Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Polanco Homers for his 2000th hit

The Tigers 2B outproduced Polanco in both 2010 and 2011 at the plate.

Factoring in Polanco's age, salary, and injuries, and it's pretty clear the Tigers were right to let him go.

Yeah congrats to Polly, good player, there aren't many out of the what is it 15,000 or 17,000 players in mlb history with 2,000 hits, Polanco is the 269th to accomplish.
I think everyone knew that not signing him would look bad the first year, and less the 2nd and 3rd years of the contract he signed with philly. With how poor the Tigers 2B production is, if he was available I wouldn't mind seeing DD get him back to play 2B. couldn't be worse than the ray oyler trio.

Congrats! 2000 hits is quite a milestone.

Let's hope after getting 2000 hits he doesn't get a big head....

...oops.

Last edited:
I think we should discuss this some more ..Because like Mjsb2 said you have to factor in his injuries salary and such but when is too many guys a problem.. Here goes... Now we all know Polonco played mostly 3rd base those two years but anyway here is what the tigers had in 2010 and 11.

2010 Games started and WAR overall 4.3 WAR from these guys overall.. polanco had a 3.1 for 2010...
................GS.........WAR
Rhymes.....46.........1.0
Guillen .....45..........0.2
Sizemore..36.........-0.8
Santiago...12..........2.4
Raburn.....15...........1.5
Worth........8...........0.0

In 2011 Tiger hitters had a combined +0.7 WAR, and Polanco had a 1.6....Surely Polanco's .335 OBP last year would have taken some of the pressure off of Jackson last year and stretched our line-up out even more while he was playing.
2011...........GS.........WAR
Santiago......40...........1.6
Raburn........55..........-0.1
Guillen.........25.........-0.3
Rhymes........22........-0.4
Sizemore......17..........0.1
Worth............3.........-0.2

Last edited:
We also committed 34 errors over two years 16 in 2010 and 18 in 2011 while Polanco committed 2 for the tigers in 2009, and 5 in 2010, and 8 in 2011 (again mostly playing 3rd for Philadelphia) remember he had that great fielding stretch with Detroit.. I think it is worth the argument that having a steady 2nd basemen who can play 132 games and 122 games is better then throwing a guy on the dart board to see who sticks..

I will give raburn credit this year his fielding is much better but he did commit 10 of the 18 second basemen errors last year in 55 games ...He only had 1 in 2010 in much less games. The Hitting numbers could change a tad depending on who played second base and when give or take a tad but if you ask me if a team has had 7 different 2nd basemen in two year's counting Inge has a real big problem.

Last edited:
Yeah, as I said in another thread, the problem isn't that we let Polanco go, it's that we have failed to find a suitable replacement.

Polanco isn't even the best 2B we've let go in the past 3 years for nothing.

Back