Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Brad Ausmus World Baseball Classic Team Israel

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...-Team-Israel-World-Baseball-Classic-qualifier
Report: Ex-Tiger Brad Ausmus to manage Team Israel in World Baseball Classic qualifier.
from detnews

Ausmus is expected to be joined in the dugout by another ex-Tiger, Gabe Kapler, and former major leaguer Shawn Green.
Kapler and Green could decide to serve as player/coaches.
Ausmus, Kapler and Green already are in the process of recruiting players; no doubt, they are targeting several major leaguers with some Jewish heritage, including Milwaukee's Ryan Braun and Texas' Ian Kinsler.

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/...21&content_id=31904178&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb
Ausmus named coach of Israel for Classic.
Green, Kapler commit; team hopeful for Braun, Youk, Kinsler.
from mlb.com

Last edited:
Lmao. I'm sorry but come on, Israel?

Though I did read this.

Israel’s entry in the tournament raises some interesting possibilities. According to the rules, a player is eligible to join a team if a player is a citizen of the nation, qualified for citizenship or can hold a passport of that country. A player who has one parent who is, or was, a citizen of that nation, can also join that team.

Under these rules, several players in Major League Baseball could qualify to play on the Israeli team. Imagine this team:

The infield might include Ike Davis, whose mother is Jewish, at first base; Ian Kinsler of the Rangers at second base; and Kevin Youkilis of the Red Sox at third base. Ryan Braun, the slugger for the Brewers, could bat clean up and play left field. Pitchers Scott Feldman of the Texas Rangers and Jason Marquis of the Washington Nationals could start; John Grabow of the Chicago Cubs could pitch in relief.

Last edited:
Some of those rules are dumb.

That would be like letting me play for Germany because 200 years ago my ancestors came from there.

So and so is half Jewish on his mothers side...wow sign him up for Israel.

Jewish does not = Israeli. If Israel wants a national baseball team, let them develop a program, hell they might discover some people with real talents if they just looked for it.

The Olympics have the same problem, used to be a Russian was a Russian, and Spaniard was a Spaniard, Dutch was a Dutch, Canadian was a Canadian.

Now you have athletes competing for countries some have never been to because of weakly linked heritages.

Back