shit (classic definition of lazy).

Back